Is this what i think it is?

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an effigy of a face IMO...

IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2090.JPG

Nose is on the right side of the 2nd picture

first picture shows the 2 feathers on top of the head as well as the rather large nose..

So basically what im wondering is this an effigy or? Appears to be made of copper, found in southeast gerogia on an actual indian camp (have found an arrow head/pottery there..)

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know they arent... But they had indians there and have similar culture items... And no i cant i dont know exactly what there called in hawaii... But knowing that old tribal nations used those effigies... and mine being found at a indian settlement where i have found indian items before... confirms its most likely indian.

The term is Tiki, and they are represented throughout Polynesia. I am no authority on tiki figurines, and don't know if that is what you have, or not, but Tiki has got to be what they referred to. I don't believe the logic you're using to connect Hawaiian culture with native culture in Georgia is valid, but I don't know what you have.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiki

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have good news! I showed it to someone at church and they recognized it! He said they had them all over the place in Hawaii. They represented family members... so this was based off an actual person! They made them up until the 1800s. But based on the pottery shards found in the area it probably dates back alot further. So it IS Indian and did represent someone.... However i talked to a police officer im friends with... and it is illegal to sell in georgia. Because they were also used in prayers / festivals... so it is a cultural item, which in georgia is illegal to sell... So i technically found a priceless artifact...

it's hard to believe that a police officer would know what you say he knows, regarding an item that has not been conclusively identified yet. How does the police officer know you found something that was used in prayers by Native Americans in Georgia? I'm sure he does not know that, actually. I can understand your excitement, but you may be jumping the gun. Can we be sure you found a Tiki in Georgia? Are you simply assuming that natives in Georgia also fashioned Tikis, and for the same reason as Polynesians? You may be jumping to hasty conclusions in your eagerness to solve the mystery of what you found. It sure sounds like you're using questionable logic here. No offense, I can understand you want to solve the mystery, but you're making quite a few assumptions by the sounds of it. I'd like to know if what you found is an Hawaiian Tiki in Georgia. If it is, maybe lost by someone who brought it back to Georgia. Or maybe the church member you mention was simply making a guess....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Maori Hei-tiki neck pendant:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hei-tiki

It would be false logic to conclude that because Maori and native Hawaiians were both tribal people, and fashioned Tiki figurines related to ancestor veneration, that therefore natives in Georgia, because they were also tribal people, most likely fashioned similar figurines for similar reasons. That's faulty logic, IMHO.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Maori Hei-tiki neck pendant:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hei-tiki

It would be false logic to conclude that because Maori and native Hawaiians were both tribal people, and fashioned Tiki figurines related to ancestor veneration, that therefore natives in Georgia, because they were also tribal people, most likely fashioned similar figurines for similar reasons. That's faulty logic, IMHO.

Huh, i looked at those hei tiki, those do look quite different than mine. Thank you for the info. I went by a localish historical society because i was in the area today. They could not offer any valuable information, however, there was an actual archaeologist there who looked at my find first hand. She could not figure out what it was herself so she told me to email her pictures of it and she will show her colleague and see if they know what it is. Also she did see that it looked like a face/head... She just didnt know exactly what it came from/was meant to be.

EDIT: I read over that hei tiki article, that was not what he was talking about. He was talking something smaller. The hei tiki, 1 was worn around someones neck... and i saw pictures, they are much, much bigger. Mine is only half an inch long... + it would not of been found by a metal detector. Those were not what he described. Even if that is what he is talking about, it is not one of those due to the things that do not measure up that i mentioned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also i do not think that i am "jumping to conclusions" Lets look at these FACTS.

- Was found at a indian settlement
- looks and has features of an indian
- is made of the right material to be indian

What more does it need to be proven Indian than an archaeologist saying "this is indian" . based on logic, reason, and facts i can conclude this is indian related.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a geologist may have a different opinion...

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
My first impression was natural, and after going through the entire thread, I still think it is.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first impression was natural, and after going through the entire thread, I still think it is.

It absolutely baffles me how people thing this looks natural. I dont know if its the pictures or what, but everyone i have showed out side of this fourm, even TRAINED ARCHAEOLOGISTS have said it definitely looks like a pendant of some kind... And im not taking this to a geologist. A archaeologist (which by the way i take there opinion over anyone on this fourm) would know if its just a geofact or a rock.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
trained archaeologists can be wrong too. All I'm saying is that a geologist may look at that and know exactly what it is. And though you may scoff at the amateurs on this site, many of us have found, held, studied and examined FAR more artifacts in our given area than many of your trained archaeologists ever have or will. Most of the archaeologist I know (and I know A LOT) are all about the dig, the context, and the write up. I know very few that can identify a Rogue River, from a Wallula Gap, from a Rabbit Island, from a Snake River, from a Columbia Plateau. Yes an archaeologist is a good resource, but in this case where so many of us are skeptical, and the artifact is so unique to our experience, and we know of and can find no other examples....a geologist is where you go next.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trained archaeologists can be wrong too. All I'm saying is that a geologist may look at that and know exactly what it is. And though you may scoff at the amateurs on this site, many of us have found, held, studied and examined FAR more artifacts in our given area than many of your trained archaeologists ever have or will. Most of the archaeologist I know (and I know A LOT) are all about the dig, the context, and the write up. I know very few that can identify a Rogue River, from a Wallula Gap, from a Rabbit Island, from a Snake River, from a Columbia Plateau. Yes an archaeologist is a good resource, but in this case where so many of us are skeptical, and the artifact is so unique to our experience, and we know of and can find no other examples....a geologist is where you go next.

the only ones who are skeptical are the people on this site... ive told people i showed this to, that there are doubters saying its a rock and its natural. They look at me confused and say things like "Really?" "your kidding right" + you cant judge something you have seen 2 pictures of the thing. Everyone who has held it in there hands and seen it for themselves have said it defiantly looks a pendant of some kind.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also im not taking it to a geologist. Every reasonable open minded person can see this is not a rock. I will not go to a geologist to impress someone will find some excuse after that

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also im not taking it to a geologist. Every reasonable open minded person can see this is not a rock. I will not go to a geologist to impress someone will find some excuse after that

1. It has some slight resemblance to some of the Poverty Point artifacts I have seen.

B. It looks a lot like a bunch of naturally formed geofacts that I have found over time.

4. The geologist could answer questions for YOU, not for us. Cause although it is interesting, really, none of us have a dog in this fight. Take it, or don't, but do it for your own reasons.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. It has some slight resemblance to some of the Poverty Point artifacts I have seen.

B. It looks a lot like a bunch of naturally formed geofacts that I have found over time.

4. The geologist could answer questions for YOU, not for us. Cause although it is interesting, really, none of us have a dog in this fight. Take it, or don't, but do it for your own reasons.

i could maybe some how see that if it was multiple items... but its all 1 item... its not glued together or anything its 1 thing... nature could not of put that how it is... + it was found with a metal detector

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"even TRAINED ARCHAEOLOGISTS have said it definitely looks like a pendant of some kind... And im not taking this to a geologist. A archaeologist (which by the way i take there opinion over anyone on this fourm) would know if its just a geofact or a rock."

And there was your answer, "definitely looks like a pendant of some kind"

There are two to many words in their statement you quoted.

Looks like, and is, are two different things.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
i could maybe some how see that if it was multiple items... but its all 1 item... its not glued together or anything its 1 thing... nature could not of put that how it is... + it was found with a metal detector

Oh yes nature could. That little stone while being pretty cool and made of a nice material is really not that amazing at all when you look at the Geodes, Agates, Amethyst, and other crystals formed by nature.

who stuck this one together?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...field-mangistau-kazakhstan-9.jpg&action=click

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Explain to me how this perfect clasp was formed by nature.

clasp.PNG

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
effigybruh.jpg

Also explain how THIS is considered a poverty point effigy and mine is considered natural... mine has more detail then that thing!

effgies.jpg

Most of those look like rounded stones aswell, but yet these are known effigies... mine is far more obvious than any of those.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is exactly what a geologist could tell you...

Or quite possible, i dont know... IT DIDNT...

You also have bypassed my comment of how all those other not rounded rock effigies are any different than mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread