Flint instead of pottery today

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was pleased to see a different color in the mix today. The way it's flaked makes me think it's not a flake but maybe the base of a point but whatever it is it has been beaten up from creek tumbling. It's tiny, thin, and thinking that sandy spot is on my agenda to screen tomorrow.
This pic is to show the size. WP_20160805_006.jpg
It turned a darker color after it dried out. WP_20160805_007.jpg

Here's the other side: WP_20160805_003.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aww. Pics didn't show up for me, but it might just be because I tried viewing it earlier when I had a weak signal. Sometimes if a pic struggles on the 1st try I never get it back it seems. Whatever it looks like I hope it leads you to many more finds. Good luck!

Looks like that was some quality material, different from N. C. Rhyolite.

Looks like that was some quality material, different from N. C. Rhyolite.

I find flakes of it sometimes and think it's chert or flint and it may be like the black flint that was brought here from East Tennessee. The archeologist told me that we have argilite in our area and not rhyolite so I'm going kind of by what they say. I haven't brought the gray stuff for them to tell me about yet but will on the next archaeology day. I have a feeling some day I will find a whole point made from it since I find the flakes.

Aww. Pics didn't show up for me, but it might just be because I tried viewing it earlier when I had a weak signal. Sometimes if a pic struggles on the 1st try I never get it back it seems. Whatever it looks like I hope it leads you to many more finds. Good luck!

I really wish you could see the pics since I'd like to hear opinions on it. Hoping so maybe later.

Nice! I love finding pieces like that. Whether it is a flake or a broke, the small gouges makes me think that it was worked. Tony

It looks to be worked piece and it is a nice flint type, just not sure of the type. I've seen some from west of you like it.:thumbsup:

reminds me a lot of a broke gun flint, color and size.

Very possible on the flints. The Indian flints were a lot different from the french styles. If the underside of the pieces is flat with no work it might be one. Sure is a pretty color

Very possible on the flints. The Indian flints were a lot different from the french styles. If the underside of the pieces is flat with no work it might be one. Sure is a pretty color
The underside I meant to post a pic of but somehow didn't, is worked but also chipped. I'll add it when I get home later today.

The underside I meant to post a pic of but somehow didn't, is worked but also chipped. I'll add it when I get home later today.

Looks like our hornstone material here. It can show some beautiful work.

I have several flakes of the same material and waiting for it to roll up as a complete point someday.

It will "rolll up"you are way due for a real nice one. Do you want to see some hornstone to compare? It may be more common in my area.

Well doesnt look like a flint just a flake

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back