Had permission to walk, hunt, drive ATV and explore....
Perhaps. But did you "have permission" to keep a bonanza of goodies (a cache) taken from those lands ?
.......
Tom... if you dug up an old container with 20-30 gold coins (or many more) from late 1849 thru 1853 on public property you had permission to access and MD would you tell the world? Would you go to the city and say "Look what I found"? Would you give it to them? .......
If "following the law" meant I needed to declare to that particular public entity (whatever form of public land they were on), then sure. Afterall, this is all about keeping laws, right ? And if the law had things about "removing", "collecting", "harvesting", and "cultural heritage", well ...... gee, what's not to understand ? You're not advocating breaking those type laws right ?
but I sure wouldn't put it all on the line to debate ownership ....
DEBATE OWNERSHIP ?? What's there to "debate" ? The law clearly states that resources on public land (parks, schools, beaches, forests, etc...) are not yours to take home for personal enrichment. As I said, there are certainly (if you asked enough questions , and looked long enough and hard enough) laws that forbid that.
Now obviously, you can see I jest. HOWEVER, when the subject comes up for various entities, and various countries, the silly-ness that I'm describing is EXACTLY WHAT GOES DOWN !! People go asking various bureaucrats and lawyers, and come up with technical laws like I'm citing here. And heaven help the person who says "nah, just do it". They are labeled as someone "advocating" the breaking of laws. Or that they are in "imminent danger of arrests, tickets, etc....".
So in the same way you and most folks can see the sillyness of asking if you can keep goodies you found (and getting silly answers), SO TOO do I sometimes have to wonder, when I read of persons citing rules that forbid you and I from detecting somewhere, turning in all goodies, or entire countries off-limits, etc.... I begin to wonder if such revelations are simply an exercise of the silly-ness I'm trying to portray here.