What's new

Will the Real Treasure Hunter Please Stand Up???

If the Lord is guiding you, why would you need a detector? You should just be able to walk out there and dig treasure with your hands.🤷🏼 There is nothing supernatural happening when you find a Christian cross while running a detector on the beach.
Oh, you mean like all of this that I found last Tuesday at a water park in Orlando... without my detector? God absolutely leads my steps and my coil. Sorry that you don't have sight to see Him all around you...

20250520_211105~2.webp


Bran <><
 
I, based on first hand experience, starting at the late fifties, disagree.

MANY of our metal detecting adventures were planed around fabled or documented hoards, accidents and so on.

Even when I focus was on the big win, we had 9-5 jobs, school and so on we had to return to, when the weekend was over.

If, as they say, a professional is someone paid, there are a lot of treasure hunters who are far from professionals, even as many using detectors get paid regularly.

We, often, used our detectors to locate cites where it was indicated there might be a small treasure. Things like homesteads, where their bank was a mason jar with a rubber gasket glass lid buried in a shallow location.

Or there was the saloon from over a century ago with floors that had so many gaps you didn't need a dust pan to sweep them, and all that had long since rotted away.

Then there is the mentioned "trash can be a treasure" thing. For example, I have a ZIPPO from the back yard of my first house and which is only recognizable as such because I've owned a few. Fifty years in, it's still garbage, but in my treasures bin.

Finally, there is that snobbery thing some suffer. They would, erroneously, elevate themselves above others because they don't drive a Ford / Chevy / . . . . when the reality is, they ignore facts to imagine their self elevation has put them above those they consider commoners.


Again.....it's obvious that my post was misconstrued by many as an attack, or taken as an insult by some of you. Its quite easy to take a snippet of the original post, and use it out of context and then create a post based around just a small section of the original post. So please excuse me if thats the case. I've already been warned on this thread by moderators about insults, so I'll keep this courteous. It was never supposed to be rude, or condescending, or belittling. I've tried to make apologies to the OP, and I thought that we had made amends and moved on ? But here i am Again trying to defend my original post. Only tried to point out that there are many levels to this game, and that being realistic about metal detecting and treasure hunting will help you get the most out of this hobby. Now when you quote a small part of my post and then add vague comments about snobbery, and a sense of being above, or better than the rest of you, I have to think that you are directly aiming that comment at me ? After all, you are quoting my post ? If thats not the case then who are these snobby, self elevating, delusional people? Are you referring to me sir ? If thats the case then I will absolutely defend myself and make a counter statement to your insult !! So far in this thread I've been accused of faking a post with AI, I've been called butt hurt for defending myself, I've been told my post was horrible and disgusting to read, and now I can't help but think I'm being called a snob, and ignorant of facts ? So here i am defending myself again !! I can't help but think that my post has made people rethink just exactly how they view themselves in the context of treasurehunting. If i use extreme sarcasm as I did after being directly insulted then I'm warned about the exact thing I'm responding to....insults !! Never once did i say that you are not a treasurehunter, I only stated that being realistic with yourself will give you the best results in this hobby....or even career if thats what treasurehunting is for you ? Sorry I did not respond earlier, but I was very busy with my 9-5 job, which I go to in my old red Ford f-150 from 2003....which is paid for 10 years ago with 2 fat gold chains found treasurehunting!! Ya see....were not really to different at all !! Am i supposed to apologize for making treasurehunting part of my career ? Am I being a snobb by seeking more from treasurehunting than just the hobby level ? I congratulate you on your long and wonderful journey treasurehunting/metaldetecting. But please don't attack me for the path I'm taking with treasurehunting/metaldetecting !! To each his own !! Wishing you the best sir....but i take offense to your last paragraph, and will defend my honor !!
 
Which ever you are, never be ashamed of it...there is a little metal detectorist in every treasurehunter, and a little treasurehunter in every metal detectorist !! We are closely related creatures. But for the sake of being true to ones self....reflect a minute and ask yourself which of the 2 you really are....once your realistic with yourself about these differences you will find more satisfaction in which ever category you fall under
Also a part of my original post ?? Was this wrong to say ?? 🤔
 
Also a part of my original post ?? Was this wrong to say ?? 🤔
Wrong? It's more of a subjective statement. Myself (and I would assume many others) may see ourselves as both... which is probably why it struck a certain chord. 🤷🏽‍♂️ We're all good though. 👍🏽

Bran <><
 
Yup...all good brother!! Just defending myself with @Dejure I don't think I'm a snob or better than anyone else....I'm not ignorant or self agrandizing either....I just lean more to the side of a treasurehunter than a metaldetectorist. Only because 75% of the time I'm not using the metal detector. Many treasures I seek are non metallic, and can't be found with one. We each seek different treasures, and many have nothing to do with metal. I also like to sell these treasures and get paid !! So for me it's not always a hobby !! I'm just like you guys, and standing up as real treasure hunter too. Congrats on your recent finds !! My whole life has been dedicated to finding things. My 9-5 jobs for 25+years has been about finding treasures.
 
Yup...all good brother!! Just defending myself with @Dejure I don't think I'm a snob or better than anyone else....I'm not ignorant or self agrandizing either....I just lean more to the side of a treasurehunter than a metaldetectorist. Only because 75% of the time I'm not using the metal detector. Many treasures I seek are non metallic, and can't be found with one. We each seek different treasures, and many have nothing to do with metal. I also like to sell these treasures and get paid !! So for me it's not always a hobby !! I'm just like you guys, and standing up as real treasure hunter too. Congrats on your recent finds !! My whole life has been dedicated to finding things. My 9-5 jobs for 25+years has been about finding treasures.
I'd certainly love for treasure hunting & metal detecting to be my 9-5, but I don't see it ever paying my bills... even with the finds I come across (found 4 more small melted gold nuggets & a 10K gold/diamond ring yesterday, and another 14K white gold band a few days before that). But I'm still happy for it to be a hobby, all the same. Maybe I'll get to where you're at someday... ya never know 🤷🏽‍♂️

1000035872.webp

1000035983.webp


Bran <><
 
I'd certainly love for treasure hunting & metal detecting to be my 9-5, but I don't see it ever paying my bills... even with the finds I come across (found 4 more small melted gold nuggets & a 10K gold/diamond ring yesterday, and another 14K white gold band a few days before that). But I'm still happy for it to be a hobby, all the same. Maybe I'll get to where you're at someday... ya never know 🤷🏽‍♂️

View attachment 2209769
View attachment 2209770

Bran <><
Have you tested your melted gold?...it looks like brass fire nuggs. Burning wood in beach fires creates these from Burning wood with brass fasteners in it. I would consider testing it because gold will be as bright as the day it melted....yours looks tarnished like brass ?
 
Have you tested your melted gold?...it looks like brass fire nuggs. Burning wood in beach fires creates these from Burning wood with brass fasteners in it. I would consider testing it because gold will be as bright as the day it melted....yours looks tarnished like brass ?

I have not, but I did just get an acid test kit delivered about a week ago. Based on the weight of it, as well as the sound they make when I clink them together in my hand... I don't believe its brass. And lesser quality gold will not always come out of the water shiney. I had a 10K ring once that I thought was a junk ring that looked like tarnished silver. I almost threw it out, until I noticed a 10K stamp inside. After cleaning it up it went from a tarnished silver look to a shiny gold color. That's indictive when copper & nickel is mixed with the gold. But we'll see for sure with mine after I get a chance to test them. 😊

Bran <><
 
I have not, but I did just get an acid test kit delivered about a week ago. Based on the weight of it, as well as the sound they make when I clink them together in my hand... I don't believe its brass. And lesser quality gold will not always come out of the water shiney. I had a 10K ring once that I thought was a junk ring that looked like tarnished silver. I almost threw it out, until I noticed a 10K stamp inside. After cleaning it up it went from a tarnished silver look to a shiny gold color. That's indictive when copper & nickel is mixed with the gold. But we'll see for sure with mine after I get a chance to test them. 😊

Bran <><
Thread 'Black Gold !!' https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/black-gold.694006/
Yes sir I'm quite familiar with black gold....good luck with your test....please post your results im very curious to see your results now !!
 
Oh, you mean like all of this that I found last Tuesday at a water park in Orlando... without my detector? God absolutely leads my steps and my coil. Sorry that you don't have sight to see Him all around you...

View attachment 2209752

Bran <><
I'll add a couple to yours that I found without a detector yesterday, they're nowhere near impressive as your water park finds but I think there's a deeper meaning and confirmation behind 1 of the finds.

Back in Feb, we had to put our dog down due to bone cancer. We had him for 11 years, so it was pretty rough on the wife and me, to the point of her saying out of frustration that we're not getting any more dogs, she doesn't want to deal with their deaths anymore. I knew she didn't mean that but was just emotionally upset with the whole situation. We've been pretty miserable since having to put our buddy down, it just hasn't felt the same around the house. But over the last couple of weeks, I could sense that she was reconsidering her earlier statement as she started dropping "hints" to me about possibly getting another dog.

Then, a few days ago, she tells me that our local Humane Society is having a Memorial Day "sale", where this weekend, dogs can be adopted for a fee of only $50.00, which is much less than the normal fee. Then, I find out that as a Veteran, my adoption fee is totally waived, so I won't have to pay anything for the adoption. So, yesterday, the wife and I took a drive and decided to drop by the Humane Society to "take a look" at the dogs they had available. Here's where it gets interesting. I pull my truck into a space to park, and a woman volunteer just happened to be walking one of the dogs in front of my truck as I pulled into the parking space. She stopped, waited until I got out and around the truck to get my wife out, and we started talking. She introduced us to "Bane", who was the dog she was walking. As she was talking, I looked down on the ground and there was a piece of jewelry laying there, a letter "R" that looked like it came off a charm bracelet or necklace. I picked it up, put it in my pocket, and wondered if it might be a sign.

We looked at over 40 dogs and had them bring another one out to meet us in the courtyard. We really liked this dog as well, but my wife said to me, before we make any decision, I'd like them to bring Bane out to meet us, the dog that we first met when we were parking and when I found that letter "R" piece. After spending time with Bane, I asked the wife what she wanted to do, and she said she was leaning more towards Bane. I loved them both, so I said let's get Bane then. We filled out all the paperwork, arranged to come back the next day (today) at 1pm to pick him up. We continued driving around before heading to the food store so I asked my wife what she would like to name the dog, as we both didn't really care for the name "Bane". She said she had 2 names that she's been holding onto, in case we did get another dog, so she said either Solley or Remy, both are characters on TV shows she watches, Remy is on one of the FBI shows she watches, not sure about Solley. I didn't particularly care for the name "Solley" but I thought "Remy" sounded cool, so we both decided that we'd name him "Remy".

Hmmm, wait a sec, we met that lady volunteer walking Bane when we parked my truck, and that's where I found the letter "R" charm, we arranged to get the dog and decided to name him Remy, which happens to start with the letter "R". Coincidence? Maybe, or maybe not, maybe finding that letter "R" piece of jewelry was a sign meant to let us know that we'd be getting that dog and would be giving him a name that started with the letter "R". Who's to say, but it is highly coincidental at the very least. We picked Remy up earlier today, he's now laying peacefully next to me after a full afternoon of meeting new family, playing, throwing balls, taking walks, etc.

But wait, there's more, lol. After leaving the Humane Society, we go food shopping. I'm pushing the cart, the wife heads down one of the aisles to get a can of air freshener, so I stopped pushing the cart to wait, happened to look down at the ground and right there under my cart was a very shiny and new looking quarter. I pick it up and tell the wife "I've found jewelry and a quarter today and didn't even use my detector", lol.

The quarter was no big deal, clad after all, lol, but that letter "R" piece of jewelry, found while speaking with the dog walking volunteer, who happened to be walking the exact dog we wound up adopting, which my wife decided to rename with a name she's been holding onto for just this moment that just also happened to start with the letter "R", it was pretty surreal.
 

Attachments

  • 20250525_193736.webp
    20250525_193736.webp
    656.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Late to the most recent discussion, but my initial thought was that it is a little naïve attempting to draw a straight line between a “treasure hunter” and a “detectorist”. Things just are not black and white like that.

There is a lot of middle ground and a bunch of cross over.

I’m just an adventurist that uses a detector to trace history and occasionally find some fascinating things.
 
Late to the most recent discussion, but my initial thought was that it is a little naïve attempting to draw a straight line between a “treasure hunter” and a “detectorist”. Things just are not black and white like that.

There is a lot of middle ground and a bunch of cross over.

I’m just an adventurist that uses a detector to trace history and occasionally find some fascinating things.
I agree and your post gave me a thought. Everybody seems to be discussing who is a "treasure hunter", who isn't, and so on. But I think what's been missing is that nobody has explicably defined exactly what "treasure" is. I think we need to define what "treasure" is in order to be able to say who is or who isn't a treasure hunter. That said, who exactly would be the supremely qualified person(s) who could make that determination? I don't think it's something that can be defined. Just like they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think treasure is in the eye of the finder.

In order to be considered "treasure", does it have to be an old wooden box full of silver or gold coins? Does it have to be an old leather satchel filled with money that some late 1800's bandit hid in a cave? Or can it simply be finding a lost gold, silver, diamond ring or bracelet or necklace?

We all have our own idea of what treasure is to us. For me, I love finding silver & gold coins, rings, and jewelry as much as the next guy, but for some unexplained reason, I seem to get the biggest thrill when I find a late 1800's Indian Head Penny, and I have no idea why, lol. It's not gold or silver, and it's only a penny, but there's just something about IHP's that gives me a huge rush when I find one. So, to me, finding an IHP is finding treasure, because that coin is treasure in my eyes, along with finding other old coins and rings/jewelry at the beach.

I don't think there's only 1 specific definition as to what defines "treasure", so without being able to define exactly what treasure really is, I don't think we can say who is or who isn't a real treasure hunter.
 
I agree and your post gave me a thought. Everybody seems to be discussing who is a "treasure hunter", who isn't, and so on. But I think what's been missing is that nobody has explicably defined exactly what "treasure" is. I think we need to define what "treasure" is in order to be able to say who is or who isn't a treasure hunter. That said, who exactly would be the supremely qualified person(s) who could make that determination? I don't think it's something that can be defined. Just like they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think treasure is in the eye of the finder.

In order to be considered "treasure", does it have to be an old wooden box full of silver or gold coins? Does it have to be an old leather satchel filled with money that some late 1800's bandit hid in a cave? Or can it simply be finding a lost gold, silver, diamond ring or bracelet or necklace?

We all have our own idea of what treasure is to us. For me, I love finding silver & gold coins, rings, and jewelry as much as the next guy, but for some unexplained reason, I seem to get the biggest thrill when I find a late 1800's Indian Head Penny, and I have no idea why, lol. It's not gold or silver, and it's only a penny, but there's just something about IHP's that gives me a huge rush when I find one. So, to me, finding an IHP is finding treasure, because that coin is treasure in my eyes, along with finding other old coins and rings/jewelry at the beach.

I don't think there's only 1 specific definition as to what defines "treasure", so without being able to define exactly what treasure really is, I don't think we can say who is or who isn't a real treasure hunter.
I’m ok finding it a little bit over time or all at once. Either way is good with me.

Kind of like questioning who the “real” cowboys are. Does it include rodeo athletes, people that live a certain lifestyle, or just ranch hands that actually feed/work cattle?

I’ll let others worry about what to call me and just keep doing my thing.
 
Last edited:
I’m ok finding it a little bit over time or all at once. Either way is good with me.

Kind of like questioning who the “real” cowboys are. Does it include rodeo athletes, people that live a certain lifestyle, or just ranch hands that actually feed/work cattle?

I’ll let others worry about what to call me and just keep doing my thing.
Exactly. I've never been one to give a hoot about what others think.

My wife used to own horses and barrel race, she has the huge belt buckle from a competition and some ribbons she won. Whew Hew, I do believe I married a Cowgirl! Damn, I need to get some boots and a hat, lol.
 
“Used to own” dang! They are capable of coming out the other side unscathed?! That’s unusual for a barrel racer. Usually it progresses into a $100,000 truck, $150,000 trailer with living quarters, multiple expensive horses, and a clothing bill that likely makes Melania Trump’s budget look weak. That’s not even mentioning the fuel bill at the end of summer.
 
Last edited:
“Used to own” dang! They are capable of coming out the other side unscathed?! That’s unusual for a barrel racer. Usually it progresses into a $100,000 truck, $150,000 trailer with living quarters, multiple expensive horses, and a clothing bill that likely makes Melania Trump’s budget look weak. That’s not even mentioning the fuel bill at the end of summer.
Then lucky for me that she "used to own", lol. She wasn't on the professional circuit; it was more along the lines of amateur local circuit. But lemme tell ya, there are some definite benefits marrying a woman who knows how to ride a horse, ahem...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom