Isaacs on a HOT STREAK, SUPER WEEKEND!!! TWO MORE AWESOME BUTTONS!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HOT STREAK, SUPER WEEKEND!!! TWO AWESOME BUTTONS!

What can I say... I did it again! I was planning to go with two guys I met to relic hunt Saturday, but it unfortunately wasn't possible because the guy hosting us had his jeep got stuck in mud the day before! Bummer. Dad drove me out to a new spot instead. I decided to go to a lot nearby a house that I did well at a couple weeks ago. I stayed for two and a half hours at this new lot... my first target was a bullet at 6", this was a great sign. I then dug a whole corset (the little latch type things) and a musketball. Things were looking great at this point! I then dug a 10" deep 1880 Indian head penny and a 10" deep Williams Cleaner type two bullet which was a first for me. This was in a water logged section on the bottom of a hill. I went to the top of the hill and started gridding the whole lot and I started getting lots of signal. Surprisingly, I got a Indian head cent almost on the surface, 1904. I knew this hill was going to be the best area. I ended up pulling a 1941 nickel and 1942 Mercury dime in the same hole, another nice 1898 Indian head, and several bullets and musket balls. I also got a period toe tap. I ended up with a total of 13 balls from this site, the toe tap, 3 Indians, two Mercs, and some other odds and ends. Me and my dad went to eat a nasty Mexican lunch and then went to a another place in a different location. It was a massive lot in a developed town with an 1870s mansion on it. With some prior research we knew there was some civil war activity here and always the chance for some old coins. The owners were very elderly and gave us permission to only hunt the back fields because they had others search the front and leave nasty holes everywhere. No matter how much I tried to convince the owner to let me, he wouldn't budge, so I was content with the back fields. Even though they were trashy, I was able to squeeze out some targets. My first target was a wheat penny, and then the next was an awesome Merril Carbine bullet. Now that got the blood pumping! It was only a matter of time before the lead really started coming again! I got a musket ball, a pistol ball, a flattened bullet with knife marks and a large and deep lead bar or ingot. I moved to one side of the back-side yard and started getting more signals. My first was a huge surprise, my best carved bullet yet! This bullet was clearly carved into a spoon handle, and is made of lead, not pewter, so I will classify it as carved. Very cool! I got a suspended buckle immediately after and then a nice dropped .58 cal. I moved to a trashy part of the yard where the flood waters would rise and fall from the stream down below. It was well worth dodging the trashy signals. I got a bullet signal, and I pulled out a skeleton key! Beautiful old brass one. This was the brassy area of the yard. I got a flat button there too! After the button I didn't find much else and it got very dark. I got home and started to clean my finds when I noticed an anchor on the flat button! Wow! What a surprise! I used my oily face to give it a swipe and saw an eagle pop out as well! Apparently it was a 1795-1810 Naval button!!! What the hell was that doing at an 1870s mansion with civil war stuff? Could it have been worn by a soldier in place of the standard uniform? Or could it have been dropped before? Due to the water-logged nature of the place, the button was very thin and brittle, so I refrained from using water to clean it. It has a backmark of RM, any ideas what that means anyone? That was a killer day in quantity for sure! Quality too! I was planning to meet with a new buddy of mine, Rob, for Sunday and he came to pick me up from my place at 9:30. We got into our first site at 10, an 1890s Victorian style house in an old, promising area and it was hunted VERY hard by others. He managed an Indian and a wheatie, I got a cuff button and a wheatie. We left swiftly after that and got a tip from the owner about another site down the road we will hit in the future. We then went to a early 1900s house in a promising area nearby. I got my first signal and it was a BAD-ASS token! A Jack Dempsey boxing good luck token!!! I then got a wheat penny when my hunting parter tells me to come here, and he holds up a MASSIVE GOLD CLASS RING! I couldn't believe he kept it so quiet, I would've flipped out! He asked the owner if he's ever lost anything of sentimental value and he shook his head, so we waited to tell him what he found next time he stepped outside. We showed him the ring and his eyes lit up! "That's my ring!" he said in disbelief, and were so glad it's back to its rightful owner! He told us he had no idea where he lost it and thought his ex took it. Haha. Guess not! We snapped a pic of my hunting partner and the owner with his ring! Hopefully some good karma will come our way soon!!! I got a lonely .58 dropped three ringer and another wheat penny before we called it a day at that place, and we went looking for a homesite that had a lot of potential in the back roads. This place was a stone home dated 1746. We got a quick yes from a young woman, she didn't even have to think about it! We were happy to see such kind people today. It was crazy! We detected here for about two hours. The grass was very long in most areas and it was tough. In between the iron I got my first signal and it was a colonial escutcheon plate! Not a bad start, this is how we knew the yard wasn't messed around with! I then concentrate on a steep lip near the front door and it was loaded with iron. This was a great sign. Rob only got a rosette from this site, but it was a GORGEOUS colonial one! I then get a signal in between the iron and get a nice cufflink about an inch deep! I knew this place was going to have an period coin somewhere, but alas, none cropped up. I got another cuff button then got a foil signal close to the surface. To my surprise, a beautiful colonial ring pops out! This was a woman's and has a beautiful signet design. It also has a "Reeded edge" on the thin brass band! It's definitely a colonial ring and I'm happy to scratch that off my list! Before we left this place, I found a very worn buffalo nickel and a couple pieces of garbage. He got a beautiful colonial wedge as his last target. We left and knocked at another stone house. This was a tiny home with a large yard. It was dated 1749. We got permission, but apparently the owner says it's been hit hard by a few guys. The yard was completely TRASHED! It was the worst trash I've ever experienced. There was can tones every foot! We decided to hit behind the house in some cow pasture fields. Luckily, the grass was dead and it was easy swinging. All we were finding was trash and aluminum. We thought the site was going to be a bust, until we walked back to the car and Rob convinced me to stay as he was getting closer to the period we were looking for with a rosette face. Not long after, I get a 32-45 signal down 9" in the wet sloppy field and find myself holding a knee buckle! It's pretty rough, but I'm so glad to have gotten yet another bucket list find! Finds got really slow, with Rob only finding a couple brass horse tack buckles and a flat button for me. We decided to move onto the site of a blacksmith shop next to a stream on the same property. We found a massive iron patch, but since it was a blacksmith shop, there was not many non-ferrous targets besides some aluminum scrap and one fat, fired musket ball for me. It was getting dark and we were going to try one last place before the darkness filled the sky. We saw someone pull into an older looking home across the street from where we were at last and managed to get permission, but again, it was "cleaned out". The owner said it was 1827, but me thinks it's a little older. My first target was a pull tab, then a pull tab again, then to my surprise, I get another similar signal and an awesome broken ornate shoe buckle frame surfaces. Rob and I detected this yard for 30 minutes before it got pitch black-dark. I get only button signals, so I figure the yard was cherry picked for coins. Idiots!! They missed so much! I got 3 buttons, and a couple other odds and ends. My last target of the night was a gorgeous guilted Tudor Rose button. Now at this point I was excited! I could have had myself a British Rev. war button. We had to go home and I laid out my finds and realized I got a iron shoe buckle frame and a few other little surprises. I cleaned off the supposed rev. war button and the center piece fell off!!! Oh crap! I'm so glad I thought quickly and got some super glue and put it right where it fell off. I wasn't quite sure it was a button because there was not really a place for a shank and it wasn't metal. I thought it could've been wood? I posted the button on Facebook and people were pretty excited. Apparently it's a 1748-1785 British Navy Lieutenants BONE BACKED button. My first bone backed button, that was VERY interesting to me! Not to mention my first REVOLUTIONARY WAR BUTTON! Now I will be getting it professionally restored and hopefully they can fill the "crack" between the check board design and rose which was created when the piece broke off. I also got three bucket list items today. First colonial ring, first Rev. war button and first knee buckle! Woohoo! What an awesome weekend!!! :headbang:

By the way, I can't take many in situ shots cause my phone dies when ever it gets near the detector when it's on?

HH guys :occasion14:

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image7.jpeg image9.jpeg image1 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg image3 (1).jpeg image4 (1).jpeg image5 (2).jpeg image7 (1).jpeg image6 (1).jpeg
image1 (3).jpeg image2 (2).jpeg image3 (2).jpeg image4 (2).jpeg image5 (3).jpeg image6 (2).jpeg image7 (2).jpeg image8 (2).jpeg image5 (4).jpeg image4 (4).jpeg image7 (3).jpeg image6 (3).jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 23

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! That big ring looks AWESOME!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some awesome hunts! The carved lead really does it for me. I love finding it. You've got a great variety of good finds there and I enjoyed your enthusiasm while reading your post. Those kind of hunts are what feeds the sickness. Thanks for sharing.[emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
iNCREDIBLE. That flower button's patina is GORGEOUS. Congrats on lots of nice stuff.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on an awesome hunt! That's a great collection of old coins, silver, gold and relics!

On another note, if you don't mind some constructive criticism, please use paragraphs. My eyes wouldn't allow me to read all of that. It all started running together and I couldn't keep my place.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very impressive... super selection of relics! And I see shiny coins! Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That post was way too long to read, but those are some nice pics (and finds!). You're definitely in a zone right now Isaac - keep it up!

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks so much everyone!!!

Yes next time I will be sure to put in Paragraphs Cap. Caveman and make the post a little more bearable Bill. Whoops. :$

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on some awesome hunts! The carved lead really does it for me. I love finding it. You've got a great variety of good finds there and I enjoyed your enthusiasm while reading your post. Those kind of hunts are what feeds the sickness. Thanks for sharing.[emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

Thanks SO much for the kind words relicnut. I always try to give these finds life by writing about them with my honest emotions!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isaac,

Another great post and finds....a couple of real sweet buttons for your efforts.

Regards + HH

Bill

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thats a crazy amount of digging!
You sure are hitting spots that have the right age for the really old finds reaching back to the time in history that interests me the most.
Keep up the good work!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt Isaac :thumbsup: You sure cleaned up on some really nice finds. Those buttons are pretty awesome and I also like the W&OD button since its local. I would have expected it to be W&OD RR... any idea what the Rv thing is? Rail Valet or something?

Great job and keep it up man!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Molly Isaac!
You have to be on the school newspaper? Now that was a big post..lol
Incredible finds. As I said before on the other place, that button is a fantastic find. Good job on saving all that.
You are becoming the go to guy on here. I always look forward to your post.
Congrats.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds Isaac. Man you killed it. By the length of the post I can see you are super stoked as well you should.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As gwdigger said, that button is beautiful! My favorite find of yours there.

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an awesome day! Killer finds - looking forward to seeing more of your success in the field - keep up the great hunts!:thumbsup:

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Isaac :thumbsup: You sure cleaned up on some really nice finds. Those buttons are pretty awesome and I also like the W&OD button since its local. I would have expected it to be W&OD RR... any idea what the Rv thing is? Rail Valet or something?

Great job and keep it up man!

It's actually a "y" - probably made by Waterbury Button Co. Don't see many of these buttons

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I have ever seen the Facebook crowd get anything right! Your first thought was correct, it's a wood back! Very cool, this is the first time I've actually seen one of these and had to check the book to see if there was any reference to a wood back... and there is one. I've only ever found one wood back button, and I seen the back first and my heart stopped because I was on a little site that gave up a dozen Rev War pewters.... so I flip it over and was just civilian. :( You had way better luck! :thumbsup:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's actually a "y" - probably made by Waterbury Button Co. Don't see many of these buttons

Thanks man. Wonder why there is a line under the Y. Figured it was a Washington & Old Dominion Railroad button since it went through Isaac's county. Possibly a Rail Yard workers button or something.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great posting...Great story to go with Great finds... Congrats Issac on a fantastic hunt and I really love that tudor rose button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread