Island Find

IZMIZ

Greenie
Nov 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I think I posted this here but WAS not sure of the material on hand.
so I got a kit and basically the material is Nickel and has gold in it (less than 10k)
So I took it to a few places and one guy thinks it might be a Hilt of a dagger or something similar. (he said also maybe a table spoon or knife)
it does fit perfectly in the hand, I'm planning to take it to a Skinner sometime next week and would like to see if you guys think its something
I think it might be a Uneticean daggers style

Photo Aug 18, 3 39 42 PM.jpg Photo Aug 18, 3 39 47 PM.jpg Photo Aug 18, 3 39 51 PM.jpg Photo Aug 18, 3 39 54 PM.jpg Photo Aug 18, 3 39 57 PM.jpg

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Maybe a little background on size and continent? I know from "pigiron" there are all kinds of metallurgical elements present in the ingots. They surface mined the iron ore. They put in a handmade stone furnace surrounded by a tight rick of hardwood and lit it off. they shook down the ashes and kept the fire burning as hot as possible with bellows, they fluxed the crude crucible with silicates and then breached an earthen dam that allowed the unrefined iron to flow into ingot forms carved into the clay. That was Pigiron or charcoal founded iron.
It was malleable enough to be folded and hammer welded into larger and more elaborate forms, creating tools weapons and the necessities of every day life. As primitive metallurgy developed forges utilized forced air from bellows blown up from the bottom of the coal bed to heat their pigiron more quickly and thereby burning many of the impurities out but the trace quantities of other heavy metals remained. Copper was very predominate in early founded iron. Other metals in other trace amounts might easily be present. The presence of non oxidizing metals caused the iron forgings to last decades in the ground with minimal oxidation. Likely as not your spikes were just forged to be spikes. The goodies were just along for the ride.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread