Islands in the avenue.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Some of you have asked about finding new places to detect. Are there any streets or roads in your town that have grassy islands separating the north and south lanes? I'll show you one of my favorite areas for metal detecting. I looked at these islands over and over again before I finally gave it a shot. I ended up spending a whole autumn detecting the islands. They're about 10 blocks long on this avenue. Wound up with 113 silver pieces, including Barber, Walker and Franklin Halves. Also found an 1876 Deutch Mark and a silver dime blank. Even plucked a deep Large Cent next to a tree.

This was the first island I hunted. Swear to god, the first target I dug was a glory hole with three Standing Liberty Quarters and A Barber Quarter all together.
holme and badge 001.jpg
This next island block contained another glory hole with four or five mercs and a couple Barber dimes.
holme and badge 002.jpg
The next island has a Catholic School and Church on one side of the street and a strip mall on the other side. There's also a Sunoco station at the end of the block. I must have dug 20 or 30 of those aluminum Antique Car Tokens that they used to give out.
holme and badge 003.jpg
This last block was mostly fill dirt, but it did have a lot of clad coins. There's a couple ball fields across the street from it.
holme and badge 004.jpg
Hope this gives you some new ideas.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont forget the strip between the sidewalk and the street. Wiith curb parking years ago, there was many a coin lost when people got out of their cars.
DG

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Thanks for the tip!...

I know of some places in Minnesota that have those islands and they are
in very old wealthy neighborhoods.

For Example: The neighborhood surrounding the governors mansion.

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Wetgreenie,
You're welcome. Glad I could give somebody a new idea. Good luck.
Bob

allenb

Oct 15, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
That's EXACTLY where I was going to head this weekend! There are some right in my neighborhood too, which is about 100 years old. I'll keep you posted!
Thanks for the encouragement.
Allen

S

stefen

There are some really old schools and an old firehouse located in Reynoldsburg, just east of Columbus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions