It makes sense to search cents! 37 Wheats found.

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last box gave me 68 Wheaties. I just did another box & this time got 37 Wheaties...which isn't too shabby. The oldest date is 1936 & again got several S mint marks. Also I got my 1st Republic of Korean coin with the numbers 4294. Is that a date? A total of 759 coppers = 30.4% cu & 15.2\roll. That's a good amount. Also got 4 Canadian with oldest date 1956; 64 Shield & 12 Bi-Centennials. My copper hoard keeps growing. I hope they pass the penny melt law some day. I have 15 more boxes to go & more orders on the way. It makes sense to search cents if you have the time & patience.

Upvote 0
From 1945 until 1961 in South Korea, Gregorian calendar years were counted from the foundation of Gojoseon in 2333 BCE (regarded as year one), the date of the legendary founding of Korea by Dangun, hence these Dangi (단기/檀紀) years were 4278 to 4294. This numbering was informally used with the Korean lunar calendar before 1945 but is only occasionally used today and mostly used in North Korea.

Thanks for the info. So what year exactly would 4294 be on the coin I got? I find their ways to be confusing.

So my 4294 is really 1961. I get it.

If it's in nice condition, the Korean coin may be worth about $5 (XF). If you had the 1959, it could be up to $20 (XF).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back