It may be time to consider other social media outlets, getting bad folks

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone we are missing the point, it’s about whites name brand, and using h.h. These been around for years, let’s stop apologizing for the evil ways, that’s why we are in the situation now, because nobody fights back, terrible just terrible

Who's evil? So your point is that the programmers who program AI and algorithms that aren't perfect are "evil", because we "don't fight back" against these programmers who haven't perfected Artificial intelligence enough to discern "Whites Detectors" from "white nationalism" or the like? If the algorithm kicks you off for using "Whites Detectors", you can appeal and they'll reinstate your account.

I don't think that's really your point though.

Last edited:

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, I'm pretty sure that the discrimination laws are the point of the OP's concern. These laws, and the interpretation/ enforcement are political wildcards. These laws are ambiguous and can be used to silence political opponents. They were designed to be a lever for justice and fairness. The appearance of the corruption of these laws may be the slippery slope we feel ourselves sliding down. Justice requires a moral foundation and morality seems to be a distant relic to a large portion of the population.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Censorship is an ugly thing, period. I post metal detecting videos on YouTube once in awhile. When people comment on the video, I reply to their comment. The only problem is YouTube immediately deletes most of my replies! Why? No clue, since they ignored my inquiry as to why they are doing it. I have never made an obscene comment or anything political that I can recall. But they continue to delete almost all of my replies, which makes me look like a jerk for appearing to ignore the comments. That's what happens when a company gets too big for it's britches. They think they can control people so they'll come over to their way of thinking. Just my take on the problem...

If there's "no reason" for them deleting them, since I assume they are just pedestrian answers, you shoudn't take it personal, it's just your settings or crappy AI and algorithms at work. It isn't to "control" you since you said they are just normal replies.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, I'm pretty sure that the discrimination laws are the point of the OP's concern. These laws, and the interpretation/ enforcement are political wildcards. These laws are ambiguous and can be used to silence political opponents. They were designed to be a lever for justice and fairness. The appearance of the corruption of these laws may be the slippery slope we feel ourselves sliding down. Justice requires a moral foundation and morality seems to be a distant relic to a large portion of the population.

Yes, that is the point. "Discrimination" has vast latitude and is often inappropriately used (that and "free speech") for those who are aggrieved by a business banning them from their platform. But very few of these have anything to do with codified legal discrimination or constitutionally defined "free speech". A company banning anyone from their platform is not violating your "free speech", nor is it usually due to any discrimination. They just feel it violates their rules (or they may just not like you) and they ban you. Just like on Tnet, it's a judgement call of the moderators to ban you and yeah, we may not like it, but it's their right.

Now if Tnet were to ban me for being too old, or black, but not because of what i say or do, that could fall into a protected "discrimination" category. A company not being "fair" though, is not usually protected under discrimination laws. "Fair" as in, "I got banned for saying xxx and Johnny, who said the same thing, didn't, that's not FAIR, i'm being discriminated against!!!" Nope, Karen, sorry, it may not be "fair", but it isn't codified legal discrimination.

Last edited:

FenderBass

Greenie
Mar 9, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish540, Tesoro Vaquero, BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya Im a member of a Facebook metal detecting group with 5 thousand of members. A thread started a couple days ago about how they were starting a group on an alternative SM platform. I'm like Remember the days before social media when there were online forums like TreasureNet? Lets just all go back to a good old fashioned focused group forum and talk about our hobby and avoid all that nonsense.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep. You refer to "codified legal discrimination" in your reply. Could you explain this concept? I'm not familiar with it. I didn't really understand what you are referring to.

I'll assume what you are describing is a "trial" of sorts. Which is what most people who get deplatformed would like. That may establish a set of rules that all users can recognize and observe. A sort of standard that is uniformly enforced. This, I feel, is what the moderators here at tent do very well. I have observed many situations on other platforms where this is not the case. Especially with shadow banning. There is also evidence on large, popular platforms that they exhibit an extreme political bias, sometimes proudly. If this doesn't qualify as a form of discrimination what, in your opinion, would it be described as?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using the word codified as in, "written into law".

And no, political affiliation does not fall under protected discrimination. Federal law does not generally protect citizens based on their politics.

So in general, no, a platforms political bias is not discrimination. It may fall under the general usage of "unfair" or "discrimination" but it is not illegal discrimination as written in law.

This is a copy and paste summary:

Federal Laws Don’t Prohibit Political Discrimination
Not all forms of discrimination are illegal, however. It is illegal under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for employers to make job decisions based on race, color, national origin, religion, and sex. Other federal laws prohibit discrimination based on age, disability, and genetic information. However, political views aren’t covered by these laws and the laws of most states. This means employers are free to consider political views and affiliations in making job decisions.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, Do you really want to change that, make political leanings a protected category of discrimination? No, most don't, conservatives and liberals alike.

It's only in the news and in the "false outrage" limelight now because a prominent conservative was banned on some social media. But trust me, if he starts his own conservative platform as he indicated he wants too, he won't want to be forced to hire liberals or keep liberals on his platform if they don't fit his requirements or viewpoints or forum rules.

The conservative party's main tenet is a businesses right to conduct it how they see fit, without gov't intervention, that won't change. This is all just false political outrage.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't to "control" you since you said they are just normal replies.

Yes, it is a way to control me because their bots didn't like something I posted at some time in the past. That's why they are censoring my posts. They think I previously posted something offensive to their way of thinking, so now my replies are on permanent delete.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I am on Facebook because my kids put me on, but I can't remember the last time I logged on. Been on-line since 1983 before the internet really kicked in. Used to build & sell computers, but then you build a computer for somebody = they own you. And I didn't need the extra bucks anyway. Computers used to be a passion for me, and now it's only just a tool. Pretty good for watching movies on Youtube!!!

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't understand how 49er12 can start his post saying " it's not political but..." and then commence to deliver an undisguised rightwing talking point.

The censorship of the right on social media is for specific infringements of user policy according to the social platforms concerned.

Bans follow breeches of rules as they are interpreted by moderators.

These are private companies that have the legal right to conduct their business as they see fit.

The rules are a little fuzzy concerning where the lines truly lie, but the never-ending argument we all endure, implies they are wide enough to foster red-blooded dialog but why should they be force to tolerate hate speech, incitement, disinformation campaigns?

Beyond that, why do you think our society is better served by giving platforms to these kind of divisive and destructive things anyway?

If you really need a place to congregate, fantasize and conspire there is always Gab and Parler - but even they might draw the line somewhere between poison and terrorist activity. We'll see.

Most on the right are not hate-mongers but, sadly, there are too many that can't (or won't) stay within the lines.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is a way to control me because their bots didn't like something I posted at some time in the past. That's why they are censoring my posts. They think I previously posted something offensive to their way of thinking, so now my replies are on permanent delete.

Did you say something that may have violated their rules or offended someone and they reported it in the past? If so, the bots are just picking up on that, if not, again, then don't take it personal, bots aren't humans, just computer code.

Easy solution, delete your account.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep. The OP isn't referring to his employment. He, in the most generic term, is a customer.

In reference to your last question, no, I would prefer that political discourse be civil and an integral part of our republic. However, it appears that political discrimination is already alive and well on both political spectrums. I also feel that false political outrage has been a death sentence for many around the world. A sitting president, in my opinion, is a bit more significant than a prominent conservative. This opinion is also shared by the president of Mexico and the chancellor of Germany.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable I stated for the last time, on a detecting shows podcast, the words whites where used, referring to whites metal detector business, and the abbreviations h.h. Which mean happy hunting where thought as of hitler in Germany, very simple folks. So the topic wasn’t political nature, it was whites metal detecting company and a phrase of abbreviations h.h. Which has been used for years, simple

ben ohio

Greenie
Oct 27, 2007
i believe we read a lot about lurkers on here the so called historical people that think we should leave it in the ground for them to study when they get around to it .those people dont have our love for detecting.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable I stated for the last time, on a detecting shows podcast, the words whites where used, referring to whites metal detector business, and the abbreviations h.h. Which mean happy hunting where thought as of hitler in Germany, very simple folks. So the topic wasn’t political nature, it was whites metal detecting company and a phrase of abbreviations h.h. Which has been used for years, simple

Ok, so to clarify, you are just upset because the Artificial Intelligence bots were not able to discern between "Whites Detectors" or "H.H." and more nefarious similar words and someone got put on time out or banned?

If so, then we have some poorly written code and AI isn't quite to the level we want it to be, which i understand, but that only raises the level of outrage to "dang platform, those programmers are too busy smokin' weed then working on a better A.I.", yet your rage is rising to "evil", "scumbags", "arrogant idiots", "freedom", "crossing lines", "cancel them" which suggests to the reader your concerns go way deeper then some poorly functioning A.I. For example, one of your posts:

But I suggest to you all it’s time to leave those arrogant idiots, start over go to a more free open forum, they cross the lines, when I heard this from a podcast, one reason was because he kept using the word whites, whites was a company, enough said. Yes the scumbags are continuing there evil ways

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most states have nondiscrimination human rights laws that allow a complainant to file a legal case for lack of public accommodation for race, white. Racism works both ways.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you say something that may have violated their rules or offended someone and they reported it in the past? If so, the bots are just picking up on that, if not, again, then don't take it personal, bots aren't humans, just computer code.

I do put HH at the end of some of my comments. Maybe the bots think that stands for "Heil Hitler"! That's what happens when you're too cheap to hire live help and try to run millions of accounts with bots.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fakebook and tweeter are the worst things known to mankind other than deadly diseases and viruses. I have zero interest in Fakebook, tweeter, and instadoofusgram.
Nothing but drama in that mess. A waste of electricity and time. "Reality TV" is another scourge not worth electricity or your time. No good can ever come of letting children, teens, and easily-influenced people associate with the filth of online social media.

I feel the same, no "social media" accounts for me and no plans any time soon to get into one. I did have an imgur account for posting/linking pics but once I started to comment I could see the way that was goingm any comments even remotely offensive to the usual suspects were flagged and deleted with a stern warning, and I was banned within a week. Just 1 big echo chamber where only leftist views are allowed, reddit pretty much the same, there is no such thing as free speech or thought with these people.

I was visiting my mother and she was watching this "nanny 911" or something like that, a reality show about obnoxious, uncontrollable brats and parents hire these experts to try to get them to behave like humans - I couldn't help but think that just having cameras there makes them act out even worse, what an insane concept that is. Would be nice to see people getting back to taking piano lessons or something constructive rather than waste their lives watching and posting such unmitigated drivel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread