it only takes ONE---- and I found one total #*^@%$&

KemperSez2

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is always on a case by case basis. Pretty much all parks that are maintained by a municipality had an anti-digging rule. It is designed to prevent harvesting of plants, theft of topsoil, and the prevention of hazardous conditions. Those rules will also help minimize damages in the event of a lawsuit.
It was a hard fought battle to get NYC Department of Parks and Recreation to initiate a metal detecting permit. It has expanded from the initial 12 parks to 162 parks today. The largest park consists of over 2,300 acres, including a public beach. There are still some parks that are off limits, as well as rules about where you can dig in parks where metal detecting is permitted. It's give and take.
What we don't do is quote bible and verse, or try to use documentation against the municipality we are trying to get to work with us. Education instead of confrontation is the approach that has worked best.
That is not to say that confrontation was not necessary. Public protests and demonstrtions against NYC Parks were necessary to get a seat in front of the Parks Commisioner and his representatives. The Freedom of Information Act was used to shoot holes in the accusations that people with metal detectors were damaging the park grounds. Not one single summons had been issued to an MDer in the previous 10 years. I have learned that there is a difference between a confrontational approach and a diplomatic solution. Rules can be rewritten or made, "Not Applicable" providing one has a permit. The point is to try to get to a place where the powers that be,, are willing to talk about implementing a permit system.
In the beginning, before permits, I was ready for a good fight. Like you, I would challenge or try to punch holes in existing rules. I have gotten quite an education over the years.
Look up "The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation" They have made great strides in resolving issues involving metal detecting over the years. One particular victory was in Mason City, Iowa. Did you know that the "Powers That Be" would issue an annual Bow Hunting Permit for Deer in a public park, but they have a problem with metal detecting?? There are now metal detecting permits issued for Mason City Parks.
If I can be of assistance, just let me know.
Kevin O

There is no proof available that you did anything to help the situation in Mason City. They were planning on discussing the metal detecting issue at a meeting because someone did not keep metal detecting under the radar. You should post what would be helpful to keep parks from becoming a target of banning instead of trying to take credit where you have done nothing you can show.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is no proof available that you did anything to help the situation in Mason City. They were planning on discussing the metal detecting issue at a meeting because someone did not keep metal detecting under the radar. You should post what would be helpful to keep parks from becoming a target of banning instead of trying to take credit where you have done nothing you can show.

I would not go so far as to " 'diss" various people's attempts at un-ravelling and repealing certain laws/rules against us. So please don't 'diss solidarity that ... yes .... sometimes is necessary.

I realize you're trying to draw the conversation back to theories of how such bologna gets on pencil-pushers plates to consider IN THE FIRST PLACE. That's a valid topic of conversation . But HOWEVER it got there (md'rs swatting hornet's nests, etc...) is a different topic .

If some place truly did implement it , and if it was truly enforced (not just an isolated scram), then there *is* merit to fighting it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread