Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been in a bit of a slump despite going out hunting at every opportunity. Yeah, I'm still digging lots of clad but I haven't found anything really cool or really old in a few weeks.

I've also been learning my new detector, a BH 202 I've had for exactly two weeks which I haven't completely mastered but I'm really beginning to get the little nuances and what not. Each day it gets better. It's just very different than my Tracker IV but I definitely like it. I have to admit it was a bit aggravating at first until I began to better understand what it was telling me.

So I've been digging LOTS of trash signals hoping to hit on some gold for the last few weeks. Today I had to make an appearance at a social function and meet up with my son but I was actually able to slip away and do a quick one hour hunt (pretty sick huh??). I found a whopping 26 cents, a key and tons of trash.

I went back and when the function was over I figured I still had about 90 minutes of daylight left so I decided to go hit a middle school I've hunted a few times but never found anything noteworthy.

I was getting tons of trash signals and to be honest, I was getting a wee bit aggravated. I was thinking how I haven't hit on anything good in a few weeks. I kept digging the trash though.

I hit a really trashy area and was getting multiple, noisy mixed signals in one small area so I decided to dig them all and weed out the trash in the hopes that something good was hiding amongst the pop tops and pull tabs.

Well my instincts were right this time. The LAST signal I dug right before dark with a beautiful full super moon in the sky turned out to be an 1881 Indian head penny. I haven't cleaned it up yet and it has a little green goin' on but I like it. It made my day.

Indian Head 1881 001.JPG Indian Head 1881 002.JPG

My aggravation immediately vanished. It's amazing how that works. The timing could not have been better either because within minutes it was too dark to hunt. I'm definitely getting up early tomorrow and hitting that spot again. If there's one IH then there could be more good stuff. I hope so. I REALLY love this hobby.

I just wish I could figure out a way to hunt at night.

Here's some pics of my first 1886 IH cent I found back on July 1, 2014:

First Indian Head 1886 001.JPG First Indian Head 1886 002.JPG

I thought the second one was an 1896 for a few weeks until I gave it a long olive oil soak and was better able to read the date.

Today I doubled my Indian head tally. I'll have to find 4 to do that again.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been in a bit of a slump despite going out hunting at every opportunity. Yeah, I'm still digging lots of clad but I haven't found anything really cool or really old in a few weeks.

I've also been learning my new detector, a BH 202 which I haven't completely mastered but I'm really beginning to get the little nuances and what not. Each day it gets better. It's just very different than my Tracker IV but I definitely like it. I have to admit it was a bit aggravating at first until I began to understand what it was telling me.

So I've been digging LOTS of trash signals hoping to hit on some gold for the last few weeks. Today I had to make an appearance at a social function and meet up with my son but I was actually able to slip away and do a quick one hour hunt (pretty sick huh??). I found a whopping 26 cents, a key and tons of trash.

I went back and when the function was over I figured I still had about 90 minutes of daylight left so I decided to go hit a middle school I've hunted a few times but never found anything noteworthy.

I was getting tons of trash signals and to be honest, I was getting a wee bit aggravated. I was thinking how I haven't hit on anything good in a few weeks. I kept digging the trash though.

I hit a really trashy area and was getting multiple, noisy mixed signals in one small area so I decided to dig them all and weed out the trash in the hopes that something good was hiding amongst the pop tops and pull tabs.

Well my instincts were right this time. The LAST signal I dug right before dark with a beautiful almost full moon in the sky turned out to be an 1881 Indian head penny. I haven't cleaned it up yet and it's not in the greatest shape but I like it.

View attachment 1035818 View attachment 1035819

My aggravation immediately vanished. It's amazing how that works. The timing could not have been better either because within minutes it was too dark to hunt. I'm definitely getting up early tomorrow and hitting that spot again. If there's one IH then there should be more good stuff right?? I hope so. I really love this hobby.

I just wish I could figure out a way to hunt at night.

Good work! Keep it up.:icon_thumright:

PBS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread