Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this site in mind to hunt for quite a while. I finally got up enough courage to ask permission. It was so hot here that I waited till 4:30 in the afternoon yesterday to go. There is another house behind this one that I went up to to ask. They rent that place and she pointed me in the right direction of who to ask. Well I get over to the owner's place and take a deep breath and put on my best smile and got out of the car. Mr. Thomas was sitting in the shade reading his newspaper, looked up and gave me a big 'howdy do'! I say... "Would you mind if I metal detect over at the old house?" And pointed toward the spot. "Sure! Go right ahead! Anytime you want to is fine with me." Wow! That was easy! Took me almost a year to decide to stop and ask! :P I struck up conversation as to some of the good stuff I had found and he promptly says "Yeah....I already know all about you." "You do?" ??? "Yeah....I done heard that you found some good stuff down at the old log house." Now the log house is about 10 miles from his house so I was a bit shocked! :D And then he tells me that he had hunted the log house too but didn't find anything. (I think his interest in detecting was short and maybe he didn't give it the time that he needed to.) Anyhow....I go on my way and find a couple of regular pennies and then two little round objects with the number 200 and a hole in them. Neat! I thought at first they were cow tags....but they were smaller and have stars around the edge? Put 'em in my pocket and keep diggin lots and lots of tin and iron. After about an hour he pulls up and says "Hey gal! You see that snake coming?" SNAKE! NO! While he's showing me the snake I take out the two objects that I had found and show them to him....."Do you know what these are?" I ask. The look on his face was priceless! "These were my Dad's! They are coal mine tags and his number was 200." "I haven't seen any of these since I was a kid! I remember him telling me about these long years ago. Do you mind if I keep them?" And ya'll know what I said! :D Made my day to see the smile on his face! Stayed till almost dark and found a couple other things. Gotta go back there soon! :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

Nana ;)

Attachments

• Thomashouse.JPG
    Thomashouse.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 554
  • 0526finds.JPG
    0526finds.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 564
  • coaltags.JPG
    coaltags.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome hunt Nana! Looks like an Ox shoe and I think those are Donkey shoes? Will those fields be plowed later in the fall? Might be great to hit the fields as well. HH, Mike

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
NANA, Great Post, Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 085.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 085.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 527
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 085.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 085.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 538

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Really excellent story Nana....Love that you found some keepsakes for him. What is that round buckle made out of? Coins?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats awesome nana! you are becoming a local (and thanks to t-net) an international celebrity! pretty soon.........the autographs, the adoring fans, the criticle acclaim ::)...............or maybe not ;) great finds!

X

xto

Wow what a cool find...and then to find on owner.... makes me warm and fuzzy.

Nice style and great work!

xto

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana,

good story, nice finds.

Next time I saw him, I would sure ask if he would
have any suggestions for other places to hunt.

have a good un.............

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
WTG on getting the courage to ask! It sure will make it easier next time. I'm so glad you found the good kharma items and were able to return them. I'm proud of you!

vicki

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are real nice! I know how it is to feel it is a small world....everytime i got to Wal-mart!

hh
-GC

scott-devon

Greenie
Jan 25, 2005
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is cool, a great story and you made someone very happy. Congrats.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Reading your posts is like sitting under a shade tree drinkin ice tea on a really HOT day.

Another good one, Nana.

I had a simular thing happen once myself but it was a large silver coin (Mark) her late husband had brought back after WWII. Only thing was she didn't ask...she just took everything I found ...LOL ;D ...And that was okay.

Once in awhile you'll ask and the guy will say "sure" with a big smile on his face. But at the end of the hunt he'll just take everything. He thinks you're hunting for him.

Sounds like you have a site with great future potential there.

HH

Badger

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job as usual, nana. It looks like your reputation preceded you, since he already had "the scoop" on Nana. 8)

I'm curious about the other objects you found...like that circle buckle, and the other discs...can you give us a close up?

Nice story. :)

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Finds Nana .. and very nice of you to make that man happy

USTiger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread