Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this site in mind to hunt for quite a while. I finally got up enough courage to ask permission. It was so hot here that I waited till 4:30 in the afternoon yesterday to go. There is another house behind this one that I went up to to ask. They rent that place and she pointed me in the right direction of who to ask. Well I get over to the owner's place and take a deep breath and put on my best smile and got out of the car. Mr. Thomas was sitting in the shade reading his newspaper, looked up and gave me a big 'howdy do'! I say... "Would you mind if I metal detect over at the old house?" And pointed toward the spot. "Sure! Go right ahead! Anytime you want to is fine with me." Wow! That was easy! Took me almost a year to decide to stop and ask! :P I struck up conversation as to some of the good stuff I had found and he promptly says "Yeah....I already know all about you." "You do?" ??? "Yeah....I done heard that you found some good stuff down at the old log house." Now the log house is about 10 miles from his house so I was a bit shocked! :D And then he tells me that he had hunted the log house too but didn't find anything. (I think his interest in detecting was short and maybe he didn't give it the time that he needed to.) Anyhow....I go on my way and find a couple of regular pennies and then two little round objects with the number 200 and a hole in them. Neat! I thought at first they were cow tags....but they were smaller and have stars around the edge? Put 'em in my pocket and keep diggin lots and lots of tin and iron. After about an hour he pulls up and says "Hey gal! You see that snake coming?" SNAKE! NO! While he's showing me the snake I take out the two objects that I had found and show them to him....."Do you know what these are?" I ask. The look on his face was priceless! "These were my Dad's! They are coal mine tags and his number was 200." "I haven't seen any of these since I was a kid! I remember him telling me about these long years ago. Do you mind if I keep them?" And ya'll know what I said! :D Made my day to see the smile on his face! Stayed till almost dark and found a couple other things. Gotta go back there soon! :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

Nana ;)

Attachments

• Thomashouse.JPG
    Thomashouse.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 554
  • 0526finds.JPG
    0526finds.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 564
  • coaltags.JPG
    coaltags.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Nina, All one has to do is ask! They can't do more then say no. Of course It makes a lot of difference how you approach the home owner. But you did fine plus you found him in the shade reading a paper, that helps.
I didn't see you spent a little time with him talking treasure, Like maybe you ought to stop back and see him again and as him since he had lived in the area for a long time did he ever hear of a couple of jugs or a cache being buried in the area. His answer might make your day? And if he has an interest in M/D and has one maybe you both can go on a hunt together. He may know someone that will let you check out there property. He may have had a past family member who buried a ton of money? Ask, Ask.He has gone a different way through the you. JUST TRYING TO BE HELPFULL. GOOD LUCK.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
maureen, SORRY! That should be.= (He went a different way through life then you.) As we all find our own path and therefore are like living books having stories to tell.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh Ya'll! Thanks for the replies! Sorry it took so long to get back to ya!

ML....them's regular pennies! :D

Mike...most likely the field will not be plowed in the near future..don't think it's been plowed for quite some time either. :-\

Red....international celeb! :D Thank you so much for your confidence....but I think not! :D Maybe if I find something REALLY GOOD.... :D

GC....always brush your hair before you go to Walmart....never know who you'll run into there! :D

Badger....THANK YOU! ...I do hope if I were to find any old coins...he will have mercy and let me keep one or two! ;D

Monk...He did tell me that there was a house just to the right of the existing one that his father grew up in...and he did make mention that there wasn't as much fill dirt there...like at this old house... :-\ I was getting some really deep signals but it was so dang hot and the ground there is very hard...so I didn't bother with them...yet! ;D And I do hope to talk with him again! ;)

Gypsy and Haupin...Here's a close up of the little round thingy...maybe a halter buckle? I don't know..but I thought it was neat!

Oh and by the way...his father passed away a couple of years ago and he was 95! Could you imagine getting to live that long!

Thanks so much ya'll!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Nana ;)

Attachments

• buckle0526.JPG
    buckle0526.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 214

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread