What's new

It this an Old Silver Ring??

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Picked this up in a place where the oldest things so far were only from the 1930s - 1950s

It looks like a band ring, and resembles silver but I'm not sure what to make of it:
1) using silver polish, the polish turned dark black when cleaning, which can indicate precious metal
2) I tried using the silver test kit but I didn't see any reaction from the formula (will try again)
3) It looks like it was cast from two pieces... you can see a seam on the outside and inside
4) what it looks like now is the brighest it will go. It was underwater though for however many years so could that be partly why?
5) there is a design on both sides, which is very worn
6) there are no stamps or marking on the inside
Is this a ring? something else?

Thanks for your input!
 

Attachments

  • possible old silver ring 4.webp
    possible old silver ring 4.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 245
  • possible old silver ring.webp
    possible old silver ring.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 241
  • possible old silver ring (2).webp
    possible old silver ring (2).webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 248
  • possible old silver ring (1).webp
    possible old silver ring (1).webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 240
If it is silver, you should be able to polish it with silver polish. Silver items are one of the few things that should be cleaned and polished. So says Antiques Road Show.

Being underwater will turn many metals black so that is not a surprise.

I honestly don't think it is silver. It looks decorative but not for a finger. The fact that the casting ridge is still there pretty much proves that. Maybe a ring off a knife as mentioned or some part of a gas light.

If I had to guess a metal. I'd say German Silver. And Victorian for a time period.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom