It was brutal, but it was worth it! ID alert! I need some help on this one guys

cumberlandgray

Nov 24, 2009
Hey guys! I don't post alot here, but the friend with whom I was digging today suggested I post this:
We were digging a Confederate camp that seems to be early war. My buddy managed a really sweet Va button. A couple hours later I got a sweet +74 on the MXT. Thinking it was a penny (the sound made it seem like it was about 2" down), I went to digging. There were no house sites in the area, and this was an isolated signal in the middle of some really old hardwoods. I'd dug a couple nails close by also. I got down to 4" and realized this was not the 2" Penny I thought it was gonna be. I kept on going, and at about 6" I turned over this plate. It seems to be a stamp, since everything is spelled backwards. I believe it is made of pewter...not positive, but I think so.
It measures 56mm X 45mm and is 4mm thick (about 2 1/8" X 1 3/4").
On the face is "The Constitution", and near the top it states "Buchanan" and "Breckenridge". Buchanan was our 15th President, and Breckenridge was his Vice Pres.
Any help with ID on this object will be greatly appreciated! So far no one knows what it is, or has ever seen one before!
Thanks for looking!
Tony "cumberlandgray" Hochstetler

Attachments

• 6-10-10 Davids place 001.jpg
    6-10-10 Davids place 001.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,989
  • 6-10-10 Davids place 002.jpg
    6-10-10 Davids place 002.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,984

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, only one reply to that seriously cool item? Did you ever find anything out about it? Very cool!

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very unique find and a once in a lifetime one at that! Congrats!
Mike

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find for sure!!...............HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread