It was in the 2nd year of the CONFEDERATE WAR...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
While most of the names mentioned in the Beale Papers had long since passed away by the time of the 1885 publication, one was alive and well, and a highly known successful businessman in Lynchberg.
"His private residence(Morriss),the house now owned and occupied by Max Guggenheimer,Esq, at the head of Main Street..."-THE BEALE PAPERS.
Max Guggenheimer, a Jewish businessman, servered in the CSA 11th Virginia Army, had a dry goods store on 6th and Main in Lynchberg, invested in two shoe companies, and founded the Lynchberg Cotton Mill.
Guggenheimer, and other Jewish businessmen, held meetings at Lynchberg's Odd Fellows Hall, and he passed away in 1912.
The inclusion of his name in the Beale tale WAS purposeful by the "unknown author".
At age 19, Max Guggenheimer, joined the Lynchburg Home Guard, was discharged from the CSA 11th Virginia Army for being disabled (wounded?) in 1862, went to Chattanooga, and returned to Lynchburg in 1863-" the 2nd year of the Confederate War".

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
At age 19, Max Guggenheimer, joined the Lynchburg Home Guard, was discharged from the CSA 11th Virginia Army for being disabled (wounded?) in 1862, went to Chattanooga, and returned to Lynchburg in 1863-" the 2nd year of the Confederate War".

Yes, Rebel Max was WIA; in the Lynchburg, Va. HOME GUARD during the rest of the CONFEDERATE WAR. Been inside the TEMPLE, here in Lynchburg, Va.; Rebel Max's picture is on the wall, of a LONG hallway...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Known for his sense of humor, it provides a wink and nod connection to the Robert Morriss in the Beale story.

:icon_thumleft: That IS CORRECT! Max was on "The Committee/Inner Circle of "friends"; Robert MORRISS was based on the life of Mayor Robert MORRIS, (1813); take it from there... :coffee2: Coffee...? BTW, RM may have been a QUAKER (Society of FRIENDS), who objected to WAR. Lynchburg, Va. was FOUNDED by Quakers (Lynch)... AND! Robert MORRIS, Mayor of Lynchburg, Va. (1813), MAY have been a Quaker... dunno.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Robert Morris' father and grandfather were Episcopal Worshippers. Don't know about Robert Morris?

MAYBE, he was; MANY of ppl connected to Beale PAPERS "story" DID go to the Episcopalian Church in Lynchburg, Va.; Hazlewood, the Wards, MANY others... gotta go back to my R & I.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
BACK to the "CONFEDERATE WAR" theory... I am reviewing info, looking for a KEY to "prove" the Beale PAPERS pamphlet was a COVER STORY indicating the Virginia portion of the Confederate Treasury, and I think I am "getting CLOSE". ALL Rebel Generals had a CSA CIPHER DISK in their "Unit" to track Yank movements... info by Dispatch (letters) saying "Have a Nice Day" or something like that. MAYBE letters from TJB were encoded, and we need to use a CSA Cipher Disk to DECODE what the "BP" is REALLY "All about". ONLY about FOUR CSA Cipher Disks still exist, 2 in museums, & 2 in "private collections"... DANG! Cipher Disks was used in the Mexican War, also... "google" CSA Cipher Disk.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
CONFEDERATE WAR Editor Charlie W. Button DID IT! FOR GOOD OR BAD, CIVIL WAR EDITOR WAS MAN OF HIS TIMES...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
UP-DATE: Charlie DIDN'T DO IT! CRITICAL "line" was missing from my copy of original article, which I CAN NOT find due to 404 error. Will go buy a copy of this N/A newspaper... (4/18/15). CRITICAL "line": "sold the Daily Virginian to one of his sub-editors, who had earlier"... Apology to ALL! Carry On with yer own R & I! HH! Good Luck to ALL!
Got newspaper; it was SUNDAY, 4/19/15... NICE!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
UP-DATE: Charlie DIDN'T DO IT! CRITICAL "line" was missing from my copy of original article, which I CAN NOT find due to 404 error. Will go buy a copy of this N/A newspaper... (4/18/15). CRITICAL "line": "sold the Daily Virginian to one of his sub-editors, who had earlier"... Apology to ALL! Carry On with yer own R & I! HH! Good Luck to ALL!
Got newspaper; it was SUNDAY, 4/19/15... NICE!
Gonna quote the WHOLE statement, putting in Caps, the missing critical piece (one sentence); "He ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which HE SOLD THE DAILY VIRGINIAN TO ONE OF HIS SUB-EDITORS WHO had earlier written a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale Treasure legend about a hoard of gold buried in Bedford (County, Va.). Then, Button bought the paper back." ( Section B: page 3, Lifestyle Section; News & Advance, Sunday, 4/19/15. Looking into his Sub-Editors... doing R & I.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In many cases, when one secures a copyright as agent, it is considered a work for hire, unless the author's name is mentioned.
As a music publisher, I have secured the copyright for the composers and authors, with their names listed as the owner, and me listed as the administer of their intellectual product.
Ward's application for copyright appears as a work for hire, or sole ownership as author.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
His sub-editor was William Sherman.

One thing you should remember though Button still owned the newspaper when the ads were placed in it on April 10 and April 15, 1885. Sherman did not buy the paper until October or November. Also Button still owned the print shop where the Job Print Pamphlet was printed in 1885 and possibly 1883. The copies that burned in 1883 did they have James B. Ward's name as agent for the author or did they have the author's name William Sherman or Button? Maybe someone needs to find an 1883 copy of the Beale Treasure Story in the Job Print Pamphlet since the Job Printing Company printed the pamphlet?

The author's name could very well have been on the 1883 copies?
HA! Beale PAPERS Pamphlet didn't come out until 1885... NOT 1883.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
His sub-editor was William Sherman.

One thing you should remember though Button still owned the newspaper when the ads were placed in it on April 10 and April 15, 1885. Sherman did not buy the paper until October or November. Also Button still owned the print shop where the Job Print Pamphlet was printed in 1885 and possibly 1883. The copies that burned in 1883 did they have James B. Ward's name as agent for the author or did they have the author's name William Sherman or Button? Maybe someone needs to find an 1883 copy of the Beale Treasure Story in the Job Print Pamphlet since the Job Printing Company printed the pamphlet?

The author's name could very well have been on the 1883 copies?
You "saying" that William Sherman wrote it, then...? ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread