1.2 MB · Views: 49

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can't quite put a finger on it but thinking some electrical component.

Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a device to put in coil springs to raise a vehicle's height. You slip the thing in between the coils and twist it with a ratchet handle. That's what the square hole is...

Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coil spring spacer

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those were helical and not made of brass.

Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted the pic I snagged was not "the" item..sorry! Those turned out being later model ones made by Mr Gasket and I think they were hard rubber. I have handled some like the OP's pix. They are rectangular. Made of lead compound similar to wheel weight lead.
If the item is indeed brass, it's probably not what I think it is. I know it's stated as brass. Looks like lead in the pix...jmho! I'd like to see if a 3/8" drive ratchet handle fit the hole and maybe a place cleaned enough to see the color of the metal. No it's not helical. They placed the narrow side between the coils and twisted 90 degrees. It was a poor idea from the beginning. Hit a bump and the suspension went to max and they came out all the time. Metal detectorists are finding them now.

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lamp post and coil spring guys. You did notice that this is only slightly larger than a quarter dollar? I like the finial idea best. and definitely not electrical in any way I have ever seen.

Upvote 0

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted the pic I snagged was not "the" item..sorry! Those turned out being later model ones made by Mr Gasket and I think they were hard rubber. I have handled some like the OP's pix. They are rectangular. Made of lead compound similar to wheel weight lead.
If the item is indeed brass, it's probably not what I think it is. I know it's stated as brass. Looks like lead in the pix...jmho! I'd like to see if a 3/8" drive ratchet handle fit the hole and maybe a place cleaned enough to see the color of the metal. No it's not helical. They placed the narrow side between the coils and twisted 90 degrees. It was a poor idea from the beginning. Hit a bump and the suspension went to max and they came out all the time. Metal detectorists are finding them now.

The coil spring boosters I've seen have a thread like groove, so when you twist they sink into the coil. this doesn't have that, the groove seems uniform all the way around.

I could see this mounted on the top of a lamp shade... Makes the most sense.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Barrydang

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know what it’s made of now I scratched it on the inside of it to see it looked yellow but I scratched alil more and it’s clearly not. It is a soft metal but it doesn’t have the white patina most lead I found in the ground has.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My guess would be a white metal finial from an electric outdoor light fixture. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread