Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great weekend at one of my hard hunted sites. Since I started hunting this place in 2012, it had never had a deep plowing. The last time I was there when it was in corn stubble, I only found one little cufflink. Well, apparently he plowed deep this time, because it was almost as good as the first time went in there. I knew there was still some deep stuff hiding in there, but I was amazed how much the plow brought up. Saturday I dug 26 buttons, two large coppers (Draped Bust and an unidentified one) and TWO half reals — 1777 and 1783. The last time I dug two Spanish silvers in one day was April 2014. I went back on Sunday and was able to recover 7 more buttons, a plain cufflink, 2 large coppers (unidentified as of yet), and a piece of a counterfeit 2 reale. In addition to all that, I also got 15 dropped and fired musket balls.

Here are my finds from Saturday. It's been quite a while since I had a day like this.
9-23-17 All .jpg
I had a feeling one of these might rear it's ugly head, BUT NOT TWO!!
Reals.jpg
Here are my finds from Sunday. The quantity was not on the level with Saturday, but still a good day.
9-24-17.jpg
Here is everything cleaned up
All Clean.JPG
I dug a piece of a counterfeit 2 reale
Fake Spanish1.JPGFake Spanish2 .JPG
An finally some dirt shots. Draped Bust LC
Copper Dirt.jpg
First Half Real
Half Real Dirt1.jpg
Second Half Real
Half Real Dirt2.jpg
Unidentified Copper
Copper Dirt2.jpg
Finally, this tombac button was just laying there like this
Tombac Dirt.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 48
Holy crap...What a hunt! What tremendous finds! I can't begin to imagine finding two reals. I'm drooling with envy!

WOW. What a nice variety of finds and what a spot. I hear you on the plowing, I have a methodist campmeeting grounds that I have been hitting on and off for the last 8 yrs. that has never been turned. Have taken a lot of nice old coins out of there, but I think there are more if it was plowed up. Congrats.

Hard to keep up on my congratulations on the today's finds forum....I keep reading of so many great finds and never can get around to all of them for a well deserved congrats. So better late than never, your post and finds are over the top. Really awesome and right there with the best of them. A red button tap from me.:thumbsup:

What a great hunt. I love the silvers and all those buttons! How did you know that one piece was counterfeit?

What a great hunt. I love the silvers and all those buttons! How did you know that one piece was counterfeit?
Well it was really pretty easy to tell. The coin had the lettering of a Spanish silver coin, and even the Mexico City mintmark. But it wasn't silver. Dead giveaway :)

Congrats on that 2 Spanish silver day. :occasion14: I can't remember how many times I pulled 2 in one day... That's right, NEVER. :BangHead: I am at 1 Spanish silver for about 4 seasons of swinging the coil.
All it takes is one good site to make your career total jump :thumbsup:

Congrats. Nobody dropped those at my sites and the farmers dont plow and Ive yet to get a new early permission
But you are on the eastern shore of Maryland, correct? I'm sure they are there.

Congrats! Two Spanish Silver in one day is great. I wish i could get one more to have as many Spanish Silver in my detecting career as you dig in one hunt... :laughing7:
Thanks, I dig Spanish silver and you dig Roman silver :laughing7:

Killer relic and coin hunt, congratulations! :notworthy:

Geez the two coppers and a few buttons would be a great day for me, haven't got any idea what it would feel like digging either one of those great looking silvers. Congrats!
I guess a lot of money changed hands at this old tavern site.

Wow what a site, congrats on the 2fer Spanish silver, and all the rest of the goodies :icon_thumright:
Thanks, it really has been a special site.

hh,
Cal

Holy crap...What a hunt! What tremendous finds! I can't begin to imagine finding two reals. I'm drooling with envy!
Thanks, it is quite a thrill to dig multiple Spanish silvers in the same hunt. I've been fortunate to have done it several times.

WOW. What a nice variety of finds and what a spot. I hear you on the plowing, I have a methodist campmeeting grounds that I have been hitting on and off for the last 8 yrs. that has never been turned. Have taken a lot of nice old coins out of there, but I think there are more if it was plowed up. Congrats.
If the field was plowed deep in the past you can bet there is stuff down a foot or more. Hopefully, he will plow soon.

Hard to keep up on my congratulations on the today's finds forum....I keep reading of so many great finds and never can get around to all of them for a well deserved congrats. So better late than never, your post and finds are over the top. Really awesome and right there with the best of them. A red button tap from me.:thumbsup:
Thank you sir. I have had my share of days like this over the years, but they are fewer and further between as the years go on.

All it takes is one good site to make your career total jump :thumbsup:

But you are on the eastern shore of Maryland, correct? I'm sure they are there.

Thanks, I dig Spanish silver and you dig Roman silver :laughing7:

There are at least a dozen colonial era farmhouses within 5 miles of my house. I just got permission for some fields around three of them. We shall see:)

Great finds on the silver! Congrats.......Hogge

Not counting Chinese coins, my oldest coin is an 1854 seated half dime. If I dug anything from the 1700s, I may have a heart attack! Congratz!

Congratulations. That's one heck of a variety of great treasures there. Must have been a busy area.

"had a feeling one of these might rear it's ugly head, BUT NOT TWO!!"

:laughing9: never thought that about silver .

Not counting Chinese coins, my oldest coin is an 1854 seated half dime. If I dug anything from the 1700s, I may have a heart attack! Congratz!
Thanks, I hope you get the opportunity to test your heart by digging a 1700s coin :tongue3:

Congratulations. That's one heck of a variety of great treasures there. Must have been a busy area.
Thanks. It was a busy tavern, based on the finds and the large area they were dispersed over. But surprisingly, there is very little to be found about this place in the historical records.

LOL Dawg! What I meant was the ugly head of King Carolus III :laughing7:

LOL. What I was referring to was the ugly head of King Carolus III :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back