What's new

Its broken, but pipe, or.....

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
3,806
Reaction score
35
Golden Thread
0
Location
WESTERN MASS
It's broken, but pipe, or.....

I love the color layers. I'm no sure if it's a broken pipe or maybe for making shafts for the points? I need a new carmera, the color just doesn't stand out :-\. What are your thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • pipe1.webp
    pipe1.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 332
  • pie2.webp
    pie2.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 327
  • pipe3.webp
    pipe3.webp
    5 KB · Views: 329
  • pipe4.webp
    pipe4.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0
Re: It's broken, but pipe, or.....

Hello,
It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks to me like it could be part of a bannerstone. Some people think they were used on Atl-atls (Weight for a throwing stick) Even damaged ones are collectable according to: Indian Artifacts, The best of the midwest by Lar Hothem.
 
Re: It's broken, but pipe, or.....

You've got something!~ I'd keep checking for the rest of it... whatever it my be.


xstevenx
 
Re: It's broken, but pipe, or.....

Morning,

I agree, that appears to be part of a bannerstone rather than a pipe. Definitely an artifact of some type though.

Atlantis
 
Re: It's broken, but pipe, or.....

Thanks guys, I think you nailed it. I looked in my book and sure enough, I agree. I know the pictures aren't great, but any idea of type of stone used? It looks layered, really pretty when it's wet. Thanks for the look!
 
Re: It's broken, but pipe, or.....

Looks like everyone already covered it, but Johnny's right keep an eye out for the rest!
badandy
 
Re: It's broken, but pipe, or.....

I'll keep them BOTH wide open. I would really like to find the rest. I never thought I'd find something like that!
 
Re: It's broken, but pipe, or.....

CG very interesting find :) Don't you just love it when you find those ancient Artifacts :)
 
Re: It's broken, but pipe, or.....

CarolinaDigs said:
CG very interesting find :) Don't you just love it when you find those ancient Artifacts :)

Yeah I do CD. I keep thinking of the Bannerstone being attached and thrown at.........? I assume it slides down the shaft when thrown giving a stronger impact? Or is it fixed solid near the point? I like it!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom