What's new

Its not always OUR fault.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
2,078
Golden Thread
0
Location
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not always OUR fault.

I detected at the Convent a few days ago, found a large cent, my oldest coin on that site. Unfortunately the obverse is smooth with no date. Anyway, I went back the next day and all my holes were open. It took a second but I remembered filling all my holes. I suspected a skunk. I filled the holes and started detecting, finding silver #8 for the year, a '48 rosie. I went back today to check my holes again. Sure enough, 5 or 6 holes had the plug out and dirt dug up. I filled the holes again and went looking for a BIG hole. Found it near the shed and set two cages. I'll have that skunk tomorrow, I hope. (Note: I'm licensed to remove nuiance wildlife, and this is a customer of mine so all is legal.)
So, sometimes I bet folks get kicked out for not filling holes, when in fact it's a skunk or raccoon that opens it back up looking for grubs.
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

I have seen this twice this season . At 2 sites, returned several days later to see dirt piles
turned over . If i did not dig these and fill them myself i would be calling someone
a piece of . Well you know . Its easy eats for the critters.
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

This isn't a joking matter for honorable detectorists . Those darn critters will follow behind you and open your well restored holes .
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

Here is the one that was doing that in my back yard about a month ago...
 

Attachments

  • racoon 002 (Medium).webp
    racoon 002 (Medium).webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 329
  • racoon 002 (Medium).webp
    racoon 002 (Medium).webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 325
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

plehbah said:
Metal detecting skunks....... this is just too much.

I already thought there was too much competition.

And I always re-scan my holes, I doubt he found much...besides cut up worms and grubs.
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

We have a Jack Russell that does the same thing!! Guess he sees us digging and wants to help out.
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

My dog Digsie will dig where I tell her to dig but darn if she will fill in the holes. I was teasing a friend of mine one day and she dug up a penny! Monty
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

Digging deeper 90 degree plugs will help this problem a great deal as well as helping to keep the grass alive.
 

Attachments

  • plug angles sm.webp
    plug angles sm.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 235
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

Nick i want you on my pictionary team :hello2:
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

No catch yet.

Nick, I dug most of my holes like that today, before seeing your post. I'll see if it worked in the morning.
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

I always!! cut my plugs like that. When I am done I even have a hard time finding them.
I use a nice long sharp hunting knife. This makes the plugs harder for the animals to reopen,and looks good too.
gl all hh dan
 
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

I caught the trouble making skunk and a curious red squirrel. The squirrel was held for questioning and released. The skunk was severely scolded and banned from the property forever.
 

Attachments

  • Red squirrel in cage 2.webp
    Red squirrel in cage 2.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Convent skunk.webp
    Convent skunk.webp
    178.5 KB · Views: 179
Re: It's not always OUR fault.

You're right, truckinbutch, it's not a joking matter. My goal is to teach armadillos to work with detectorists, because nothing can beat them for speed of digging. Think of it. You get a hit, you say "Sic 'em, Vato! Adelante!!" and in no time you have a hole 3 feet deep. (You only wanted 6 inches, but he was doin so good and all, you didn't stop him in time.) Animals are opportunistic, much like humans. They will go where the digging is easier. If you have permission to work an area you should explain this to the owner beforehand because, yeah, they would think we went in and just potholed their field and left it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom