What's new

Its So Common

tabdog

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
548
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
It's So Common



But things that were so common 150 years ago are
artifacts today.

I found this lead object the other day at an old site.

5-18-7.jpg


5-18-6.jpg


Strange because earlier this year I found a larger one,

7-25-2-2.jpg


7-25-5-1.jpg


7-25-3-1.jpg


Also, earlier this year another MDer found this one. It
has a tiny hole in it along with the large hole,

IMG_6502.jpg


IMG_6503.jpg


IMG_6504.jpg


What are those things???


Thanks fer yur help,

Tabdog
 
Re: It's So Common

first one is a shotgun slug
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

The one below the picture with the penny is a modern shotgun shell. I'm guessing that's the same one that's to the left of the penny. the one to the right of the penny is a civil war sharps carbine bullet. The other I'm not sure about.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

The Sharps is for size only.

I have dug thousands and thousands of bullets.

These may be bullets, but they are not fired bullets
or slugs.

These objects are all lead and were pounded on
to make holes in them.

Why?

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

The one below the penny is a modern shotgun slug. You can see the vertical lines on the sides. I don't know if it was smashed or fired but it is definitely a shotgun slug. the other one with the hole I don't know.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

vayank54 said:
The one below the penny is a modern shotgun slug. You can see the vertical lines on the sides. I don't know if it was smashed or fired but it is definitely a shotgun slug. the other one with the hole I don't know.
:icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

Looks like a bullet that hit something solid and the back end tried to pass the front end. I have seen the same effect when hitting steel with a .22 long rifle. Odd, but it happens. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

I don't know what they are, but I find alot just like them at an old calvary camp I hunt at.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

Gunny71 said:
I don't know what they are, but I find alot just like them at an old calvary camp I hunt at.

These slugs go back to the CW
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

Looks like the lead seal for a galvanized nail used for roofing, especially for nailing on corrugated tin sheets for a roof. Sometimes the lead would come off by itself, or be removed intentionally. The nails were commonly used in Quonset hut construction as well. The central hole would have been round originally. Atypical shape indicates it has been used in roofing at least 60 years old.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's So Common

Tuberale said:
Looks like the lead seal for a galvanized nail used for roofing, especially for nailing on corrugated tin sheets for a roof. Sometimes the lead would come off by itself, or be removed intentionally. The nails were commonly used in Quonset hut construction as well. The central hole would have been round originally. Atypical shape indicates it has been used in roofing at least 60 years old.

the second one, maybe. The first one as pointed out is a slug due to the lines on the edges. I found a pile of them from an old range.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom