🥇 BANNER Its where you end up sometimes

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It's where you end up sometimes

Sometimes where a hunt begins is not always where it ends. I'll attempt to make this a brief story.
Me and Iron Patch got to kick off our fall hunting today to celebrate his b-day today (ps he's old)lol
We made plans to hunt other areas of a site we discovered years before, it didn't pan out the way we wanted so we hit the road looking for a new spot. After discussing looking at few other old sites we've been to, we noticed a little field that was cut and ready that wasn't one we tried before. I talked to a guy whos family owned the property; he wanted me to talk about it with his father ,who was out of town til the end of the week, ok.
So, when leaving I gave the option of left or right to IP, he chose left and we hit a nearby field that we had detected a couple of times in the past; notable finds included some coins, buttons, musket balls and bullets, and my 12lb cannonball.

We had a couple of hours before dark to make our day happen. So just when the rain started I was very happy to pop out a little gem of a find!
A decent example of a McCausland penny, a local token from the early 1800s

A few of you Canadians out there may recognize this one from the coin books etc; but still it's a pretty rare one anywhere on the planet including here!
I think I blew out the candle on IPs cake when I told him about it but maybe he'll find something better on my birthday!
This is now my best one and is a true detecting prize!

The Bank of Canada Museum

Attachments

• maca.JPG
    maca.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 843
Upvote 37

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got around to looking it up, and you have found two of these? Very interesting, as rare as they are you are blessed with finding two.

During my homework I came up with this page, now go out and find one or two of these to go with it!
ca_holey_dollar.jpg

By CoinWeek October 2, 2013 0 Comments
Read More →
PEI Coin & Banknote Rarities Come to Toronto For Canadian Coin Auction

It is not often that rarities such as the Prince Edward Island Holey Dollar, McCausland penny, a Farmers Bank of Rustico $5.00 note and an uncirculated one cent appear in one place. Geoffrey Bell Auctions of Moncton, NB will be offering these pieces on October 3rd and 4th at the Toronto Reference Library in downtown Toronto, Ontario Canada.

ca holey dollar PEI Coin & Banknote Rarities Come to Toronto For Canadian Coin AuctionThe Holey Dollar has quite a tale to tell. Canadian Coins on the Island in the early 1800’s were all leaving the colony to purchase goods such as hardware, clothing and tools. This left no circulating coinage for the locals to use. The Governor came up with a clever plan to rectify this situation. He took a Spanish 8 real piece, actually about 1000 of them, and cut a circular hole out of the middle. The 8 real piece was valued at 5 shillings at the time so he made the “ring” worth 5 shillings and the “dump”, the part cut out, worth one shilling. This kept these pieces on the Island for local use. One of these Holey Dollars is in the auction.

The McCausland penny was a crude attempt to pass as a penny. It was cut from a crude planchet with the initials P.E.I. on it. The reverse side was left blank. McCausland was a well-to-do farmer and fisherman living on the Island of Rustico, a predominately Acadian area. It is made of copper and is very rare and expected to bring $2000 to $4000.

The Farmers Bank of Rustico banknote was used at the bank around 1872. There are only 6 surviving copies and has an auction estimate of $8000 to $9000. This bank opened in 1862 and lasted until 1894 serving the local farmers and fishermen. It really had an extended lifeline primarily due to devoted clientele and frugality.

Many Canadians don’t realize that Prince Edward Island entered confederation after New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario. PEI entered the Dominion in 1871. They only had one official coin, the 1871 cent. To find an uncirculated specimen is a challenge to say the least and to get one at $1000 seems like quite a bargain. It did have a large mintage, therefore a few coins were put away in a safe place so that today’s collectors can acquire with diligence such a specimen.

Canada’s premier coin show, the Toronto Coin Expo is being held October 4th and 5th at the Toronto Reference Library and the general public is invited to the bourse floor where 35 dealers will be offering coins, medals, tokens and banknotes from Canada and the world. For more information, please visit The Toronto Coin Expo | October 3-4, 2014 | At The Toronto Reference Library.

Posted in: Canadian Coins

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome IH...something that was always in the back of my mind when I was digging over there. I did pop a counterstamped copper with a P on one side and an E on the other which got my blood pumping...for about 2 seconds...congrats!!!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That's awesome IH...something that was always in the back of my mind when I was digging over there. I did pop a counterstamped copper with a P on one side and an E on the other which got my blood pumping...for about 2 seconds...congrats!!!

You never know, it's crazy what we find sometimes in the places we find them
There's always a chance of something great out there, just get a coil over it!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That auction held some very valuable and rare coins, and I guess there's a possibility any could be found in the ground, but that sure doesn't happen too often

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow never seen one of these either! congrats!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Dirtyville guys dig some great stuff up there. Thanks for sharing something I knew nothing about. Congrats on another awesome find. Keep on diggin!

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wished I had, been there...done that. :thumbsup:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How I missed this one I'll never know…seen it on banner and rightfully so!! congrats on such a prize…Hope I can be so lucky…wasn't IP day but looking at his finds, he's no further behind!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
How I missed this one I'll never know…seen it on banner and rightfully so!! congrats on such a prize…Hope I can be so lucky…wasn't IP day but looking at his finds, he's no further behind!

You got that right, today it was his turn to hold the trophy for find of the hunt, I'll get my dirty fingers on it again soon!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great find!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS on finding an awesome coin and for making the banner. Give a birthday shout out to IP for me!

:)
Breezie

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helluva find Ironhorse :occasion14: Very nice Banner find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread