🥇 BANNER Its where you end up sometimes

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It's where you end up sometimes

Sometimes where a hunt begins is not always where it ends. I'll attempt to make this a brief story.
Me and Iron Patch got to kick off our fall hunting today to celebrate his b-day today (ps he's old)lol
We made plans to hunt other areas of a site we discovered years before, it didn't pan out the way we wanted so we hit the road looking for a new spot. After discussing looking at few other old sites we've been to, we noticed a little field that was cut and ready that wasn't one we tried before. I talked to a guy whos family owned the property; he wanted me to talk about it with his father ,who was out of town til the end of the week, ok.
So, when leaving I gave the option of left or right to IP, he chose left and we hit a nearby field that we had detected a couple of times in the past; notable finds included some coins, buttons, musket balls and bullets, and my 12lb cannonball.

We had a couple of hours before dark to make our day happen. So just when the rain started I was very happy to pop out a little gem of a find!
A decent example of a McCausland penny, a local token from the early 1800s

A few of you Canadians out there may recognize this one from the coin books etc; but still it's a pretty rare one anywhere on the planet including here!
I think I blew out the candle on IPs cake when I told him about it but maybe he'll find something better on my birthday!
This is now my best one and is a true detecting prize!

The Bank of Canada Museum

Attachments

• maca.JPG
    maca.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 845
Upvote 37

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool Banner find. I had never heard of these before this post.

That's because the circulation was limited but you must be familiar with the Charlton for Canadian tokens? ....basically the Canadian Redbook for pre Confederation coins in Canada. If it doesn't make the banner obviously no one took the time to educate their self a little on these... and as shown in the link, Ford had some!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool Banner find. I had never heard of these before this post.
I guarantee that 95% of TreasureNet won't of either, including me. Good job we have the Old Man from the North to educate us :laughing7:.. Great find Ironhorse, banner vote going in.:thumbsup:

If it's not pretty enough for the banner, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the wad of $$ in the back pocket.:laughing7:

SS

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not very flashy, but obviously pretty rare! Worthy of Banner. My vote in.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Was this from the same era as Vexator tokens? What about Blacksmith tokens?

For sure the same era, blacksmiths too; as there was a shortage and a need for small change in coins in the time of these coins, innovation and counterfeiting prevailed

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thank you everyone who voted for my token, a surprise find, but when you put yourself on a good old site anything can show up

I'm going to keep looking for another one now, or something better,the hunt goes on!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations for making the banner, not to mention a GREAT find!!:occasion14:

T-net is a great place to learn about what some of us have never seen or heard about, such as this case, now I'm a little smarter, I think!!!:dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats to amazing token find Ironhorse, it deserves a place up on the banner as it's truly a rare one for sure. I guess it's safe to say you'll remember this dig for a few moons to come.:headbang:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congrats IH on the Banner find which is amazing in itself but you have found 2 amazing tokens this week, which is really mind blowing. Keep it up, Rick and I will try our best to match you, but I wouldn't hold your breath.:notworthy::notworthy:
ZDD

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to be late to offer kudos to you......great find, and Congrats on your second Banner

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on such a rare find!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on BANNER Mr. Horse. It is definitely a rare token...Hope I find one someday.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen these tokens pictured in Charlton's over the years and never truly appreciated how rare they are ... until now! :occasion14:

Congrats on making the BANNER for a 2nd time ironhorse!
Dave

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one incredible find.
Congrats.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy belated banner find! I would have jumped out of my boots once I realized what it was. I'd love to see the happy dance associated with it lol. Totally awesome and well deserved!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is an interesting find! I have never heard of those that I can remember and I've been collecting coins nearly 40 years. It shows you can learn new things every day.

I have to wonder how many of those have just been thrown away over the years as they don't really appear to be anything interesting at first look.

Steve

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is an interesting find! I have never heard of those that I can remember and I've been collecting coins nearly 40 years. It shows you can learn new things every day.

I have to wonder how many of those have just been thrown away over the years as they don't really appear to be anything interesting at first look.

Steve

You know that is very possible. I once talked to a guy who had another rare local coin - a countermarked center punched 8 reale, and before he took it to the dealer it was mixed in with his change in his car for about a month. The first dealer offered him $100, and I strongly suggested he talk to the 2nd... and the 2nd paid him 2k on the spot. Had I not been there it's hard to say what would have happened because this guy had no clue what he had.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Holey Moley guys, what a find. Of all the ground on Earth! You save that for all to see unearthed! Sweet find and major congrats on the deserved Banner! jgas

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that rare "Banner Save" !!! And I am just looking for any silver bigger than a dime out here =D "Ironic !!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions