What's new

Ivory jewelry

kitkat420

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place but I will ask anyway. Does anyone here know anything about ivory jewelry? I inherited a few pieces from my grandmother, pre ban. I just don't know what to do with it. Lol
 
Ok thank you, I will look into it
 
What kinds of pieces? I might be interested, if the price is right. How about some pics?
 
capt-zero said:
What kinds of pieces? I might be interested, if the price is right. How about some pics?



image-726745542.webp

Here is a pic of a brooch I have, I will take pics if the other items and send as well. Hopeful I did it right.
 

Attachments

  • image-2841551194.webp
    image-2841551194.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 316
Here is more, a beaded necklace, I tried to get it close enough to see the lines, a ring and majong bracelet. I also have other rings and earrings that are whiter in color with gold wrapping, looking for them now.

image-2122138941.webp
 

Attachments

  • image-1286914558.webp
    image-1286914558.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 304
  • image-3079189615.webp
    image-3079189615.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 262
  • image-3932860493.webp
    image-3932860493.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 237
Wow,,, get them valued, but where would be the question :)
Good luck :)
 
Chips said:
Wow,,, get them valued, but where would be the question :)
Good luck :)

I know!!! That's the issue, one place asked that I send them in for them to evaluate, but I am not real comfortable with that since I have heard horror stories and claims of items not being received etc. the brooch is OLD. I have a picture of my great grandmother when she was maybe 40 years old wearing it. I live in PA and I haven't been able to find a place that can value it here
 
dandan13 said:
Don't you wanna keep it? Are you sure?

Honestly, I am in the tail end of a nasty divorce, And have been going through the boxes, many boxes if things I have inherited and trying to sell what I can to a) afford my lawyer and b) have se cash set aside to move ahead with. There is always some sentimental value with everything, but I have BOXES of stuff!!! I'm a simple person, and don't really have the appreciation for a lot of things others would. Jewelry, regardless of the type, is just not my thing. Now, if I had boxes of Louis Vuitton purses. That's a whole other story, lol, shoes and purses are all me, jewelry, not so much and when u tell you I have boxes, I literally have Boxes full of it. So, I'm sure. Lol
 
Unfortunately, in the present economic situation, I haven't had as much luck in selling ivory as one would expect. Of course I dont use feebay and mostly sell on craigslist. However, if the jewelry were mine, I probably wouldn't sell the nicer pieces. The more plain pieces, like the necklace you show, I generally get about $25-$30 for. If you do use feebay, be advised they prohibit the sale of ivory, you have to use a coded description, like ox-bone while the photos clearly show that it is actually not. Sale prices there generally don't exceed the prices I mentioned, except for exceptional pieces. The picture of my okimono below I picked up for $17 plus shipping.


DSCN0692.webp

The okimono is the fisherman standing in the photo and is made of walrus ivory and about 100 years old.
 
Honestly, I am in the tail end of a nasty divorce, And have been going through the boxes, many boxes if things I have inherited and trying to sell what I can to a) afford my lawyer and b) have se cash set aside to move ahead with.

Thank god I'm here with the best advise you'll ever get :headbang:

1- Most women don't get raked over the coals in a divorce, so any breathing attorney should work.
2- Save those trinkets for your future :tongue3:
3- Get yourself a sugar daddy, you'll make an excellent Trophy wife :icon_thumright:

There, all of your problems are solved :laughing7:
 
I'm so poor I can't pay attention, but I'm still game :laughing9:


P.S. It's still the best advise you'll ever get from here :laughing7:
 
Lol!!! Oh well, back to see if I can sell this jewelry! 😜
 
Lol, hmmmm.

Ok, any takers?
Well :icon_scratch: .... I could try to convince my wife that you are a relative that needs a place to stay until she decides to leave :icon_scratch:
SNAP! That ain't going to work . Mebbie you should just hang on to the ivory until times improve .
*Note(That Spartacus might be fun to play with ; but , you wouldn't want to take him to raise .)
>>>>>>that was for Ben , Spart :tongue3:
 
Do you like toothless old men? The only difference between me and a raisin is that while we are both wrinkled and without a prostate, the raisin never had a prostate to begin with.

In reguards to the jewelry, I think the auction idea was the best. In these economic times just don't expect the kind of return you might get with silver or gold. Check out the price range on Esty to get an idea on how much it's selling for. It's a shame you don't live here in Texas, I know a couple of collectors I could introduce you to; other than penniless me that is. You could run a tryout ad in Craigslist and see if you get some decent nibbles, that's how I met the collectors I know.
 
I LOVE toothless old men!! Makes cooking a breeze and lowers the dental costs, lol. My best friend lives in Texas, about an hour north of San Antonio.
I don't know any collectors here in PA, or anywhere for that matter. How close are you with your collector friends? Maybe you can show them the pics? If you could I will promise to make you a real tasty batch of grits....yummmmmm
 
Well :icon_scratch: .... I could try to convince my wife that you are a relative that needs a place to stay until she decides to leave :icon_scratch:
SNAP! That ain't going to work . Mebbie you should just hang on to the ivory until times improve .
*Note(That Spartacus might be fun to play with ; but , you wouldn't want to take him to raise .)
>>>>>>that was for Ben , Spart :tongue3:

Thanks, you were being kind. Ben would have found this thread and been a little sicker :tongue3:

Like Butch and I say, try to hold onto them until the economy turns a bit and get a better return, if possible.

An auction isn't a bad idea, but if you don't have the right crowd, you won't make anything on them. You'll also have to give a percentage to the auctioneer. I hate giving my money to other people, unless I'm guaranteed a great return :tongue3:

I wouldn't steer you wrong, I'm a driver Ed teacher :icon_thumright: OK, I lied :tongue3:

So, babydoll, sugarface, honeypie, sweet thing, wathca doin this weekend :dontknow: :laughing7:
 
Kitkat420,

If you could PM me some detailed close-up pics and descriptions, I'll be happy to forward them and see if we could do something for you long distance. Instead of grits, I'm more of a creme broulet, chocolate mousse kind of guy, hence the thoothlessness.

p.s. include a coin in the pics for size comparisons.
 
Kitkat420,p.s. include a coin in the pics for size comparisons.

Kitkat, use an odd sized foreign coin and let's see what they come back with, that'll test em :icon_thumright: :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom