What's new

J. Bibb and I go: Dig "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
4,741
Reaction score
295
Golden Thread
13
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
13
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J. Bibb and I go: Dig "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

What's up guys. These are my better finds from the previous two hunts. The first dig I went back to the Civil War Camp that I dug a lot of goodies off of and figured I’d try to dig a few more items. I was there about 10 minutes and had an Eagle button and two Minies in the pouch when I got a Button signal that was hitting abit ‘irony’. It was a solid signal though and barely a couple inches down. Well, I found out the reason it was sounding irony as soon as the plug was turned over and saw that Iron-Backed Confederate Block “A” staring back at me! That made my day and makes the 2nd Block A found on TNet in a months time as my good friend Civilman found himself one as well up in Maryland (Congrats again man). Rounded the day out with a few more bullets.
Then I invited my good friend James Bibb back down to have another go round behind the Confederate Lines at a Civil War battle site that I have where there's also a colonial hotspot. We stopped off at a couple sites first though, on a nice property across from another where I’d dug some nice Colonial and War of 1812 items. The first 5 minutes there I popped out a Ferdinand VII One Reale (Counterfeit) and then nothing else came up…..that’s how it sometimes goes….that and a significant portion of the property had been ruined with gravel…..
So we headed off to the other site, behind the Confederate Lines where we started to get into those Confederate musketballs and other relics. It began to rain relentlessly on us after about an hour of digging but NO MATTER, our blood was up, and we kept right on digging as if it was a nice warm sunny spring day :icon_sunny: ;D and by the end of the day, we both had a good amount of relics; several bullets, some buttons, I got a threaded piece from a Bormann Fuse from where they were exploding behind the Confederate lines and some other stuff. Found some strap ends that still had all the enamel on them in a colonial area of the site that was used between the 1600s thr. mid-1700s and a beautiful ornate buckle also popped out from about 11 inches down and MADE MY DAY...so without further delay....


Here’s the rest of the finds:







Beautiful Double Oval Buckle from the 1600's site and other finds fresh from the Pouch:
MDPicBlockA.webp


MDPicBlockA2.webp




MDPics 016.webp





Confederate Block "A" Coat Button


Front:
MDPics 019.webp

Back:
MDPics 020.webp




Group Shot: of the U.S. Ordnance Cuff Button, 1819 Ferdinand VII One-Reale, Confederate Block "A" and Eagle Buttons
MDPics 029.webp



MDPics 040.webp



MDPics 044.webp


MDPics 047.webp


MDPics 048.webp


MDPics 049.webp


MDPics 051.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

{Sentinel} said:
HISPAN said:
{Sentinel} said:
dfx willy said:
hey bud! something about that buckles screams reel old? have you gone on the buckle site and id that baby? congrats nice hunting. willy

Oh yeah, it came off a colonial site that was used from the mid 1600's through the mid-1700s so its definitely within that time range.


ModernMiner said:
Josh,
Great relics. Congrats on that "A" button, buckle, and reale. :thumbsup:
What is this piece? :icon_scratch:
-Dug-

Hey Doug, that's the back of the strap ends I was talking about. They are scalloped on the front, found 3 of them, 2 of which were the same size and then a tiny one that was identical except for the size.....I'm assuming they all came of the same set of leather straps.
Hi Josh !
These small mounts for leather belts are very common to find in Spain, are shaped Vieira (scallop) and are the emblem of the apostle Saint James, who was in charge of bringing Christianity to Spain , the scallop is the emblem of the Apostle James always carried one with the , nobody knows why,...... perhaps it is because of the scallops grew in the Sea of ​​Galilee and James was fishing in that sea when he met Jesus Christ. :icon_scratch: .....
I have some in my collection, they began making in the Middle Ages but continued to use till the 18th century.
I apologize for this historical and religious scroll I given them ... but it is necessary for proper identification and understanding of to Josh discovery :thumbsup:
Here I show .....

Thanks Hispan I did not know that the scallop shape was the symbol of the Apostle James, very interesting. I was surprised when they popped up with all the black enamel still attached to them...they must've been in the ground for 300 years or more given the age of the site.

I was referring to the other smaller piece.
 

Attachments

  • MDPics_048.webp
    MDPics_048.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,177
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

HISPAN said:
{Sentinel} said:
HISPAN said:
{Sentinel} said:
dfx willy said:
hey bud! something about that buckles screams reel old? have you gone on the buckle site and id that baby? congrats nice hunting. willy

Oh yeah, it came off a colonial site that was used from the mid 1600's through the mid-1700s so its definitely within that time range.


ModernMiner said:
Josh,
Great relics. Congrats on that "A" button, buckle, and reale. :thumbsup:
What is this piece? :icon_scratch:
-Dug-

Hey Doug, that's the back of the strap ends I was talking about. They are scalloped on the front, found 3 of them, 2 of which were the same size and then a tiny one that was identical except for the size.....I'm assuming they all came of the same set of leather straps.
Hi Josh !
These small mounts for leather belts are very common to find in Spain, are shaped Vieira (scallop) and are the emblem of the apostle Saint James, who was in charge of bringing Christianity to Spain , the scallop is the emblem of the Apostle James always carried one with the , nobody knows why,...... perhaps it is because of the scallops grew in the Sea of ​​Galilee and James was fishing in that sea when he met Jesus Christ. :icon_scratch: .....
I have some in my collection, they began making in the Middle Ages but continued to use till the 18th century.
I apologize for this historical and religious scroll I given them ... but it is necessary for proper identification and understanding of to Josh discovery :thumbsup:
Here I show .....

Thanks Hispan I did not know that the scallop shape was the symbol of the Apostle James, very interesting. I was surprised when they popped up with all the black enamel still attached to them...they must've been in the ground for 300 years or more given the age of the site.

I was referring to the other smaller piece.

Oh I see...you were speaking of the smallest one particularly. Well they were all buried right next to one another so I figured they all came off the same leather. The bigger ones were probably the strap ends and the smaller one was the leather mount like you said...it too has a significant portion of the black enamel still on it...i just didn't clean all the crude off of it :occasion14:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

Great digs guys. Some great finds as always. Keep on Diggin guys. :notworthy:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

Wow ! outstanding finds Sentinal ! I love the counterfeit silver ! and the block A button is awesome too ! But I have been wanting one of those early spectacle :o buckles for my collection in the worst way ! Congrads on some fantastic finds ! M.R.
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

Great finds Josh. There's no place in America like Virginia for relic hunting!!
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

Amazing finds Josh! :notworthy:
You and James did amazingly well man! :o

This piece is my favourite! :thumbsup:
Dave
 

Attachments

  • Colonial Buckle.webp
    Colonial Buckle.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 950
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

zaxfire69 said:
Great digs guys. Some great finds as always. Keep on Diggin guys. :notworthy:

:icon_thumleft: :wink:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

MaineRelic said:
Wow ! outstanding finds Sentinal ! I love the counterfeit silver ! and the block A button is awesome too ! But I have been wanting one of those early spectacle :o buckles for my collection in the worst way ! Congrads on some fantastic finds ! M.R.

Yeah that Buckle was the Find of the Day, it definitely lit my eyes up. I thought it was going to be a KG Copper the way it was hitting, but I was even MORE pleasantly surprised when I saw that beauty pop out.. :icon_thumleft: With your determination, you'll be more than one to your collection I'm sure before too long buddy :occasion14:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

joeyfresh said:
Great finds Josh. There's no place in America like Virginia for relic hunting!!

Yeah we got a Great State here for sure :occasion14:



ANTIQUARIAN said:
Amazing finds Josh! :notworthy:
You and James did amazingly well man! :o

This piece is my favourite! :thumbsup:
Dave

Hey Dave, yes I agree that buckle came out so very pretty too with the nice looking design it has on it. I'm very happy to have added that one to the collection. It was down DEEP too but was giving off a beautiful! signal......How's things been, give me a call sometime :occasion14:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

cool finds :thumbsup:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

jewelerguy said:
cool finds :thumbsup:

:icon_thumleft: :wink:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

ANTIQUARIAN said:
Amazing finds Josh! :notworthy:
You and James did amazingly well man! :o

This piece is my favourite! :thumbsup:
Dave

Hey Dave, yes I agree that buckle came out so very pretty too with the nice looking design it has on it. I'm very happy to have added that one to the collection. It was down DEEP too but was giving off a beautiful! signal......How's things been, give me a call sometime :occasion14:
[/quote]

I'll call you next week, as I'm headed up to Northern Ontario, I'm away from home on-the-road for a few days! :wink: PM me your number or send it through my person email, I just sent it to you. :thumbsup:
Dave
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

:o So many killers here :headbang: the scalloped piece may be a sleeper on it's history , next is the Magnificent 17th cent buckle , but the block A has it all happenin , 8) CSA campsite land has to be some of the Best hunts . I can only imagine the thrill of getting a belt plate :icon_scratch: :thumbsup: dawg
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

CMDiamonddawg said:
:o So many killers here :headbang: the scalloped piece may be a sleeper on it's history , next is the Magnificent 17th cent buckle , but the block A has it all happenin , 8) CSA campsite land has to be some of the Best hunts . I can only imagine the thrill of getting a belt plate :icon_scratch: :thumbsup: dawg

Thanks Dawg, CS Campsites and earthworks are great places, especially when there's a good amount of relics still left to find.. it was an enjoyable hunt and had the added advantage of sitting on an older and earlier Colonial site. :icon_thumleft: :wink:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

Well done!!! :headbang: :notworthy: Love the mix of finds! Another great hunt and post. :thumbsup:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

Amazing!!!!! :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

Were you using the T2 Josh?
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

awesome!! like the carved lead especial!!
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

JW15 said:
Well done!!! :headbang: :notworthy: Love the mix of finds! Another great hunt and post. :thumbsup:

Thanks JW my friend :wink:
 
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

sscindercoop said:
Amazing!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Hey Coop, appreciate it :occasion14:


Old Stonewall said:
Were you using the T2 Josh?

Hey Stonewall buddy, I used my trusty ole MXT for these digs as the weather was bad, and when it comes to moisture, the Whites MXT is a Tank in which rain doesn't effect. :occasion14:

blugotti1 said:
awesome!! like the carved lead especial!!

Yeah there's also a half fill case shot in the post too, those are especially nice and fairly desirable. Its the one that looks like a Crescent Moon. I've found alot of these at this site from exploded 6 and 12 pound Bormann Spherical Case exploding and raining them down.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom