diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple cool boxes. Paid $10 for the Jack Daniels one. Looks like they sell for $75-$85. The Remington Arms box dates to the late 30's I believe and was only $5, but it has one end painted with silver paint. I wish there were a way to remove it and leave the graphics. For the price though, I think I got a great deal. The bottles I just put in the box, tired of seeing them sitting on top my freezer, nothing special.

DSC09523.jpg DSC09526.jpg
DSC09521.jpg

DSC09527.jpg DSC09530.jpg
DSC09529.jpg DSC09531.jpg

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple green concentrate on a small piece of rag will soften the spray paint. I've used it a number of times to remove paint when there was good original paint underneath with great success. Silver, or any metallic paint, is really difficult to remove but it can be done if you are patient

How it will work on wood is new territory for me but it couldn't hurt to try

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'll try the simple green first to see what happens, I think I have some. If it doesn't work, I'll use lacquer thinner. I don't want to spend too much time on it though. Like you said, cant hurt it much more than it already is.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Is the JD crate a re-pop?

Do you know how many of those that I've passed up over the past 10 years? Yikes!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
As for the paint removal:

This sounds crazy:

I've had some pretty good luck with Goop or Go-Jo hand cleaner without pumice. It will soften old latex fairly well. I saved some Lionel bakelight pieces recently that were covered in old paint. I just globbed it on, spread it out, and a few hours later, the old latex was melting off the plastic!

It might stain or discolor the wood, but you already knew that.

Go-Jo might not touch it if it is oil based paint.

Just an idea for future reference.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the JD crate a re-pop?

Do you know how many of those that I've passed up over the past 10 years? Yikes!
The reason I bought it is because I saw one posted on here not too, too long ago. I don't think it's a repop. I see 2 styles, one with rope handles and mine with wood handles. The rope handled ones seem more plentiful. The prices vary greatly on those, from over $300 to under $50. The lady said it was her brother's (just passed) and that he actually visited the plant. She had a plactic tub full of JD decanters (and others) too but I left them. I think I should have bought the etched ones though, now that I look at some of those prices. I just have too much stuff already, so I declined. Could have had the whole bin for $5.

I only found 4 like mine that recently sold. Here's the highest priced one (like mine) that sold recently- Vintage Jack Daniels Whiskey Old 7 Wooden Box Crate Bar Mancave | eBay
The lowest priced one sold for $81 w/ free shipping. There were 2 more that sold for less but when you figure in the shipping, not.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD box for the win! excellent find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions