What's new

Jacksonian Era Navy Button?

DaChief

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. I have had this button for quite some time. I dug it in an area that gave me many military buttons from the late 1700's thru the Civil War.

I just saw a button ID done of one very similar with a Federal Eagle Design as a Jacksonian Era Military Button and I am wondering if this could possibly be a Navy Button of the same era. The measurements are right in comparison with the Jacksonian Federal Eagle Button, about 12.5mm recently described in another string.

Thanks,

DaChief
 

Attachments

  • TallShipButtonObverse.webp
    TallShipButtonObverse.webp
    14 KB · Views: 394
  • TallShipButtonReverse.webp
    TallShipButtonReverse.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 389
  • TallShipButtonObverse.webp
    TallShipButtonObverse.webp
    14 KB · Views: 393
  • TallShipButtonReverse.webp
    TallShipButtonReverse.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 447
Me thinks it's British... only because of the backmark (1850s)

I'm gonna see what I can find... Nice button!

It resembles a CSN Navy button I found with a schooner on it, but it's not the same...

I'm leaning towards civilian and non-military
 
Upvote 0
Jacksonian civilian waistcoat button, gilt brass, c. 1820's-40's. Except for the backmark, it appears to be nearly identical to an example listed by Hughes & Lester as, "Square rigger. Various ship designs are among the commoner patterns." (BBB, Plate 82, No. 21, pp. 214-15)
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Folks. I should have guessed a common button. What else? I found it!
 
Upvote 0
DaChief said:
Thanks Folks. I should have guessed a common button. What else? I found it!

I don't think common, and certainly NOT as many made as the military buttons. It's a great find!
 
Upvote 0
DaChief said:
Thanks Folks. I should have guessed a common button. What else? I found it!

Mail it to me. I'll pay the postage to send it.
 
Upvote 0
DaChief said:
Thanks Folks. I should have guessed a common button. What else? I found it!

Hey, there's nothing "common" about a nice Jacksonian! :thumbsup:

The comment by Hughes & Lester refers only to the fact that more Jacksonians feature images of ships than, say, locomotives (quite scarce in that era). Other common Jacksonian desgns included cornucopiae and baskets of flowers. However, they're all desirable.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom