Jade?

Onelove

Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in louisiana. I really like rocks that are translucent and I find a good but of these jade color ones and I'm just curious. I expect them to just be rocks but figured I would ask. The phone camera takes away from the greenness of them but they have more of a milky green gray look that the Smokey gray the picture suggests

1130170949c.jpg

OP
OP
O

Onelove

Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try to get a better angle or something

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try a white background. Looks chalcedony-like to me.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a micro crystalline quartz,couldn't tell better without a fresh break ,possibly agate, or something else in that family. .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Onelove

Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I googled agate the first one to come up is a trippy like pink and orange one that looked like a 60s poster. I found a bunch of that same color in the same area and liked them but threw them back. I'm starting to think I need to make a polisher

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try googling (moss agates) ,agates come in all kinds of colors naturally, those trippy colors are likely stained after slabing for commercial appeal, common practice for less than striking agate, I would get one cut to see, anyone with a tile, brick saw would do the trick.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Onelove

Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a wetsaw? The ones I was picking up had the same patterns . they just had texture and were matte. Ill go pick some up tomorrow and post pics . I know almost exactly where tossed em

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes a wet saw would do the trick, but you will still need to polish the fresh cut to see clearly the pattern and color, a little shortcut trick I use to save waste time polishing a undesirable piece just to see clearly, once you get a fresh cut rinse, dry, then dip your cut sample into polyurethane, this will give you a faux polish to the stone and allow you to see if these are desirable and worth your time or not, hope you let us know what you get!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Onelove

Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it was a nasty day. Couldn't get out to where these are without sinking up to my eyeballs but I did take a walk down a dirt road under a mound and found a partial tool made from some type of crystalline stone. I like your idea with the poly. Ill have to try that

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread