Jade?

Onelove

Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in louisiana. I really like rocks that are translucent and I find a good but of these jade color ones and I'm just curious. I expect them to just be rocks but figured I would ask. The phone camera takes away from the greenness of them but they have more of a milky green gray look that the Smokey gray the picture suggests

1130170949c.jpg

I will try to get a better angle or something

Upvote 0
Try a white background. Looks chalcedony-like to me.

Upvote 0
Looks like a micro crystalline quartz,couldn't tell better without a fresh break ,possibly agate, or something else in that family. .

Upvote 0
When I googled agate the first one to come up is a trippy like pink and orange one that looked like a 60s poster. I found a bunch of that same color in the same area and liked them but threw them back. I'm starting to think I need to make a polisher

Upvote 0
Try googling (moss agates) ,agates come in all kinds of colors naturally, those trippy colors are likely stained after slabing for commercial appeal, common practice for less than striking agate, I would get one cut to see, anyone with a tile, brick saw would do the trick.

Upvote 0
Just a wetsaw? The ones I was picking up had the same patterns . they just had texture and were matte. Ill go pick some up tomorrow and post pics . I know almost exactly where tossed em

Upvote 0
Yes a wet saw would do the trick, but you will still need to polish the fresh cut to see clearly the pattern and color, a little shortcut trick I use to save waste time polishing a undesirable piece just to see clearly, once you get a fresh cut rinse, dry, then dip your cut sample into polyurethane, this will give you a faux polish to the stone and allow you to see if these are desirable and worth your time or not, hope you let us know what you get!

Upvote 0
Man it was a nasty day. Couldn't get out to where these are without sinking up to my eyeballs but I did take a walk down a dirt road under a mound and found a partial tool made from some type of crystalline stone. I like your idea with the poly. Ill have to try that

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back