Jail sentence for collecting seashells

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
from reading the article it sounded like she knew what she was doing. In Georgia it is illegal to collect and keep native animals. The primary reason some people were collecting large number of snakes and other reptiles to sell on the market. These people are only in it for the money. The caught lady said she was only going to give them as gifts. Hmmm, don't think the law makes any difference between collecting and selling and collecting and gifting. Has she ever not see the millions of gift cards for sale in stores? I don't remember seeing any for conch shells.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from reading the article it sounded like she knew what she was doing. In Georgia it is illegal to collect and keep native animals. The primary reason some people were collecting large number of snakes and other reptiles to sell on the market. These people are only in it for the money. The caught lady said she was only going to give them as gifts. Hmmm, don't think the law makes any difference between collecting and selling and collecting and gifting. Has she ever not see the millions of gift cards for sale in stores? I don't remember seeing any for conch shells.
Yeah I was thinking there was probably signs posted warning against what she was doing. Still ignorance of the law is no excuse. I found that out in Nevada a couple months ago talking on my cell phone driving along I-80. That cost me $140.00. Here in Colorado I see cops all the time talking on a cellphone while driving.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She was arrested because the conch shells contain live conch.

"Prohibited Species: All harvest of the Bahama Starfish (Oreaster reticulatis) is prohibited. Possession of live Queen Conch (Strombus gigas) at any time is prohibited. It is not unlawful to possess queen conch shells in Florida as long as the shells do not contain any living queen conch at the time of collection, and so long as a living queen conch is not killed, mutilated, or removed from its shell prior to collection. Possession of conch meat or a queen conch shell having an off-center hole larger than 1/16 inch in diameter through its spire is prohibited. "

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/sea-shells/

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You been looking in the wrong stores. Try Walmart in Connecticut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread