Jasperware jug, any info or an exact match?

Wonderwhatif

Mar 12, 2023
Someone selling from this brand on Ebay said it was 100% genuine (with no benefit to them). It's a D
udson tankard and from my research it seems it was made during 1870-1899 (based on the England mark), but other than that and a 'tally' mark, it seems there is no markings. I have seen a similar dudson with the same metal lid and similar designs, but none that matched mine exactly.

Can anyone find this exact tankard, or what it's worth. It definitely has some damage and if not worth much I will repurpose it! But I'd hate to use it if someone will love it for a little money. Thanks all!

20230220_125524_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20230218_144237_HDR.jpg
    20230218_144237_HDR.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230220_131522_HDR.jpg
    20230220_131522_HDR.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230220_131532_HDR.jpg
    20230220_131532_HDR.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Someone selling from this brand on Ebay said it was 100% genuine (with no benefit to them). It's a D
udson tankard and from my research it seems it was made during 1870-1899 (based on the England mark), but other than that and a 'tally' mark, it seems there is no markings. I have seen a similar dudson with the same metal lid and similar designs, but none that matched mine exactly.

Can anyone find this exact tankard, or what it's worth. It definitely has some damage and if not worth much I will repurpose it! But I'd hate to use it if someone will love it for a little money. Thanks all!​
Did you post a photo? If so, I canā€™t see it.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
If thatā€™s a tankardā€¦ I guess use it as such at a keg party! I canā€™t tell you much. Iā€™d guess thatā€™s a Greek motif, but possibly Roman. Looks like possibly olive trees, togas and maybe laurel leaves. I wouldnā€™t guess it to be pre-1900, but hard to tell. Iā€™d Guess 1930ish. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Good luck!

OP
OP
Wonderwhatif

Wonderwhatif

Mar 12, 2023
If thatā€™s a tankardā€¦ I guess use it as such at a keg party! I canā€™t tell you much. Iā€™d guess thatā€™s a Greek motif, but possibly Roman. Looks like possibly olive trees, togas and maybe laurel leaves. I wouldnā€™t guess it to be pre-1900, but hard to tell. Iā€™d Guess 1930ish. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Good luck!
Haha, you're right, but for some reason Dudson calls them that versus the Wedgewood naming convention. A friend told me the lid is called a Syrup lid. Her dad works in antiques I just found out. Thank you so much! I see a lot of folks selling similar as Wedgewood???? so my guess it's not easy to find info on it. I was given it for free on a local Buy Nothing group, so I'm surprised it is turning out to be quite interesting. Thanks for your help!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itā€™s a nice jug, but not necessarily from Dudson. Unfortunately not terribly valuable and I would think a top-end price of about $50 would be about right for a pristine pieceā€¦ but less than half that if damaged.

The following information is extracted and condensed from Angela Grantā€™s excellent ā€˜Ridgway Pattern Bookā€™ website:
http://ridgwaypatternbook.org.uk/factories.html

The first thing to note is that rope-handled jasperware jugs were produced by the Ridgway group (mainly at their Bedford works) as well as by Dudson at their Hope Street works in essentially the same styles. The so-called ā€˜Tankard' shape jugs, coffee pots and 'cocoa jugs' in a multitude of decorative variations in this style, with and without lids made from ā€˜Britannia Metalā€™ seem to have arisen out of co-operation between the Ridgways and Dudson. The latter developed a cheaper process for production of jasperware and mosaicware (which they had been supplying chiefly to the hotel and Inn trade) and it appears that Dudson approached the Ridgways, seeking to take over production from them. The Ridgways perhaps agreed because their sales had been dropping and they were fearful of being undercut by Dudson's new process. The transfer appears to have taken place in several stages commencing with mosaicware in 1876/7 and jasperware in 1882.

Dudson only started to advertise jasperware in 1882 but output from the new process was initially small and the Ridgways continued to produce jasperware in the same styles (presumably with some sort of joint marketing agreement) until withdrawal from the market around 1891, leaving Dudson as sole producer. The Ridgways referred to the shape as ā€˜Paxtonā€™ rather than ā€˜Tankardā€™. Neither Dudson, nor the Ridgways used date codes or maker marks during this period and pieces from both producers are generally unmarked, with the exception of the metal lids. You might have a look on the underside of that lid to see if thereā€™s a patent referenceā€¦ often a kite-shaped mark that gives the design registration patent date in a coded format.

The curved impressed ā€œENGLANDā€ mark was used by both Dudson and the Ridgways and, as you say, is generally attributed to the period between 1870-1899. However, in the absence of reliable date marks, doubts have been raised that this is the case and there is some belief that mark was introduced during the latter part of that period as a response to the US McKinley Tariff Act (taking force in March 1891) requiring country of origin marking on imported goods. The requirement continued until 1914 when the words ā€œMade inā€¦ā€ were also stipulated.

The most common patterns for the Ridgwaysā€™ production are illustrated here:
http://ridgwaypatternbook.org.uk/church/rope.html#dudson1436

and for Dudsonā€™s production here:
http://ridgwaypatternbook.org.uk/other/dudsonnewclass.html#dudsoncherubsa

Note that these are not exhaustive lists, and generally cover the later patterns from about 1882 onwards. I couldnā€™t see your exact pattern but note that the ā€˜Cherubsā€™ pattern in the second of those links has the same upper decorative border as yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wonderwhatif

Wonderwhatif

Mar 12, 2023
Itā€™s a nice jug, but not necessarily from Dudson. Unfortunately not terribly valuable and I would think a top-end price of about $50 would be about right for a pristine pieceā€¦ but less than half that if damaged.

The following information is extracted and condensed from Angela Grantā€™s excellent ā€˜Ridgway Pattern Bookā€™ website:
http://ridgwaypatternbook.org.uk/factories.html

The first thing to note is that rope-handled jasperware jugs were produced by the Ridgway group (mainly at their Bedford works) as well as by Dudson at their Hope Street works in essentially the same styles. The so-called ā€˜Tankard' shape jugs, coffee pots and 'cocoa jugs' in a multitude of decorative variations in this style, with and without lids made from ā€˜Britannia Metalā€™ seem to have arisen out of co-operation between the Ridgways and Dudson. The latter developed a cheaper process for production of jasperware and mosaicware (which they had been supplying chiefly to the hotel and Inn trade) and it appears that Dudson approached the Ridgways, seeking to take over production from them. The Ridgways perhaps agreed because their sales had been dropping and they were fearful of being undercut by Dudson's new process. The transfer appears to have taken place in several stages commencing with mosaicware in 1876/7 and jasperware in 1882.

Dudson only started to advertise jasperware in 1882 but output from the new process was initially small and the Ridgways continued to produce jasperware in the same styles (presumably with some sort of joint marketing agreement) until withdrawal from the market around 1891, leaving Dudson as sole producer. The Ridgways referred to the shape as ā€˜Paxtonā€™ rather than ā€˜Tankardā€™. Neither Dudson, nor the Ridgways used date codes or maker marks during this period and pieces from both producers are generally unmarked, with the exception of the metal lids. You might have a look on the underside of that lid to see if thereā€™s a patent referenceā€¦ often a kite-shaped mark that gives the design registration patent date in a coded format.

The curved impressed ā€œENGLANDā€ mark was used by both Dudson and the Ridgways and, as you say, is generally attributed to the period between 1870-1899. However, in the absence of reliable date marks, doubts have been raised that this is the case and there is some belief that mark was introduced during the latter part of that period as a response to the US McKinley Tariff Act (taking force in March 1891) requiring country of origin marking on imported goods. The requirement continued until 1914 when the words ā€œMade inā€¦ā€ were also stipulated.

The most common patterns for the Ridgwaysā€™ production are illustrated here:
http://ridgwaypatternbook.org.uk/church/rope.html#dudson1436

and for Dudsonā€™s production here:
http://ridgwaypatternbook.org.uk/other/dudsonnewclass.html#dudsoncherubsa

Note that these are not exhaustive lists, and generally cover the later patterns from about 1882 onwards. I couldnā€™t see your exact pattern but note that the ā€˜Cherubsā€™ pattern in the second of those links has the same upper decorative border as yours.

Thank you for all the info! When I looked into it before I was able to find various 'similar' ones, but it seems they placed icons or people in random orders to make a lot of different patterns of that style and even borders and lids that are different but very similar pieces otherwise! Unfortunately there wasn't anything on the lid, but given how the mark is a little faded underneath, it's possible it used to have one. I did consider it could be a fake as well!

The closest I could find is just similar. Mine has holes for the lid (less common), a flatter style of lid than you generally see and the lady leaning on a pillar is flipped compared to most. This one is pretty similar, but still not exact (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1890s-brown-jasper-ware-jug-rope-309513375)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread