Jean Laffite actual last known domicile and headquarters on Galveston Island Texas.

Demopolis Al, where the Lallemandes were supposed to be.

I like the way you say, "were suppose to be."....:laughing7:.....I think it's pretty clear that they never intended to stay at Demopolis. And here's a kicker for some of those who didn't already know it.....none of these people were ever held to the conditions/terms of that grant. In less then a year "they" were all in Texas building a fortified fort on a site that had been previously located and laid out.

Wish we knew. He was from your neck of the woods, the Bedford area. He ended up moving close to the original French refugee vine & olive grant. He was of the same lineage as John Sherman.

Bedford County, Va.? Hmmm...
Mexico Sherman: "google" Descendants of Thomas Arthur...

Last edited:
If one wants to find one cache of JL's treasure, and one can only assume it was his, one must leave the island but don't spend too long there and only take what can fill your pockets in case the game warden pulls you over, don't go more than twice a year, have someone on alligator watch, and only sell to someone with a private collection. All you need is a jon-boat, a duck stamp and a warm blanket. Might want to follow a crabtrap line ;) HH

With all due respect Robot, if a person was cruising around in the Mexican government's helicopter looking for ancient wells, would one simply not have time to take a little 17km hop to Beach Gold Island? It must be a very treacherous place for seasoned sailors to brave going there. I grew up on shrimp boats then after the Navy, was an independent diver before going to work for a towing and salvage company due to the cost of insurance. I also drove a boat for Vessel Assist which Towboats US bought out, and there my friend, I did encounter treacherous waters, sometimes having to swim a line to a wind boat that had sandbar'd over and a couple on the rocks where I simply couldn't get my boat close enough to hook a line. If a "pirate ship" could make it to an island, why couldn't a much smaller vessel? I am not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand.

With all due respect Robot, if a person was cruising around in the Mexican government's helicopter looking for ancient wells, would one simply not have time to take a little 17km hop to Beach Gold Island? It must be a very treacherous place for seasoned sailors to brave going there. I grew up on shrimp boats then after the Navy, was an independent diver before going to work for a towing and salvage company due to the cost of insurance. I also drove a boat for Vessel Assist which Towboats US bought out, and there my friend, I did encounter treacherous waters, sometimes having to swim a line to a wind boat that had sandbar'd over and a couple on the rocks where I simply couldn't get my boat close enough to hook a line. If a "pirate ship" could make it to an island, why couldn't a much smaller vessel? I am not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand.

Although I was curious in the stories I had heard my focus at this time was not in "Pirate's Treasure".

The Mexican Coast Guard may still have this island listed as off limits to all, but if one wished to pursue it, it would be a simple procedure to take a boat out to this island.

It lies 17 kms off the coast in front of the beach in Progreso Yucatan due north.

I once looked it up on a topographical map to verify its location.
Let me know if you find something!

That's cool. It was long and I apologize for getting the facts wrong. Thank you for setting me straight. I'll leave my post up so anyone else wondering can have your reply above. The story in a nutshell which I may have forgotten or embelished on was closer to the truth than not. When I was a little kid, I didn't get to run around much because of alligators. I lived in a godforsaken salt swamp more or less so miserable due to the mosquitos. Just up the oyster road lived an old man in a shackish type house on the outside. I guess he was a junk collector because he enjoyed it. He lived quite well and had nice things that nobody else could afford like microwave ovens, vcr players, nice vehicles and boats. He hardly ever ran his shrimp boat or worked but he farted around a lot and went places. Who wouldn't tell a little kid tall tales? I was terrified of pirates coming ashore. He had old relics from times past. I heard the clues mentioned above but not at once if I can remember almost forty years back. It was very close to where we lived which was a place that no one else did. I'll never find it lol.

Edit: So much treasure, so little time.

"In 1948, John Andrechyne Laflin, who claimed to be a great grandson of Laffite, claimed he inherited a trunk containing a journal written by Laffite himself . According to the journal, Laffite retired in the St. Louis area and changed his name to John Laflin, married a woman named Emma Mortimer, had children and died in 1854 around the age of 70 . The paper of ink were determined to be of the period by the Library of Congress, but is felt to be a forgery by John Laflin himself due to the handwritting and Laflin's connection to other forgeries . It has not definitaly been determined if it is a hoax or not. Perhaps they can obtain some dna from Dominique You tomb above and compare it to relatives of Laflin . Doubt that's going to happen."

I'm not sure about Laflin ever admitting that he felt the memoirs were a forgery. I know I've never seen anything in that regard nor ever heard of it from a reliable/credible source. I do know several different attempts were made to authenticate the memoirs and this proved inconclusive, not due to the test but mostly due to a few key people who had their own reasons for discrediting the memoirs. This prior testing, and the circumstances surrounding those test is fully explained in the beginning of Gene Marshall's translation of that full text. In modern times there are still some forces at work that do not want that testing to be done for various reasons. I wish they would conduct these test but given all the modern day agendas and tug-of-wars, just as the above summary says, I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon. This is why Jay, myself, and a few others have undertaken the task of trying to verify or discredit everything we can in those memoirs.
Well you seem to have taken us down this road again, connecting Laflin's Lafitte memoirs to the Beale Papers.

Vine & Olive grant in Alabama...?
INTERESTING... The "SYMBOLISM" of V & O could be of interest, for later R & I. (Hint): the VINE is of Napoleon's "LINE"; Olive Branch may be for PEACE, with "colonies" on-the-move...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back