Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Incredible opportunity!!! I lived in AK for 16 years and it was the best thing I ever did! A word of caution tho, respect where you're at. I was careful and I almost bought it on more than a few occasions. Suffice to say watch out for avalanches, glaciers, the water, 33 foot high tides, mud flats, the dry village that isn't, handguns, the bears, the mosquitos...well, just take care and we want to stay updated! Congrats!:occasion14:

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff said it. And do not underestimate the cold. I've was caught in Moose pass with improper equipment and will ever remember the lesson. LOL, dry villages. I remember those.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff said it. And do not underestimate the cold. I've was caught in Moose pass with improper equipment and will ever remember the lesson. LOL, dry villages. I remember those.

LOL, I BBQ'd once when it was 40 below 0. Took 45 minutes to cook a one inch steak. That summer it was 86 in the shade. We put a tarp in the back of a short bed 4x4, filled it with hot water from two hot water heaters....instant hot tub! Ok, I had fun while I was there:thumbsup::laughing7:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BrutalBeck, just in case it has not crossed your mind your are going on a Big Adventure! It will require a lot of work, likely really dirty work as well as hard so treat yourself with care and try not to damage yourself. None of us are 10' tall or bullet proof! You've two types of bears in general in Alaska both of them are beautiful, both can sprint at 25 miles per hour or a touch better and both can kill you. A .44 Magnum is a small round, never shoot a bear in the belley, shoot wisely IF you ever shoot at a bear (know where to shoot a bear). Oh, the Moose will grind you into the ground especially IF it is rutting season or IF you get between MaMa and her 'little one'. Same with bears. Bears are also very protective of their food. Talk with the folks at the camp you are going to on how to stay safe up there from the native animals:bears, moose, elk in some areas, Wolves (don't forget the wolf pack) and even other smaller animals. Do not discount the mosquitoes as they are Mean! If you need to wear insect repellent put it on a permanent insect repellent outfit shirt, pants, hat, head net as opposed to putting it on your body as Deet will eat the skin up after awhile and Deet is the best there is, IMHO. Garlic is also useful though maybe expensive up there.

Ok, dread and gore done with - you are off on an adventure of a life time and as it has been asked by others Please keep in touch with us! Have fun!........................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO GUTS...NO GLORY. err on the side a caution,pack a big gun and them blood suckers hate eucalyptus oil,smells a bit but after your first 1,000 or so bites you'll do ANYTHANG for relief. Biting flies--lotza luck as protective clothes only advantage. Take plenty of dry clothes as wet will get ya quick like in deep trouble-party on and tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS-don't feed the bears :thumbsup:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I overheard a conversation while in Alaska that you may want to keep in mind during your adventures up there. "Hey Charlie... Think we should fly off with this one before the Big ones get here and drain him dry?"

Good luck and try to get out and have some fun while you're there!

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in your adventures Beck!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just received a call from a mining company in Alaska. They want me to be in Fairbanks in about 3 weeks. This is going to be a huge opportunity to work with a company that has 4 generations of mining history in Alaska.

Headin North to Alaska!!

You probably won't get a chance to see it, but if you can, check out Seward on the fourth of July. BIG get together and lots of fun watching people run up and down Mount Marathon

Seward.com ? Alaska Starts Here! » Mt. Marathon Race ? July 4th

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread