John Mecke Watch Paper etch plate is off to the museum!

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty stoked. I will call this my first museum find, as I dream of others...

I already started a long thread about it if you want to catch up: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...00s-jewelers-clock-watch-makers-embosser.html

To summarize, this is an etched piece that was once used to create a watch paper from. Watch papers were used by watch makers to place inside pocket watches to act as both protection and advertisement. I found it in Mt. Holly, NJ, not too far from Mr. Mecke's one-time place of business, Philadelphia.

I just got off the phone with the National Association of Clock and Watch Collectors who asked me to donate this to their museum. They think it's a great piece and will put it on display, as well as include digital images on their site. (In addition, the American Antiquity Society is including digital images in their national archives.)

Here are the last pics I've taken of the piece, cleaned up a tad more. One is how it looks naturally with reverse type, the other is reversed for easier reading, and then one I Photoshopped to bring out some more details.

Huge thanks to everyone who followed and chimed in on the initial thread, and especially RodgerDoger who identified what the plate was used for. You've all made a cool find even more exciting.

Yes, now I'm even more addicted to this hobby.

john-mecke-plate-low-res.jpg

john-mecke-plate-low-res-flip.jpg

john-mecke-plate-low-res-flip-inverse.jpg

Upvote 7

hammerstone

Greenie
Aug 5, 2012
tennessee
Detector(s) used
toro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty stoked. I will call this my first museum find, as I dream of others...

I already started a long thread about it if you want to catch up: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...00s-jewelers-clock-watch-makers-embosser.html

To summarize, this is an etched piece that was once used to create a watch paper from. Watch papers were used by watch makers to place inside pocket watches to act as both protection and advertisement. I found it in Mt. Holly, NJ, not too far from Mr. Mecke's one-time place of business, Philadelphia.

I just got off the phone with the National Association of Clock and Watch Collectors who asked me to donate this to their museum. They think it's a great piece and will put it on display, as well as include digital images on their site. (In addition, the American Antiquity Society is including digital images in their national archives.)

Here are the last pics I've taken of the piece, cleaned up a tad more. One is how it looks naturally with reverse type, the other is reversed for easier reading, and then one I Photoshopped to bring out some more details.

Huge thanks to everyone who followed and chimed in on the initial thread, and especially RodgerDoger who identified what the plate was used for. You've all made a cool find even more exciting.

Yes, now I'm even more addicted to this hobby.

View attachment 666555

View attachment 666557

View attachment 666556
This is a wonderful find. congrats.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may of missed it, but hasn't anyone voted this as an Honourable Mention, if not I do!

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! No, didn't make banner nor honorable mention. That being said, is there a way I can see if/how many votes it may have gotten? I'm a little clueless to it unless someone stated they voted. I really appreciate it.

But, like my fellow Academy members, it's an honor to be nominated :hello2:

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys! No, didn't make banner nor honorable mention. That being said, is there a way I can see if/how many votes it may have gotten? I'm a little clueless to it unless someone stated they voted. I really appreciate it.

But, like my fellow Academy members, it's an honor to be nominated :hello2:

Well I voted banner. This is deserving enough for the uniqueness and quality of find, and at least an honorable mention for giving it to a museum.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I voted banner. This is deserving enough for the uniqueness and quality of find, and at least an honorable mention for giving it to a museum.

Thanks, I really appreciate it! It totally made my day... 7.5 hours of nothing but junk, till this baby!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread