granthansen
Bronze Member
- Joined
- May 16, 2012
- Messages
- 1,474
- Reaction score
- 555
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- New Jersey
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty stoked. I will call this my first museum find, as I dream of others...
I already started a long thread about it if you want to catch up: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...00s-jewelers-clock-watch-makers-embosser.html
To summarize, this is an etched piece that was once used to create a watch paper from. Watch papers were used by watch makers to place inside pocket watches to act as both protection and advertisement. I found it in Mt. Holly, NJ, not too far from Mr. Mecke's one-time place of business, Philadelphia.
I just got off the phone with the National Association of Clock and Watch Collectors who asked me to donate this to their museum. They think it's a great piece and will put it on display, as well as include digital images on their site. (In addition, the American Antiquity Society is including digital images in their national archives.)
Here are the last pics I've taken of the piece, cleaned up a tad more. One is how it looks naturally with reverse type, the other is reversed for easier reading, and then one I Photoshopped to bring out some more details.
Huge thanks to everyone who followed and chimed in on the initial thread, and especially RodgerDoger who identified what the plate was used for. You've all made a cool find even more exciting.
Yes, now I'm even more addicted to this hobby.



I already started a long thread about it if you want to catch up: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...00s-jewelers-clock-watch-makers-embosser.html
To summarize, this is an etched piece that was once used to create a watch paper from. Watch papers were used by watch makers to place inside pocket watches to act as both protection and advertisement. I found it in Mt. Holly, NJ, not too far from Mr. Mecke's one-time place of business, Philadelphia.
I just got off the phone with the National Association of Clock and Watch Collectors who asked me to donate this to their museum. They think it's a great piece and will put it on display, as well as include digital images on their site. (In addition, the American Antiquity Society is including digital images in their national archives.)
Here are the last pics I've taken of the piece, cleaned up a tad more. One is how it looks naturally with reverse type, the other is reversed for easier reading, and then one I Photoshopped to bring out some more details.
Huge thanks to everyone who followed and chimed in on the initial thread, and especially RodgerDoger who identified what the plate was used for. You've all made a cool find even more exciting.
Yes, now I'm even more addicted to this hobby.



Upvote
14
at least about wages and equipment. This piece does have some monetary value. Not a ton but I'll at least have some numbers to declare. But the real value for me is contributing a notable find to a place where it, and its former owner, can be appreciated and live on. How it wound up a foot deep in Nj over 100 years ago? I think that is the mystery I may never solve concretely.
Thanks!







