Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where do you get those rubber mats? The flared sluice not work out?
The Flared sluice was built for my friend and it works. I got this aluminium one as sponsored item from Finnish supplier (Deleted for rule violation ) which also sells the Rubber mats.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kicking off the mining season at my main claim:

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So finally got my new gold dredge assembled and tested it if it even works. It is an 3" Infinity Jet type dredge nozzle.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And so our experiments continue with the new toy (dredge)... come and see...

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And so our experiments continue with the new toy (dredge)... come and see...

That sluice looks awfully high up, also the sluice looks a little narrow. What size nozzle opening? Also need some sort of header box to slow that slurry flow down. For dry land dredging I like to use a separate hose to wash dirt down to the nozzle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sluice looks awfully high up, also the sluice looks a little narrow. What size nozzle opening? Also need some sort of header box to slow that slurry flow down. For dry land dredging I like to use a separate hose to wash dirt down to the nozzle.
Not sure what do you mean high up?

Sluice is narrow yes, it was originally meant for slow paced spade feeding. Nozzle is 76mm / 3" ... No need for header box because the run has over 2 meters of prerun where the slurry has time to settle before coming to the riffles.

Yeah we realized also that there is need for external hosing, how ever the ejector nozzle had been already designed for this we just were missing the hose part. We added it later.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get the sluice closer to the level you're dredging. Lifting the material so high reduces the efficiency of your equipment.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You need to get the sluice closer to the level you're dredging. Lifting the material so high reduces the efficiency of your equipment.
Yes i am very well aware of this. however i cannot lower the sluice much more down because that would cause flooding of the pit.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It’s a little narrow for a 3”, my old 3” dredge I sold off had a 14” wide sluice box. Might be blowing out fines with something like that. You’re sucking a lot of air you will get better results if your nozzle is underwater all the air in the slurry is hell on fine recovery also the volume of dirt and water will greatly increase. It’s possible to move good dirt with limited water in the hole if you run another jet in between the nozzle and the sluice box but it takes a lot of pump power and you have to deal with getting the air out as such a setup sucks a lot of air.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It’s a little narrow for a 3”, my old 3” dredge I sold off had a 14” wide sluice box. Might be blowing out fines with something like that. You’re sucking a lot of air you will get better results if your nozzle is underwater all the air in the slurry is hell on fine recovery also the volume of dirt and water will greatly increase. It’s possible to move good dirt with limited water in the hole if you run another jet in between the nozzle and the sluice box but it takes a lot of pump power and you have to deal with getting the air out as such a setup sucks a lot of air.
Thanks for the great input.

Yeah we ran this old standard 150mm sluice (6"?) because i had no other sluice available at the moment. Next summer i am bringing out my big boy 200mm (8"?) . I did kinda want to go even wider, but the logistics of getting yet another sluice at the claim are getting bit... annoying. I do see that i could really use something like 400mm or so wide for the dredge easily, as it would cut down the need for long run length. Do keep in mind that the sluices run for about 5 - 6 meters (16 - 20 feet) so they have plenty of run to settle. Also at my claim there is very little micro gold present anyway. It is mostly coarser stuff. We also regularly take testings from the tailings and so far they've been clean enough for me.

At the moment i am pumping at maximum capacity what my water permits allow so i cannot give any more power to pump unfortunately.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
8” is still a little narrow for a 3” dredge, you could make it into an over under sluice. I have such a setup on my 4” dredge.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
8” is still a little narrow for a 3” dredge, you could make it into an over under sluice. I have such a setup on my 4” dredge.
Even when it is 6 meters long?

Anyway here is the latest vid from the claim :

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

So we keep on dredging and finally start getting some signs we're on perhaps the right track. Also my mining buddy from another corner of Finland feats and also finds some gold.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Finally reached bedrock proper on my last seasons mining and started finding some gold. Check it.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Finding more gold from the top of bedrock.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes it is good to look back to the journey you have done so far. I did some digging up and found some photos from 2010 diggings on my claim. I go thru them on this slow paced vid and talk about them and what happened back then. Spoken Finnish, but subtitled for your pleasure.

OP
OP
Jomsa

Jomsa

Jan 19, 2022
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-terra 705
White's TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What’s the average take over there?
Varies wildly, but i'd. Best parts average around 3g/m3 but mostly it is around 0.3g/m3. The valley is quite small so the concentrations are very localized.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread