What's new

One last trip

Search_4_Atlantis

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 17, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Greetings from Alberta, Canada!

I'm coming to you folks today in search of knowledge. My father recently passed away. Before he left, he gave me a map of a river that is rumored to have gold in it. Told me I need a metal detector and hip waders, to go scan the river when the water flow is at its lowest, sometime in the spring he said, iirc.

We were supposed to go do this together, but now he's no longer here and I have no idea what to do. I have so many questions. I guess the first thing that comes to mind, is equipment. What sorts of equipment would suffice for this sort of adventure? I'm thinking I can't just go grab a cheap $300 detector, eh? The second thing that comes to mind is safety. This river is located in northern Alberta, in the heart of the Boreal forest. Think: BEARS. What do prospectors do to ward off wild animals without the use of firearms? Is prospecting even advised without one?

I'll post more questions as they come to mind. This was the last thing my father ever gave to me, so I owe it to him to see this trip out, gold or no gold. It's the adventure that counts.
 
Greetings from Alberta, Canada!

I'm coming to you folks today in search of knowledge. My father recently passed away. Before he left, he gave me a map of a river that is rumored to have gold in it. Told me I need a metal detector and hip waders, to go scan the river when the water flow is at its lowest, sometime in the spring he said, iirc.

We were supposed to go do this together, but now he's no longer here and I have no idea what to do. I have so many questions. I guess the first thing that comes to mind, is equipment. What sorts of equipment would suffice for this sort of adventure? I'm thinking I can't just go grab a cheap $300 detector, eh? The second thing that comes to mind is safety. This river is located in northern Alberta, in the heart of the Boreal forest. Think: BEARS. What do prospectors do to ward off wild animals without the use of firearms? Is prospecting even advised without one?

I'll post more questions as they come to mind. This was the last thing my father ever gave to me, so I owe it to him to see this trip out, gold or no gold. It's the adventure that counts.
Welcome aboard.
You will need something better than a cheap detector for gold. There's a reason its a precious metal. 😉
 
Greetings from Alberta, Canada!

tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: CANADA for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider browsing and posting your question on Metal Detecting For Gold for additional exposure...
 
Greetings from Alberta, Canada!

I'm coming to you folks today in search of knowledge. My father recently passed away. Before he left, he gave me a map of a river that is rumored to have gold in it. Told me I need a metal detector and hip waders, to go scan the river when the water flow is at its lowest, sometime in the spring he said, iirc.

We were supposed to go do this together, but now he's no longer here and I have no idea what to do. I have so many questions. I guess the first thing that comes to mind, is equipment. What sorts of equipment would suffice for this sort of adventure? I'm thinking I can't just go grab a cheap $300 detector, eh? The second thing that comes to mind is safety. This river is located in northern Alberta, in the heart of the Boreal forest. Think: BEARS. What do prospectors do to ward off wild animals without the use of firearms? Is prospecting even advised without one?

I'll post more questions as they come to mind. This was the last thing my father ever gave to me, so I owe it to him to see this trip out, gold or no gold. It's the adventure that counts.
I looked up what kind of bears you have there. The good news is the black bears usually won’t hurt people. But in the states (especially tourists areas) they are getting a more aggressive because people (usually tourists) keep feeding them. So they’ve lost their fear of people and expect everyone to offer them a snack. I don’t know if your area has that same problem.

Grizzlies are there too and that’s the bad news. I don’t know much about them except they are much more aggressive and like foothills more than mountains. I’d suggest carrying bear spray at the very least, I can’t recommend shooting one for cultural reasons.

Good luck and safe travels on your hunt.
 
Bears as a rule will turn and take off, it's the Sow with Cubs that one has to be careful with as the mother is very protective. Give them a wide berth. As GirlWithWolf mentioned always bring Bear Spray and I also bring a whistle to make noise.

What river are you going to? If it is the Peace River I would suggest bringing a gold pan and shovel. At this time of year it is spring flood and once the water level goes down your chances of panning river flood gold will be better. Good luck with your venture....
 
Welcome from North Carolina and I am sorry for your loss.
 
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your loss.
 
Like it has been said, SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS ! another important fact is DON'T TRY TO CROSS INTO CANDA WITH A FIRE ARM !!! THEY WILL CONFISCATE IT ! BEAR SPRY or take a Canadian with you for backup ! It sounds like a great adventure your late father has presented you with ! Have fun stay safe! Take lots of pictures !!!!
 
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:
 
Welcome to treasurenet . First two things i would buy in case of Bear issues . 1. Bear Spray 11 2. 44 MAGNUM Pistol incase the Bear Spray does not work :) Be careful
Be sure to get a completely under water type detector.
 
We were supposed to go do this together, but now he's no longer here and I have no idea what to do. I have so many questions. I guess the first thing that comes to mind, is equipment. What sorts of equipment would suffice for this sort of adventure? I'm thinking I can't just go grab a cheap $300 detector, eh? The second thing that comes to mind is safety. This river is located in northern Alberta, in the heart of the Boreal forest. Think: BEARS. What do prospectors do to ward off wild animals without the use of firearms? Is prospecting even advised without one?

Having a lot of questions is a good thing...what you are talking about is not a walk to the park.

My first thought is that, if you do not have any wilderness experience, then do not venture into that wild country without someone who does have experience.

As Cariboo suggested, time of year is going to be critical. Weather changes can happen fast at some times of the year, and as you said you want to hit it when the water is at it's lowest flow.

You will need a decent gold detector, especially after trekking all that way. I would suggest talking with one of the sites vendors. A top notch gold detector is worth the expense for a trip like that, and more important, be sure you get hours of experience with it before making your trip. Knowing that machine (and what it's telling you) brings a far better chance of success.

As for bears, check with the wildlife officials about the bears in that specific area. Buy two or three cans of a [proven] bear spray, and go out into an open field and practice a time or two. Knowing how to quickly and efficiently operate that spray could mean the difference between a really, really bad day, or just a good scare.
moose.gif


My dad passed in '09, and I still can't look at a fishing pole without a good memory of him popping into my mind. What you are doing for your dad is definitely cool. :icon_thumright:

I see you've been back to check this thread; I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear more about this trip you're planning.
 
Welcome aboard from San Diego!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom