What's new

Jug

vibes

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
2,093
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I originally posted this in the ceramic/pottery forum and another T-Net member suggested I post it here as well.

I found this sticking outta a riverbank of the St. Joseph River in Niles, MI

Any info, insight, comments are welcomed and appreciated!

oops, I forgot dimensions:

11 1/2" H
7" D
 

Attachments

  • jug.webp
    jug.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 274
  • jug2.webp
    jug2.webp
    50.3 KB · Views: 269
  • jug3.webp
    jug3.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 270
  • jug.webp
    jug.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 270
  • jug2.webp
    jug2.webp
    50.3 KB · Views: 256
  • jug3.webp
    jug3.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 275
vibes said:
I originally posted this in the ceramic/pottery forum and another T-Net member suggested I post it here as well.

I found this sticking outta a riverbank of the St. Joseph River in Niles, MI

Any info, insight, comments are welcomed and appreciated!

oops, I forgot dimensions:

11 1/2" H
7" D
I am no expert, but your jug looks to be 1880s in age. A maker's mark might be the key to dating. With no markings, the form is the only clue, and this looks earlier than TOC.

The scar on the side is a kiln scar. Something collapsed during firing, and this jug leaned against a neighbor. A common, in-making flaw which you needn't repair.

The broken handle can be restored without much problem. Use SCULPTAMOLD, a combination of plaster and paper pulp. It's easy to mold by hand, and it is hard when cured. You'll have to experiment with paint to match the slip-glaze color and texture.

This one will display nicely. Show us the before and after images when you restore the handle.
 
This is an 1830s ovoid form which I found. Note the kiln scar on the shoulder. The other side has another scar to match which suggests two neighbor pieces leaned onto this jug in the kiln.

stonewaresuwannee.webp​
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom