Junk Or Bayonet?

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I found this piece today in some bulldozed dirt that some Civil War stuff has turned up at. The back just doesnt look right for a bayonet, but you never know. I noticed there are grooves going down the whole length of the piece. On the back end there appears to be a hole for a bolt i presume. My girlfriend's neighbor seemed to think it was some railroad related tool, which makes sense because of my town having a street trolley and railroad activity locally.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
no clue but does look some what like one or old iron towel rack

It has the shape of a bayonet but... I dont think it is. Interesting...

If it were a CW bayonet, that style would have a triangular blade. It looks round in your pictures and if is so, is not a CW bayonet. Interesting piece though. I hope you figure it out.

Civil War bayonets typically had 18" blades

I wasnt real hopeful it was anything after i got it home, but i was sure excited when i dug it. I only dug it because i thought i had a decent signal right next to it that turned out to be false. It's most likely part of some tool, or a wagon part

I don't think it's a Bayonet, Keep on looking! :hello:

It sure looked bayonet-ish to me when you found it! Is it not triangle-shaped? Ah well....better than a poke in the eye with a rusty railroad tool...... See ya soon John.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back