Junk

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
I have a question. I see a lot of people posting their junk finds along with their good finds. Why? I usually just stop at the nearest garbage can and toss it all and don't waste any time sorting into smaller junk piles. Just wondering and to the people who do it, no disrespect just asking.
Daryn

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
One man's junk is another man's treasure.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question. I see a lot of people posting their junk finds along with their good finds. Why? I usually just stop at the nearest garbage can and toss it all and don't waste any time sorting into smaller junk piles. Just wondering and to the people who do it, no disrespect just asking.
Daryn

I do it to let new detectorist know that there is a lot of junk dug to find some nice finds. HH

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just throwing your "Junk" away might bite you in the butt one day. I have found a lot of items in my "junk pile" that turned out to be good items. I have also throw away a few cannon friction primers that I thought were nothing until I learned better.

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well like every good person should do I always take my junk/trash with me to toss. I don't keep it unless it is something worth keeping for historical reasons or monetary value. and I throw it away ASAP. If I'm not sure what it is and its not a crusted hunk of iron ill look into it. as far as any brass copper or lead bits I keep in different buckets for scrapping and that stuff adds up quick! I took last years scrap in last month and had enough to buy 5 silver bars a couple 1 gram gold bars and my battery supply for this year.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same as recondigger I keep all the lead brass copper aluminum [,zinc w/ I really hate to dig] even iron, I also keep the i don't no,s for later id . [I heard too many horror stories from the old timers about throwing away good relics]..No I don't post the junk but if someone wants to Oh Well. p.s. All the clad I dig turns into Silver eventually.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I've been keeping my small grooviest-looking junk because sometime this year I'm gonna make a funny junk-o-saurus dinosaur family from it, then post photos of it here at t-net. I keep the best, most unusual bottle caps for our grandsons' bottle cap collection. Like others here, I always throw away my other dug junk, which sadly on our pretty beaches includes a lot of sharp old corroded nails, broken glass, a few bullets & shells, etc. Adios! Andi

OP
OP
Daryn

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
All great thoughts. Thanks for sharing everybody. Great idea keeping the little bits in buckets; I have a local scrap yard a mile from my house. New to MD and still feeling all of everything out.

Thanks again,
Daryn

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
I have a junkyard about a mile from where I work. I've been detecting for about 10 years. From 2004 until 2010 (7 Seasons), I just kept my coins and other items that interested me.

I wish that I would have kept everything with current metal prices.

Since 2011, I have started kind of separating my finds. Still keep the coins and other interesting items separate, but I have buckets for Aluminum, Brass, Copper, and Iron/Steel.

EVERYTHING that I don't know what it is, just gets throw in with the Iron/Steel.

Sure Iron and Steel is only maybe 9-12 cents a pound a times, but it adds up. Aluminum, copper, brass, and lead are all much more. It isn't hard to dig $50-100 a year in scrap metal. Some people probably get a lot less, but I'll guarantee you some get a lot more than that. It could pay for batteries, gas, or a few good meals.

I started a separate Savings Account when I started detecting. My goal was to put all my Clad in there until one day I had enough to buy something awesome. Now, I also put the money I find in there from Scrap Metal (found when detecting) and pop cans/bottles found when detecting. My goal is to have enough one day to buy a Springfield M1A National Match. If someone asks how I could afford it...I'd simply state...Digging Pennies!!! HaHa.

Of course, my problem is that I don't dig much Clad so it doesn't add up that real fast.

Either way...one day maybe I'll enough to get one.

DH24

Gold007

May 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you collect that junk metal and it adds up! Once you have enough metal you can take it to a scrap metal yard and they will give you some bucks. Don't expect a million dollars from it but you can get some bucks for it. No, all people that are in this hobby don't do that. All the junk metal I find, I just throw it away and not waste any time collecting junk metal. Its just a personnel option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread