Just a little button - but it's significant to me!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. The snow is finally starting to melt here in NJ and I had 90 minutes open on my schedule this morning, so I headed over to that farm near me where they're putting in the new driveway (the one where I found the 1753 1 Real).
This was the first time I took the XP Deus to that iron-infested site, and it did not let me down.

I found this little cuff button, maybe late 1700's or early 1800's, and while the button itself isn't all that special, it was important to me for 3 reasons:

1. It marks the beginning of the 2021 detecting season for me, and it "scratched the itch" of needing to find something old and dig it up. (FYI front of button is plain).
2. I pulled that little button out of a patch of "machine-gun" iron (using Calabash's phrase - you know, the kind of place that goes bop-bop-bop-BEEP-bop on a swing of the coil). To me that button was validation of why I invested in the Deus for this site and others like it. My Equinox may have given me a 15-16 VDI beep but it would have been mixed with iron grunts and I probably would have skipped the signal. The Deus separated that button from the iron very, very well.
3. It shows me that I haven't gotten everything out of the soon-to-be driveway area.

Continuing #3 over to the other finds, the stuff on the left is probably pieces of an old oil lamp. There's a lead seal (not old) at the top, and a couple of other random targets mixed in (triangular black one is coal, the other two are iron but not nails).

You know what I did NOT dig with the Deus this morning? Square nails. With my Equinox I'd dig 10-20 square nails for every good signal; you know those square nails that are bent or that fool the Equinox by giving a high tone/VDI.
This morning - zero. I'm not sure if that's because of the Deus, or just because of the location (or maybe I've pulled out all the nails! Ha - not likely).

At the end of the hunt I found that quarter (1997) in an area I haven't detected too much, which shows me I've missed some areas. It was an easy target that should have been found with the Equniox if I'd swung over it. Clearly I hadn't swung over that area.
I can't wait to go back when I have more time!
And I'm so glad the 2021 season has begun!

- Brian

2sE1btX.jpg G6BqAlo.jpg

Upvote 10

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking old button. It's nice to find them with the shank still intact.

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats....... with shank also

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brian, Congrat's on the nice save of the flat button. That is a significant save. Congrat's too with the Deus. It is cool to find buttons with the shanks still intact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread