What's new

Just a partial wish I could have found it whole

welsbury

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Messages
1,191
Reaction score
1,949
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This piece I found while digging at my feedlot site. I believe it is a Blackrock Concave base and is paleo. It is very thin and made of a green obsidian. To us western folks it is a significant type and I sure wish it were whole. Maybe I can come up with a whole one in the future, at least I know they were there.
 

Attachments

  • Blackrock side A.webp
    Blackrock side A.webp
    454.6 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0
Here is other side
 

Attachments

  • Blackrock side B.webp
    Blackrock side B.webp
    342.9 KB · Views: 97
Dang that is some nice material and flaking! I hope you find the rest of it.
 
It is an old break so probably won't find other piece. Thanks for reply.
 
Sure do. That is my hope to find one there, whole this time. Thanks for reply Cameronstrause.
 
Last edited:
That green stuff is really cool- Ive only found small flakes of it myself..... and yeah that is a heart breaker....the maker spent some time on that one
 
Really like the green obs. Have only found a few whole points out of it. Thanks crj1968
 
A beautiful wouldabeen, for sure!
 
I tried to get a good end view pic but they turned out really unfocused. Measured it is 4mm or so thick,52mm wide at break. Stay tuned and I will put up pics of a whole one I found in the 80's. Thanks for reply Joshua. Should also mention it is nicely ground full length of sides
 
Last edited:
Dang what a killer it would of been.
 
Seems like the good ones are usually broke.

Yep its a shame. I found the mid section yesterday of what would of been a nice something shows lots of work on it.
 
Heartbreak and a half. Still a nice oold find though. Good sign of things to come.
 
Cool looking piece... I like any point that shows alot of flaking. I've found some fire treated material around my house and I've always wanted to find a point made out of it.... But it's not happened yet... Maybe one day for the both of us

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
I tried to get a good end view pic but they turned out really unfocused. Measured it is 4mm or so thick,52mm wide at break. Stay tuned and I will put up pics of a whole one I found in the 80's. Thanks for reply Joshua. Should also mention it is nicely ground full length of sides

Actually those measurements are better than pictures. It's amazing how thin Blackrocks usually are, it takes a really high degree of knapping skill and good rock to consistently make points like that, that thin using aboriginal materials. (Not slabs cut on a rock saw.)

Great find, I'd love to see your other one.
 
Actually those measurements are better than pictures. It's amazing how thin Blackrocks usually are, it takes a really high degree of knapping skill and good rock to consistently make points like that, that thin using aboriginal materials. (Not slabs cut on a rock saw.)

Great find, I'd love to see your other one.
Thanks for your interest Joshua. I will try to get pics of it up tomorrow along with others I found at same site.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom