Just a pointless question....kinda

jimmy28303

Feb 18, 2009
Williamsburg, VA
I am being moved to AK and will be driving from VA. I was thinking that this is gonna be a GOLDEN opp to find some silver in these little towns out in the middle of nowhere. My question is, how much money would you think one would need to take when your dump banks are gonna be far and few between. I was thinking a couple thousand but then wondered if that would be enough. Thanks

Upvote 0
If I were going to be driving across the states from VA. I would bring as much cash a possible. Ofcourse you would have to be especially careful. But if I had the time I would hit as many small towns along the way as I could. I would call ahead. Man what an opportunity. Are you traveling alone? How much time do you have to get to Alaska? Or did you mean ARkansas? Anyway, I would call ahead to all banks along my route. Yes this would be time consuming but well worth it. I would make sure my truck space had a large container in the back to hold my clad. I have done this before on a several state road trip. I took nearly 5,000 dollars with me and if I could have brought more I would have. I hit some big scores. I stopped anywhere that said they had several rolls of half dollars. In your case you may have to limmit stops to places that have 5 rolls or more. If you had the money and the stamina I would even call and ask if they also have 2009 coins. This could tie up your money for a few weeks but think of the profit you could make on ebay. Good luck and hope it works out. Deffinately this is a numbers game so the more you go through the more silver you will bring in.

Golden silver

I'd take all I could, you could, would spend the coins on gas & other stuff; just make sure your car can handle al the wheight from the coins you pick up. Oh what an opportunity you gots!!!

Seems like a good opportunity in front of you, I'd guess it's at least a 3500 mile road trip, should be able to really do some damage, depending on of course,how much time you have, take all the cash you can

At least $10K. It's a LONG trip. I'd also try to figure out whee you have basnks with coin counters and make sure you can hit those as you go through, so you can continue ot rotate the money. LIke here, there is one bank that has counters. So I know where ALL the branches are in town. Sometimes when I go to banks for teh day, I"Ll hit 8 banks, then the dump bank, hit 4 more, then the next dump bank, hit 1 more, than another dump bank, then 12 more and the last dump bank. If I stop to eat lunch somewhere, I can work some of the rolls I picked up that day, and dump them the same day I got them. If not, then I dump what I have in spurts and pick up what I can, and then hold the coins until the next trip and hit the dump banks again. I also have a dump bank close to my house (same bank) and hit them twice a week with dumps. I promised ot not do more than that. I never dump more than $250 of pennies a week, or $1,000 in halves. They have a small vault, and are FINE with my dumping, but my courteousness about their storage space until the truck comes makes them happy, so I follow those self-imposed guidelines. Add that to any branches I hvappen to drive by at ANy time, and I know where my dumps are all the time.

Thanks for the advice. I really didnt know i would need that much cash. My wife and I are making a vacation out of it and i will have about 28 days to get there so i will have plenty of time to hunt. I also have a Tahoe so carrying the dumps should be no problem. I really appreciate yall's advice. Thanks :icon_thumright:

jimmy28303 said:
Thanks for the advice. I really didn't know i would need that much cash. My wife and I are making a vacation out of it and i will have about 28 days to get there so i will have plenty of time to hunt. I also have a Tahoe so carrying the dumps should be no problem. I really appreciate yall's advice. Thanks :icon_thumright:

Make sure the wife is in agreement with bank stops. I've made that mistake too often and it has been disappointing to drive right by the banks cause she didn't want to stop. ::)

A long road trip can get really really long when stopping all the time to check for halves. Even for me. And I would search till the cows come home. But not get much closer to my destination. :dontknow:

So do it in moderation as long as the wife agrees, and try not to get too far off the beaten path. :icon_sunny:

Mojo

Get a checking account from BofA or Wachovia if you don't have one yet. They have many branches across the states which will help you to dump your rejects.

Yinzi50 said:
Get a checking account from BofA or Wachovia if you don't have one yet. They have many branches across the states which will help you to dump your rejects.

The wife is in agreement. She enjoyes it as much as i do. Probably cause she knows that more silver means more shoes. lol
I have a wachovia account but no BOA account. Does BOA have coin counters because i have never seen a wachovia with one. Thanks

jrf30 said:
At least $10K.

If a person has that much cash on them, they need to have documentation from their bank (showing the withdrawal date and amount, etc).

Many police departments like to seize cash in traffic stops if the amount is that large (called forfeiture). Basically the burden is on you to prove where the money came from, and they can seize it without arresting you for anything.

Jim

jim4silver said:
jrf30 said:
At least $10K.

If a person has that much cash on them, they need to have documentation from their bank (showing the withdrawal date and amount, etc).

Many police departments like to seize cash in traffic stops if the amount is that large (called forfeiture). Basically the burden is on you to prove where the money came from, and they can seize it without arresting you for anything.

Jim

WOW!!! that would suck!!!

If I were you I would hit as many banks as possible on the way to AK, because once you get to AK the banks are totally out of halves. I mean not any, I wouldn't even bother going down to check any of the banks. Did I mention all the banks in AK are out of halves?!? lol

I just moved from Wasilla AK but still work there. I pick up as much as I can when I fly home and dump my rejects at local banks. My theory is that I will eventually go through every half the state has.

motto motto said:
If I were you I would hit as many banks as possible on the way to AK, because once you get to AK the banks are totally out of halves. I mean not any, I wouldn't even bother going down to check any of the banks. Did I mention all the banks in AK are out of halves?!? lol

I just moved from Wasilla AK but still work there. I pick up as much as I can when I fly home and dump my rejects at local banks. My theory is that I will eventually go through every half the state has.

Can they order them?

jimmy28303 said:
Yinzi50 said:

The wife is in agreement. She enjoyes it as much as i do. Probably cause she knows that more silver means more shoes. lol
I have a wachovia account but no BOA account. Does BOA have coin counters because i have never seen a wachovia with one. Thanks

Remember Wachovia bought by Wells-Fargo and Wamu bought by BOA. At all four bank's branches you can exchange coins with cashes. Good luck and write a report later

Technically, it's not a pointless question. A pointless question is one that is written with a dull pencil. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back