just a thought

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the info i was given was correct so here it goes:
when the mint made the 20 dollar gold coin in 1933 the took them back before they gotten into circulation. we know that at least one survived. do you think that it is possible for another one to have escaped into circulation and was lost before they found it. so what i am trying to get at is do you think that someone metal detecting will ever find a 1933 20 dollar gold coin, or for that matter any extremely rare coin. i know someone not that long ago found a half disme, witch made me start thinking about this.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible, in fact quite a number of 1933 $20 gold pieces survived. All known have been siezed by the government, as would be any found metal detecting.

B

BIG61AL

A twenty dollar gold coin was a very valuable coin and not likely to put in ones pocket to be lost and later found with a metal detector. A much likely event would be one turning up in recently departed relatives safety deposit box.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...so what I am trying to get at is do you think that someone metal detecting will ever find a 1933 20 dollar gold coin?
No. Lets just be honest here, shall we? The odds are so astronomical as to be unworthy of dwelling on them.
For all the millions of gold coins minted in this country alone, there are precious few of them found. Why? Because they are PRECIOUS. They represent a different sort of value for the holder, when compared to more common coins, and they are reserved, as a rule. Especially somthing like a $20 gold piece. Gold coins turn up, yes. But, you can stop holding your breath... the chances are against it.
BTW, the law forbidding ownership of gold as bullion or coin was repealed in the 1970's. Just go buy one if you want one.

"...or for that matter any extremely rare coin."
Yes. While still a long shot, this happens more frequently. Coins were not "collectible" back in the day, they were merely a medium of exchange. They got used and they got lost.
Look for them if you want, in fact, do so if you consider yourself wise - but dont forget to breath while youre at it.

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dahut said:
...so what I am trying to get at is do you think that someone metal detecting will ever find a 1933 20 dollar gold coin?
No. Lets just be honest here, shall we? The odds are so astronomical as to be unworthy of dwelling on them.
For all the millions of gold coins minted in this country alone, there are precious few of them found. Why? Because they are PRECIOUS. They represent a different sort of value for the holder, when compared to more common coins, and they are reserved, as a rule. Especially something like a $20 gold piece. Gold coins turn up, yes. But, you can stop holding your breath... the chances are against it.
BTW, the law forbidding ownership of gold as bullion or coin was repealed in the 1970's. Just go buy one if you want one.

"...or for that matter any extremely rare coin."
Yes. While still a long shot, this happens more frequently. Coins were not "collectible" back in the day, they were merely a medium of exchange. They got used and they got lost.
Look for them if you want, in fact, do so if you consider yourself wise - but dont forget to breath while youre at it.
i did not only mean like that
i also met that someone may have stole them from the mint and buried them before the gov found out what happened?
but never got them back

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such things have happened. Having knowledge about it is the key for we, the seekers after such things. Here's an example.

Ever heard of the 5 1913 "V" nickles - the ones that werent supposed to exist? In 1913 the mint switched to BUffalo nicks, but there were rumors that one of the managers had 5 of the previous "V" designs struck with 1913 on them. He was intended to give them to his daughter for a future investment.
Well, it didnt happen that way. They escaped, so to speak, and made into the world. All but four have been accounted for and the last one of those that sold at auction went for around 1 million dollars, if memory serves.
There is one supposed to be one left, last thought to be in the possession of a coin dealer who got in a severe car wreck in N. Carolina. His car was totalled, I believe he was kliled and his wares scattered alongside the road - including the "Lost V" nickel.
No one is sure if its true and nothing exists to support the rumors, yet there is the very real possibility that SOMEWHERE along the road in NC is the missing Million Dollar Nickel.

So, knowledge is the key, as in all things. Could someone have stolen some gold coins, lost them, hidden them, died, whatever? Sure. Did they? I dunno. Unless you know that it happened, well....... no point but dreaming on it, eh?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "missing" 1913 V nickel has been identified, the family of the man killed in the accident had it the whole time. It was misidentified as a counterfeit for years, only recently being authenticated. Gold coin ownership has been legalized, but not for a 1933 double eagle, the government contends they were never issued before being recalled, so can not be legally owned. Only one specimen has been "legalized". There have been stories of people hiding gold rather than turning it in when FDR banned private ownership of gold.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "missing" 1913 V nickel has been identified, the family of the man killed in the accident had it the whole time. It was misidentified as a counterfeit for years, only recently being authenticated.
And somewherealong the byways of N Carolina the roadside has been torn up ever since that fateful accident, people hot on the trail of the missing coin. Why do I bring it up?
Knowledge. Whether the family had it or not, people knew (or at least thought they did) that something like a valuale coin was there, and worth looking for.
By contrast, just hoping that something is anywhere, maybe waiting for you to get lucky enough to be able to find is a waste of time. That's really the larger point here. Knowing before you swing your coil that something worth finding exists (or probably does) in a given location is the most important part of what we do.

Gold coin ownership has been legalized, but not for a 1933 double eagle, the government contends they were never issued before being recalled, so can not be legally owned. Only one specimen has been "legalized". There have been stories of people hiding gold rather than turning it in when FDR banned private ownership of gold.
Im sure people hid and hoarded gold, and to hell with the government. I would've.
However, I would consider the odds pretty long that a secret Double Eagle had gotten out and was wating for one of us to find it.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story!

Top Member Reactions