What's new

Just about $#*! my pants when this popped out of the ground!

Dreamweaver43

Full Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
100
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
I've been tied down lately with work and family stuff, plus the heat, so I hadn't been able to get out. But this morning I got up at o'dark thirty and headed to the courthouse/early 1900 sledding hill to search for some Indians.

The first hour was uneventful, so I went back to my truck to change my coil. I started back detecting next to the truck, and got a scratchy, but solid signal. I went over it a couple of times, it was close to a trash can next to the sidewalk......so I was like nah. But it was repeatable, and I wasn't sure so I dug it expecting to pull 1/2 a soda can or something. I pulled a plug, stuck in the sunray, and bang...bang...bang, solid coin tone. One more dig and I can see the silver reeded edge of something big. I just looked at it in the hole for a while before pulling it out. I could not believe it. Seated Liberty 1875s half dollar!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to go home early, cause I couldn't concentrate anymore.

All I can figure is that it was on edge in the trash, and that why it wasn't found before. I really don't remember, because I was kinda in a state of shock. That's my 1st half dollar and my personal best find for sure.....

Dreamweaver
 

Attachments

  • 1875s Seat HD.webp
    1875s Seat HD.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 1875 Seat HD.webp
    1875 Seat HD.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 997
Upvote 0
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is one awesome find.
Thats the best FIND I've seen. Way to go!
HH
MarkG
 
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


HH
-GC
 
Wow! Beautiful! I am betting no one else ever even bothered to take a look near a dumpster. Too much crap to even bother swinging a coil. You got one lucky swing in there !
 
Awesome half Dreamweaver.

Congrats on a great find.

HH Jer
 
Believe me, I know exactly how you felt. As soon as i pulled my 1877 dime....I LEFT. Awesome find man....Truley a beauty!! I think i would be hitting that place again. Gl and HH

Dishinet
 
WOW! WOW! WOW!!

Amazing find bud!
 
Beautiful coin, great find man!!! :)
I'd be changin my pants too.
awesome!!
 
Congrats Dreamweaver on your beautiful find! I'm envious but glad for you at the same time! Thanks for sharing.

Huntin' 59er
 
I always run in smart find, so I didn't get a conduct/ferrous reading. It only slightly sounding like a coin, and bounced around with some scratchy lower tones. But it seemed to be a compact signal, meaning it was easy to pinpoint exactly were it was, regardless of the other chatter. Obviously there was some trash close by, but when I put the explorer in iron mask mode, the cursor didn't bounce to the iron side, like if it was falsing on a nail. That's what tipped me off that it could be the real deal. When I pulled the plug and hit it with the sunray probe, then it began to sound too good to be true. I never expected to find what was there though.

It was down about 5 inches.

The place is full of iron falsing signals, that drive you so nuts. But that's probably why there still some good ones left, it's a tough spot to say the least. But it's some of the oldest ground around. The place where I live was founded in 1866, and the original courthouse was built in the early 1870's, so for southern Wisconsin it's a pretty old find.

Thank you all for so many replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dreamweaver
 
Way to go dreamwaever....I'd love to find one half as nice as yours. Keep up the detecting and HH
p.s. I would probably $#*! my pants too!!!
 
Cripes...it looks brand new :o!
 
That has to be one of the most classic coins ever stamped. It is interesting that they decided there wasn't room to print "DOLLAR" so it was abbreviated to "DOL.". Excellent! :D Monty
 
Yep...I would have just about too! :D What a find!!!!!

Congrats!! Nana ;)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom