Just bought a CTX- how to prepare?

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be watching this post. I am thinking of buying a ctx and currently have an ATPro also. Keep me posted with your thoughts when you get it. Best of luck!

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently got a CTX, and Andys book is like the Bible in my opinion.
Explains every control and what it does. A very good read.
I also watched hours of videos , just search and start watching, you can pick and choose as to your liking of coarse.
I would also suggest bench testing with a good selection of targets and trash and see how they react in the different modes.If you don't have one build yourself a detector garden, worth the time and effort for sure.
BT

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also considering the CTX and just finished Andy's book. It was a great read and made the machine seem much less intemadating. The online manual scared me to death. There are many helpful videos on YouTube. Good luck.

HH RN

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pick a program, go hunting.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I ordered mine just about a year ago. Bought Andy's book to read while I was waiting.

Went out, started finding deep targets.

I have been detecting for 20 years previous, so I already know how to detect, but I immediately was productive.

I am still learning the nuances, like how to tell when it is over 2 targets, but those lessons are becoming cemented in my brain.

I love the machine, and I have no regrets.

OP
OP
PowerDubs

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I built a test garden in my backyard. Added 4 more holes after this picture- all 6 inches deep.

Started with pull tap, one flat in a hole, one up on end in the other hole. Then the same for bottle cap, zinc penny, copper penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and then on the last holes I did a quarter, square nail and something else on on hole (forget) and a smaller square nail, silver dime on end, and a nickel.

All holes six inches. Anyone want to guess what the results were?

I will try to figure out how to post YouTube videos tomorrow.

IMG_0134.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Greenie
Jan 5, 2007
New York , Suffolk County
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Cal. , CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like a few of the others here I just ordered a CTX from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies . when I first watched some videos I thought ,that CTX looks good. Then I watched a set up video and thought ,Looks difficult,maybe its not for me. Well now after watching numerous videos on setting it up and using it I think I have a pretty good idea on getting started and using it so I ordered it yesterday. I even read the manual on line so things that were over my head started rated to make sense to me. I'm sure there's several of you on here that can advise me and Bart said feel free to call.
A side note is Bart had a great package deal and let me alter it a bit so a big Thank You to Bart.

OP
OP
PowerDubs

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea- let me know what you think once you have it and have used it for a few weeks. I think that The instructions available for a basic new user are lackluster, even with Andy's book. I am not giving up yet, and will document as a learn what is going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Greenie
Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered it yesterday and with the Holiday Monday I don't expect to get it before next Saturday. I ordered Andy's book also so I expect some problems but hopefully nothing to bad. There are so many videos on them and I think I've watched just about all of them.

Happy Hunting.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have over 50 hours on it now sticking with the boot up screen, digging by sound, and only recently watching the numbers. I find it to be a great machine, balanced to be easy to swing all day long.

FE/CO numbers tend to be right on, but you'll learn to accept the variances you see. You can swing this beast with confidence. I've dug plenty signals with target and trash right together. Listen to it and you'll notice things about the sounds which will either encourage you or discourage you from digging.

And then comes the science. This year I'm going to start getting into the settings.

That's the way I've done this, may not be for you, but I'm an old sound guy. I felt it best to stick with what I knew first.

Good luck guys!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Deepseeker, are you running the coins program? Is that what you mean by boot up screen?

I programmed in the Dr Tones settings and have gotten used to that setup, and sometimes compare different target response settings.

I usually go back to Ferrous Coin, seems to work well for me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepseeker, are you running the coins program? Is that what you mean by boot up screen?

I turn it on and go.

With my Etrac I got into doing all kinds of playing with programs and just bungled the darned thing up. I was still trying to get used to the sounds. And then the weight configuration was just flat killing my elbow within a half hour of beginning use. Really frustrated me. So swinging it just wasn't a pleasant experience, actually discouraged me from using it, but I had begun to kinda understand what the sounds were saying.

I'd read about the CTX's balance, saw an opportunity to buy a used one, did and sold the Etrac.

At the time I also felt that changing the programming without trusting my ear was making it more complicated for me than it should have been. So, I just turn it on and when it settles down, I start swinging.

I'm completely comfortable with the sounds now. My temptation is to just continue this way. But then I know that if I don't really get into the guts of it, I'm shorting and limiting myself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went into programs and changed from stock 50 tone to 4 tone conductive combined much easier than 50 tone. Setting is found in Tone ID profile and if you like it you have to change each search program, if you change it in coins program it doesnt change it in the other search programs.

November 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
D, As you probably know, the CTX has MANY built in features to help us find treasure that has been buried for many years. However, the CTX can also be set up as a very basic machine right out of the box. Start out using the factory settings and as you become comfortable, make program changes to customize the CTX to your liking. Many here on TNet are available to help. GL and SH...
Like a few of the others here I just ordered a CTX from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies . when I first watched some videos I thought ,that CTX looks good. Then I watched a set up video and thought ,Looks difficult,maybe its not for me. Well now after watching numerous videos on setting it up and using it I think I have a pretty good idea on getting started and using it so I ordered it yesterday. I even read the manual on line so things that were over my head started rated to make sense to me. I'm sure there's several of you on here that can advise me and Bart said feel free to call.
A side note is Bart had a great package deal and let me alter it a bit so a big Thank You to Bart.

D

Greenie
Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Penzfan .I see you are from Floridas east coast. I'll be down there in two to three weeks ,looking forward to trying it out down there. I'll be in Indialantic.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt in Suffolk county all the time. I'll be happy to show you how to use it.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went into programs and changed from stock 50 tone to 4 tone conductive combined much easier than 50 tone. Setting is found in Tone ID profile and if you like it you have to change each search program, if you change it in coins program it doesnt change it in the other search programs.

November 20, 2017 A New Beginning!
Why anyone would hunt in 50 tone is beyond me. Reason why I couldn't get used to the etrac. Furthermore hunting in 50 tone is difficult with an open screen(which is what you want) as all iron on the right side of the screen will high tone, making you constantly look at the screen.
Modified relic program(allowing 100% open screen) 4 tones, rest of the adjustments dependent on site location. Good luck

D

Greenie
Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got the tracking number and I should have it Thursday night . My wife and I will be leaving for Florida shortly there after so I'll be playing with it down there for now.
Where in Suffolk are you? I'm sure I'll need help and welcome your invitation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions