Just curious. New here.

Chops

Apr 18, 2022
The only treasure I am seeking is knowledge and insight. Before I go around crashing different threads, I have one burning question that I never fully get the answer to. '

So, I am watching this vlog of some guy going down some shaft of an abandoned gold mine. He's really down there and comes to a drift. He follows the drift and suddenly the old tram rails veer to the right, and a few more yards, sharp to the left. All the time he has just enough room to barefly stand and can almost touch each wall with each hand.

Ok, follow the vein, check. Assay samples as you hack your way through this impossible rock in the gloom, check. Now can some tell me how in the blue blazes you suddenly say, "gee we need to go down 150 feet, and right here let's go left and kill ourselves moving tons of rock and breath buckets of dust."

I read a tid-bit about the Six (Welsh) Guys Mine. That was some pretty sophisticated reading of the geology- and in age when Continental Drift and all the rest of it was largely hypothetical, these guys were pretty damn prescient. Did they ever say, "oy, mate, that there is an ancient stream bed just hanging out the side of a canyon in the middle of the bloomin' desert?" They were clearly not operating on a 7 Day Creation Model.

So, will one of you kindly direct me to some links so I don't bother you with more newbie questions?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net.

I used the Search function in the upper righthand corner and typed, "following a vein in a mine" and found this...

OP
OP
C

Chops

Apr 18, 2022
Welcome to T Net.

I used the Search function in the upper righthand corner and typed, "following a vein in a mine" and found this...

Thanks. I gather there are placer mines and ...already forgot, mines you have to dig a hole in the ground. So, here you are, digging your life away, like a damn mole, and how do you know to go straight down? I guess a core sample would do it, but then, once there, which way do you dig? The amount of effort to burrow into stone, some hard, some not, boggles my mind. I guess if you're hungry, you'll do it.

Got these abandoned shafts in El Paso where miners chipped their way into the baked hot desert moonscape in search of copper, which is even worse, as one would have to dig up so much of it before it paid, and then haul the ore through truly hateful country that is designed to kill you, to a place where the ore can be smelted. You sure as Hell can't smelt it yourself, as there isn't a stick to burn for a fire within hundreds of miles.

"There Shall Be Blood" gave some good insight into the maniacal drive that made men dig into the Earth. These holes in the ground are monuments to tenacity.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post any further comments on a new thread you make about it, "New Member Introductions" forum is not meant for treasure stories, it is strictly to introduce yourself.

Thanks and welcome to TreasureNet.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions