Just dug 6 Pounder

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Wow. Been almost 3 hours, and I can still hardly believe it. Had time to drive home, shower, eat some leftovers, and try to take pictures. Naturally, I can't get the phone to talk to the computer, so I'm emailing the photos from my phone to the PC. Talk about complicated. :BangHead: :BangHead:

Recently, I got permission to hunt a different property near where I normally dig, in search for ACW relics. Yesterday was my first opportunity to get out there, and right away I knew it was a good place to hunt. First signal was a musket cap, my first one ever. Dug several more pistol balls, and spent some time just talking to the landowners, who gave me the "come back any time" welcome.

So, today after riding my bike (I'm also a Roadie), I geared up and hit the woods. The landowner and two children followed me for a bit, and we dug some modern bullets (this is also a deer hunting property) and a fired roundball. The audience left after a while, and I continued on my own.

I know there's no such thing as "never been hunted" but this is as close as you'll find. I hunted in absolute silence for more than an hour (not even any trash), dug a pistol ball, and came to a steep hill. This is my kind of hunting. Where ever it's difficult to walk, it's not been hunted too much. I started down the REAL steep hill, and right away dug a fired minnie. Good sign. It was shallow, and really screamed in my headphones.

I continued down slope for a while, then decided to turn left, and climb back up, parallel to where I'd descended. Got a shallow 'iron/foil' signal, that read 1 inch. Dug out a plug, and nothing. It's still in the hole. Well, the hillside is so steep, I have to get on my knees, and dig. Rechecking the hole after every handful of dirt, the target still reads 'iron' and 1 inch, but now I'm about 7 inches down. I uncover some rust and right away I know I have a cannon ball fragment. I reach around the edges, and they're aren't any. IT'S A WHOLE 6 POUNDER!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I am sorry I didn't have my phone, but it's brand new (the phone), and I don't want to tear it up. So, no in situ pictures.

The walk out of the woods took maybe 15 minutes, and I knock on the owner's door. The lady of the house comes out and I show her the ball. I tell her it's like winning the Powerball, as I don't know what else to compare it to. I call the local relic shop, but get their machine. I later learn they're closed on Sunday. I really wanted John and Nikki to see it, it's the first one I've ever found. (Can you tell? :laughing7: :laughing7:)

So, I'm trying to get the pictures loaded, so bear with me.

Attachments

• Cannonball.jpg
    Cannonball.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 820
Upvote 0
Re: Just dug

Couple more pictures.

Attachments

• Cannonball on scale.jpg
    Cannonball on scale.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 885
  • Cannonball without tape measure.jpg
    Cannonball without tape measure.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 933

Probably a dumb question, but, didn't these contain an explosive, i.e. black powder? If it was, I'm sure it is long since gone bad from moisture.

Nice find and keep us informed on what you find out about it.

That's a great find. Be careful with that thing, they can be moody :wink:

Top notch find. I am trying to dig one of those down here. :icon_pirat:

Get her defused and enjoy! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

EXCELLENT! Love digging artillery. I think that you may have a Confederate 6 pounder. The way the fuse is higher that the iron it sure looks like it. You really need to hit that area hard since it may be an impact area. Listen for the DEEP iron signals and dig them all. Congratulations on your first cannonball.

Roland58 said:
didn't these contain an explosive, i.e. black powder?

Yes, they do. It's still viable, once it dries out, too. Right now, it's likely pretty wet, having absorbed ground moisture for the past 150 years. I'll get it de-milled.

oxbowbarefoot said:
That's a great find. Be careful with that thing, they can be moody :wink:

Yes, I will. Thanks, by the way.

PinFire said:
Congrats on that 6 lb. Bormann!! Those are really hard to find!

Real hard to find if you ask me. :laughing7: :laughing7: Been digging here for about 7 years.

BuckleBoy said:
Top notch find. I am trying to dig one of those down here. :icon_pirat:

Get her defused and enjoy! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks. I'm always envious of the Iron Brigades' finds. :notworthy: :notworthy:

James from TN said:
EXCELLENT! Love digging artillery. I think that you may have a Confederate 6 pounder. The way the fuse is higher that the iron it sure looks like it. You really need to hit that area hard since it may be an impact area. Listen for the DEEP iron signals and dig them all. Congratulations on your first cannonball.

Thanks. I'm certain it's Confederate, based on where it was found, and whom had the 6 pounders in that fight. (Only Confederates did). I plan on getting back there as soon as I can.

Thanks, everyone for reading this, too.

Now I have to ask......where do you take it to for de-fusing (making it inert)? BTW, I just saw one on the Net that sold for $308 in "dug" condition

Roland58 said:
Now I have to ask......where do you take it to for de-fusing (making it inert)? BTW, I just saw one on the Net that sold for $308 in "dug" condition

Well, this is not to be tried at home. EXPERTS ONLY! Seriously.

I know a relic shop owner, whom also can de-mil the shell, so I'll get it to him as soon as I can. I don't EXACTLY know how it's done, but again, EXPERTS ONLY! Don't try this at home.

This one won't be for sale. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Edit: I hope he still does this!!

My hat is off to you sir , very awesome find my man !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back