Just dug the finest large cent I have ever seen come out of the ground! 1826 Matron Head Cent

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today, after extensive rains thawed the frozen ground here in New England, I thought I would bust out the Legend for a little night time adventure. I went to the same spot on my property where I recently dug a 1788 Mass Copper, and within 15 minutes, about 15 feet from where I found the Mass Copper, I got a nice sounding 52 on the Legend. Pulled up the soaking wet plug, and I could tell right away I just found a nice large cent! The details were quite visible before even attempting to remove any soil. I quickly brought her into the house to be cleaned up, and I simply could not believe the fantastic state of preservation of this coin; I have never found a copper coin of comparable age in such fantastic shape. I will be out looking for more at the first opportunity! Results to follow!

Attachments

• 20231211_203448.jpg
    20231211_203448.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 20231211_203512.jpg
    20231211_203512.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 20231211_194322.jpg
    20231211_194322.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 273
Upvote 67

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today, after extensive rains thawed the frozen ground here in New England, I thought I would bust out the Legend for a little night time adventure. I went to the same spot on my property where I recently dug a 1788 Mass Copper, and within 15 minutes, about 15 feet from where I found the Mass Copper, I got a nice sounding 52 on the Legend. Pulled up the soaking wet plug, and I could tell right away I just found a nice large cent! The details were quite visible before even attempting to remove any soil. I quickly brought her into the house to be cleaned up, and I simply could not believe the fantastic state of preservation of this coin; I have never found a copper coin of comparable age in such fantastic shape. I will be out looking for more at the first opportunity! Results to follow!
That's a beauty for sure!!! Congrats!

Iowa Dale

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to find a dug large cent that nice. Excellent find!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow looks like it was dropped yesterday.
Thank you for checking it out! I almost couldn't believe it when I dug it out of the ground. Almost every large cent or copper cent I dig is nearly completely toasted. I almost gave up on ever finding one in good condition. Pretty wild how soil conditions, location, depth, etc. can have such a huge impact on preservation.

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone for your nice comments. I had to share this one, because I was very excited about finding a large cent in such great shape. At least in New England, I never dig cents of any type in this shape. I rarely dig a wheat cent I can easily date.

Here is another photo of the coin during cleaning. If anyone is curious, I just used distilled water, toothpick, and cotton swabs to clean (very gently). I have lost too many finds to harsh cleaning; these coins can be ruined so easily if not careful.

Attachments

• 20231211_200055~2.jpg
    20231211_200055~2.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 39

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it turned out beautiful with a perfect layer of green copper patina. Way better than the restoration I engaged in when I was 12 years old using the Comet and a damp sponge I got out of the bathroom. At the time I was thinking I was doing an outstanding job from how bright and lustery they looked after I took the time to shine 😅 Wish I could go back and smack that 12 year old me, as I was buffing to re-blue the 1950s Colt Woodsman that came down to me. 😠 I sold that gun in the early 80s because it tortured me so on what I did. Still it was a fun shooter the day it went to this Texan who couldn't stop bringing up the fact of the condition during the price with some trade negotiation.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow thaz largie is sharp!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread