Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dillsburg Pennsylvania woman finds black widow spider in grapes

DILLSBURG - Yvonne Whelan said she found a live spider in the grapes she purchased at a local supermarket.
A local expert said it was a dangerous black widow.
Whelan, from Dillsburg, said she bought the red grapes last week. On Thursday, she pulled them out of the fridge. While she was rising and eating them, she found the spider.
"The next thing I know, there was this leg coming up over a grape and needless to say I dropped by grapes in the sink," Whelan said.
She put the creepy crawler in a plastic container and later that night a bug expert came to take a closer look.
"There's no mistaking a black widow, even in a juvenile form like this. There is just enough there that you can really tell it's a black widow," Ryan "The Bug Man" Bridge said.Those at Giant Food Stores admit is does happen from time to time. Whelan said she brought them at the Dillsburg location.

Dillsburg woman finds black widow spider in grapes

Shoppers get a surprise as black widow spiders found in grapes in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

First it was venomous Brazilian wandering spiders found on a bunch of bananas.
Now, the lethal black widow spider has been found on grapes in several supermarkets in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

According to the Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel, a woman who purchased grapes from a Milwaukee-area supermarket found a live black widow spider in the container.

Shoppers get a surprise as black widow spiders found in grapes | Fox News

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Black Widows are very common here. Seems the most common. Pretty as spiders go. They can't take WD40. Small squirt and there gone in seconds. Dogs don't tolerate a bite well so I keep the property cleared. Strange a dog can tolerate a rattlesnake fairly well but not a spider.
Widows build the ugliest web. No pattern to it and it's very tough. A friend was going in his crawl space, very dark and could see little. Then he felt the web on his forehead and knew immediately by the feel it was a widow web. He learned he could move real fast if properly motivated.

I was in New Orleans down where the food comes in off ships and is sold in open market. When I went to check out the bananas the guy stopped me with a warning. Check for tarantellas first. OK. I guess bugs like to hide out in food.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
They said to "capture the spider and release it outside ..."

Nope, we have too many here already. Kill it.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
They said to "capture the spider and release it outside ..."

Nope, we have too many here already. Kill it.

This sounds like the coyote problem we have here. The two sides always arguing about what to do. Both sides can get down right unfriendly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread